Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Headlights at night?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by Trans AM 22502
On my 93' T/A, I have a switch/dial that has 3 options, off, parking lights, and headlights. I would think this hasn't changed on the 97's.

No, that hasn't changed...what he was talking about was the auto-on headlights...they automatically come on when it starts to get dark. Mine used to pop on driving in parking garages and stuff like that...they can be pretty annoying.

Brian
Old 10-25-2002, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by 94BlackBowtie
This is how it works on my wife's new car...until you release the e-brake, the lights are off...as soon as it is released all the way, they come on. Try just pulling it up a little, it should have enough play in the linkage to be able to pull it up a couple of clicks without actually "activating."
Yes, that is correct.
Once you pull on your road, turn the car off. Pull up on the e*brake about 1 click. Turn the car on....no auto headlights. You can work them with the switch. Now just turn on your parking lamps and fogs (like you wanted) and you are all set.

Once you put down the brake the auto lights will come back on.

FYI = doing the e*brake/light mod will disable your ABS.
You shouldn't be going that fast anyways if you are trying to sneak home, but I wanted to let you know.

Milo.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:37 PM

Thumbs down

I just recently bought a mint 1996 Z28 camaro but the headlights wont turn on when its dark out. Any ideas why? I have to manually turn them on. Tey might have been moded
Old 02-01-2003, 12:47 AM

For regular driving I would not reccomend this, not sure on camaros but on other GM cars depressing the parking brake or setting the parking brake also disables the ABS system. But again I am not sure for sure......
Old 02-01-2003, 06:39 PM

96 doesnt not have auto headlights if you want that they make a kit somewhere so you can rigg it to come on just do a search on the internet like on google
Old 02-01-2003, 06:51 PM

Yeah... I have a 96 Z28 SS and the head lights are on no matter what... e-brake and whatnot.... or at least I think.. maybe there is a way to turn them off.... oh well, don't really care, not the lights that will wake anyone up, it's the sound
Old 02-03-2003, 02:03 PM

so I guess upgrading your headlights isn't a good idea just yet? Not sure if this still works or if I'm even right but try this. Lift up the center console and look at your shifter (from the bottom). I believe a wire comes off the shifter that lets the computer know when the car is out of park. (you change it from park to drive, the wire is now "hot" so the lights come on). If at all possible, take the wire, disconnect it from drive, and attach it to something else. If that does work, test it!!! I am pretty sure (but not 100%) this will still give you ABS breaks and it will not "activate" your lights. I mean if I had a 97, I'd try it to. But dude, I could only afford a 1994 lol
Old 02-03-2003, 02:19 PM

Don't do the thing with the parking brake.
You will have the light in the dash about the parking brake being set, you disable the ABS/ASR, and I have heard it affects the air bag function too.
The sensor that turns the lights on and off is up on top of the dash. Inside the center vent.
The upper dash is held on with velcro from what I understand. You should find a mod page with instructions, but all you do is pull up the upper dash cover, unplug the photosensor and replace it with a .39 cent resistor from Radio Shack. Now the car thinks it is daylight all the time, and you don't have to monkey with half-@ssed tricks everytime you drive the car.
Good luck
Dave

Btw: On my site I have some other lighting mods that will probably work on your 97 too. I have a mod to allow you to use the foglights anytime your lights are on, even high beams. A mod to turn on all 4 headlights with high beams. A mod to disable DRLs, especially nice if you paid good money for clear corners and dislike the fact that the DRLs cancel out a nice appearance mod.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:28 PM

Or you could just back your car in and save you all this work
Old 02-03-2003, 04:01 PM

hmmm, rewire ONE wire or rip apart your dash, go to radio shack and get a resister, and then soder it in. lol yea my "rewire one wire" was so much work.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by White Z 4 Show
hmmm, rewire ONE wire or rip apart your dash, go to radio shack and get a resister, and then soder it in. lol yea my "rewire one wire" was so much work.
Tear your dash apart?
The cover lifts right up... the sensor unplugs... the resistor plugs in.
This is not an experiment. This is proven to work.
Oh, that's right, your working on a 94... it's a different animal.
I have never heard of someone getting the console wiring to make a difference.
Couple other points:
1)Anything you do in the console will still cause the car to disable the systems previously mentioned.
2)It is harder to get into the console then to pull up the upper dash cover.

I don't know where the attitude came from, you said yourself you were guessing. I just supplied the proper fix for a 97.
Just a heads up.
Dave