Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Hella FF75's to replace fog lights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 12:02 PM

I know most are using the FF75's to replace their headlights, but I just want to use them to replace my fog lights. Has anyone done this? Do they fit?

What about the wiring. I read about some of the problems with the wiring on the headlights and I will probably want to go with 100W bulbs, so is the existing fog light wiring adequate enough to handle FF75's with 100W bulbs?

Lastly, who has the best price on these?
Old 07-07-2003, 12:48 PM

Lightbulb

To be honest, I'm not sure if anyone has tried them in the fog light locations...yet. There really shouldn't be any problems with the wiring...just use the wiring that's supplied with the lights. The best price I found on them was Advance Auto...right around $60/pair.

Be sure to post pics if you do this!
Old 07-07-2003, 01:51 PM

Re: Hella FF75's to replace fog lights?

Originally posted by RoMaD
I know most are using the FF75's to replace their headlights, but I just want to use them to replace my fog lights. Has anyone done this? Do they fit?

What about the wiring. I read about some of the problems with the wiring on the headlights and I will probably want to go with 100W bulbs, so is the existing fog light wiring adequate enough to handle FF75's with 100W bulbs?

Lastly, who has the best price on these?
The existing wiring COULD handle them with a relay - but I wouldn't suggest it - like Brian said - just use the wiring that comes with them. It most likely wouldn't look right in a Camaro though - they are too big. Think I am crazy - just stick one of your headlights in the fog light hole and see how good it looks - about the same difference.

Advance Auto Parts is the cheapest I have found as well.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:12 PM

Re: Re: Hella FF75's to replace fog lights?

Originally posted by 94BlackBowtie
The existing wiring COULD handle them with a relay - but I wouldn't suggest it - like Brian said - just use the wiring that comes with them. It most likely wouldn't look right in a Camaro though - they are too big. Think I am crazy - just stick one of your headlights in the fog light hole and see how good it looks - about the same difference.

Advance Auto Parts is the cheapest I have found as well.
Hey Dalton, what about the FF50...it's a little smaller in size...I wonder if it would fit a little better?
Old 07-07-2003, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by silver97Z
Hey Dalton, what about the FF50...it's a little smaller in size...I wonder if it would fit a little better?
Actually - BPS has the FF50's in his fog's. He also has FF75's for headlights - it looks pretty good - but still not my cup of tea. Here's a pic - I just don't like round style lights on our cars.

Last edited by 94BlackBowtie; 07-07-2003 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:42 PM

Hmm... I was under the impression that the FF75's were roughly the same size of the stock fogs, except possibly deeper, which is what I was most worried about. However, I haven't taken any measurements yet either, so I truly don't know. Guess, I'll have to bust out the measuring tape.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:15 PM

Hmm... I was under the impression that the FF75's were roughly the same size of the stock fogs, except possibly deeper, which is what I was most worried about. However, I haven't taken any measurements yet either, so I truly don't know. Guess, I'll have to bust out the measuring tape.
The FF75's are almost exactly the same size as the stock headlights. The stock fogs are quite a bit smaller.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:07 AM

hellas are almost an inch smaller in height. they will fit. ive seen it somewhere on this forum. the guy had all three sets as ff75's. he had a red car with a ss hood, and 18" wheels.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:19 AM

The FF75's seem to have a much lower profile than the stock headlights though. While they may be as wide (6" according to Hella's site), I've never thought they looked quite right in the headlight area. Though, at 6", the Hellas would be 3/4" wider than my current Pilot PL800C's and would probably not allow me to even get any tools on either side of the already cramped space in there.

So, with it looking more and more like the FF75's won't fit and I'm not really sold on the FF50's (yet), I would like anyone's suggestion on a light that does fit, but does not use the infamous H3 bulb. The reason for this, is I've used all types of different bulbs in my Pilots, ranging from the bargain basement AutoZone specials, to Syvlania's long-life H3's and none of them last for more than a few months. So unless anyone knows of an H3 bulb that can last for a year or more, I don't want to even mess with a light that uses them. Also, I would prefer something that looks somewhat stock for no other reason than to fit in the stock locations correctly. This fact, nearly negates the FF50 as a candidate, but I will go with those before I go with any of the Piaa or Pilot selections, which to my knowledge, all use an H3 bulb.

I am open to suggestions, but I definitely don't want to be McGuyvering anything together. I want it to look clean and better than stock. Obviously, the actual usable light is a main factor too.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:28 PM

The FF75's seem to have a much lower profile than the stock headlights though. While they may be as wide (6" according to Hella's site), I've never thought they looked quite right in the headlight area. Though, at 6", the Hellas would be 3/4" wider than my current Pilot PL800C's and would probably not allow me to even get any tools on either side of the already cramped space in there.

So, with it looking more and more like the FF75's won't fit and I'm not really sold on the FF50's (yet), I would like anyone's suggestion on a light that does fit, but does not use the infamous H3 bulb. The reason for this, is I've used all types of different bulbs in my Pilots, ranging from the bargain basement AutoZone specials, to Syvlania's long-life H3's and none of them last for more than a few months. So unless anyone knows of an H3 bulb that can last for a year or more, I don't want to even mess with a light that uses them. Also, I would prefer something that looks somewhat stock for no other reason than to fit in the stock locations correctly. This fact, nearly negates the FF50 as a candidate, but I will go with those before I go with any of the Piaa or Pilot selections, which to my knowledge, all use an H3 bulb.

I am open to suggestions, but I definitely don't want to be McGuyvering anything together. I want it to look clean and better than stock. Obviously, the actual usable light is a main factor too.
Very nice post!

Well - it sounds like you are looking for a light "like" the ones I used for a while - check out some pics in the link in my sig. They are Pilot's, and they use an H3 bulb. The stock bulbs in them didn't last long, but the bulbs I replaced them with were excellent!

If you like what you have, try some Hella Optilux Xenon White bulbs - available at most Advance Auto Parts. They lasted for as long as I used them - never has any problems. You may have a short or something as well in your wiring. Any kind of bad current and a gas charged bulb will blow. You may want to consider checking it out. I understand your frustration though.

If you get a good housing (good reflective qualities) and a good bulb, an H3 setup will do you very well. While I had those Pilots in my car, I could just about drive with them - honestly. Check out that link in my sig though - it might be an option for you.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:43 PM

Yes, I've always wondered about my wiring, but never had a problem with the stockers, I just wanted something brighter. The weird thing is, the bulbs don't just blow out, they get dimmer and dimmer and then finally go out. I'm not really liking the Pilots I have any more and with the constant replacement of bulbs, the brackets are no longer securing them as well as they should. So now my driver's side light is a littler droopier than the passenger side, and the adjustment screw is all the way in. So there is no more adjustment to raise it up, only down.

I will look into those other lights. I figured if anyone knew of a good solid replacement, someone here would. I can give those others a try and see if they last. If they don't, then I'll be 99% sure I've got a wiring problem.
Old 07-13-2003, 06:24 PM

I replaced my foglights with FF75s. They are a huge improvement. Pics in my sig.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:29 PM

Nice Bud! Looks better than what I expected!
Old 07-14-2003, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by Bud M
I replaced my foglights with FF75s. They are a huge improvement. Pics in my sig.
That looks great Bud! What did it take to get those to fit? If you have any installation tips at all, please let me know. I am really interested in doing this!

I have been looking at 94BlackBowtie's guide on how he did his Pilots, and thinking that a variation on that could work for some other lights. If your install is similar, I would like to know that too.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:20 AM

In case anyone missed my thread about this, I also converted my fogs to Hella FF75 driving lights. I had a local friend fab up some replacement mounting brackets for them.

They fit fine and are BRIGHT, even with the stock bulbs. I don't really need my low beams now...

I highly suggest this mod, as it's only about double what new bulbs for stock housings cost ($60) and comes with bulbs, wiring, relay too.

Quick Reply: Hella FF75's to replace fog lights?