Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Headlight upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 09:07 AM

Headlight upgrade

I have carbon fiber headlight covers that diminish night time lighting. They aren't blackouts but probably fall into the category of smoked. I realize they are not legal but I can remove them at will and I rarely have the car out in the night. Still, I would like to improve my light projection on the rare occasions that I'm driving after dark.

I have read that headlights don't just blow out, they degrade. I'm thinking any new bulb will brighten things up some. I have also read that my 95s rectangular sealed beams can be modified to accept a replacement bulb even though they are designed to be replaced in total. I'm guessing that I can carefully pry the lighting element structure from the sealed beam and "glue" a bulb into the new opening in the sealed beam. From what I'm reading here, it would seem that I can buy the Silverstar bulbs and glue them into my sealed beam unit with silicone sealant. Can this also be done with the PIAA replacement bulbs and are PIAA just another type of bulb and if so, are they significantly better for this modification?

Also, I'd like to know more about upgrading to 85W bulbs. Do I need to get new or replacement relays and how difficult is it to re-wire the section of the harness to 12 gauge; where are the relays and do I need to disassemble any part of the vehicle to replace the wire and/or relay(s)?

Thanks
Old 02-13-2006, 09:51 AM

Re: Headlight upgrade

Originally Posted by Z28_95RIDE
I have carbon fiber headlight covers that diminish night time lighting. They aren't blackouts but probably fall into the category of smoked. I realize they are not legal but I can remove them at will and I rarely have the car out in the night. Still, I would like to improve my light projection on the rare occasions that I'm driving after dark.

I have read that headlights don't just blow out, they degrade. I'm thinking any new bulb will brighten things up some. I have also read that my 95s rectangular sealed beams can be modified to accept a replacement bulb even though they are designed to be replaced in total. I'm guessing that I can carefully pry the lighting element structure from the sealed beam and "glue" a bulb into the new opening in the sealed beam. From what I'm reading here, it would seem that I can buy the Silverstar bulbs and glue them into my sealed beam unit with silicone sealant. Can this also be done with the PIAA replacement bulbs and are PIAA just another type of bulb and if so, are they significantly better for this modification?

Also, I'd like to know more about upgrading to 85W bulbs. Do I need to get new or replacement relays and how difficult is it to re-wire the section of the harness to 12 gauge; where are the relays and do I need to disassemble any part of the vehicle to replace the wire and/or relay(s)?

Thanks
1. Your eyes aren't kidding you, ANY covers over headlamps diminish light output. There's no way around that.

2. Since this last paragraph is a short "?", I suggest reading up on headlight wiring at danielsternlighting.com, as he has this stuff already lined out for you.

3. As for the biggie about lights for the crummy factory headlights, well, if you could do something about the actual lens and reflector in the factory units, Silverstars would help. But, not really, since 55w coated bulbs can't do anymore than a clear 55w bulb. I just read a CR report yesterday at a mall bookstore that showed that the GE Nighthawks were the best performers out of this genre of bulb, but it tested only better than OEM clear bulbs in a Honda Ridgeline, but all were inconsistent in various other vehicles! It's your money, you have been informed. PIAAs are no better. Just even more overpriced than Silverstars.

Google for "Consumer reports headlight bulb test" (without quotes, mind you)and get the jist of it.

Anyway, I pretty much said "screw it" and bought two pairs of Nissan s13 car projectors. I only wanted one pair, but hey, who can complain....that should help things when I get to test fit them in a few days.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:36 AM

I bought EuroLight.com's headlight conversion kit. Instead of having sealed beams, I can now plug in bulbs on the fly, no gluing or anything like that. I tried the method of gluing in bulbs into the stock headlights and my bulbs wouldn't last more than 6 months even if I was careful as can be about not getting anything on the bulb.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by meissenation
I bought EuroLight.com's headlight conversion kit.

link me to them i cant seem to find them anywhere

ps. the cars looking god man
Old 02-13-2006, 11:37 AM

I bought EuroLight.com's headlight conversion kit. Instead of having sealed beams, I can now plug in bulbs on the fly, no gluing or anything like that. I tried the method of gluing in bulbs into the stock headlights and my bulbs wouldn't last more than 6 months even if I was careful as can be about not getting anything on the bulb.
Can you guide me a little on what I should buy. I'm on the eurolights.com site but for me the information is scant. What exactly did YOU buy?

If you had it to do again, would you have bought anything different?

thanks
Old 02-13-2006, 11:57 AM

Ah, this is better than I thought. They (eurolights.com) have a faq and promise to reply to questions. If they come back with a good reply that tells me what I need, I'll place the order. I didn't want to get too deeply into this as the car is purely a pleasure vehicle and will see very little miles. Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by oneslowz28
link me to them i cant seem to find them anywhere
it's http://eurolamps.com/eurolamps/home.htm
Old 02-13-2006, 12:49 PM

I used Silverstar 9006's in my stock housings. Tore old ones out, epoxy'd new ones in. Works great.

Silverstar 9006 - Low
Silverstar 9005 - High
Old 02-13-2006, 12:56 PM

Sheesh, eurolamps.com replied already. They have a complete conversion package for $149 shipped. Choice of Blue White, Blue Gold and Yellow Ion.

I know the blue white are difficult to look into on incoming traffic. I think I either want the Blue Gold or Yellow Ion. Both of the latter claim 25% increase in lighting. For some reason the Blue White has no percent claim.

Anyone have a recommendation on the color?

thanks
Old 02-13-2006, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by AlfredB18
1. Your eyes aren't kidding you, ANY covers over headlamps diminish light output. There's no way around that.

2. Since this last paragraph is a short "?", I suggest reading up on headlight wiring at danielsternlighting.com, as he has this stuff already lined out for you.

3. As for the biggie about lights for the crummy factory headlights, well, if you could do something about the actual lens and reflector in the factory units, Silverstars would help. But, not really, since 55w coated bulbs can't do anymore than a clear 55w bulb. I just read a CR report yesterday at a mall bookstore that showed that the GE Nighthawks were the best performers out of this genre of bulb, but it tested only better than OEM clear bulbs in a Honda Ridgeline, but all were inconsistent in various other vehicles! It's your money, you have been informed. PIAAs are no better. Just even more overpriced than Silverstars.

Google for "Consumer reports headlight bulb test" (without quotes, mind you)and get the jist of it.

Anyway, I pretty much said "screw it" and bought two pairs of Nissan s13 car projectors. I only wanted one pair, but hey, who can complain....that should help things when I get to test fit them in a few days.
I take it your talking about a comparison of "stock sealed beams" and not the glue in 9005/9006 Halogen bulbs. As these are considerably brighter than stock, even in the stock lenses and do not require any wiring mods.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:22 PM

x2. unless you wanna rewire your entire electrical system just buy the plug n play housings.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Z28_95RIDE
Sheesh, eurolamps.com replied already. They have a complete conversion package for $149 shipped. Choice of Blue White, Blue Gold and Yellow Ion.

I know the blue white are difficult to look into on incoming traffic. I think I either want the Blue Gold or Yellow Ion. Both of the latter claim 25% increase in lighting. For some reason the Blue White has no percent claim.

Anyone have a recommendation on the color?

thanks
Please post when your install is complete. Don't know if this is the same guy but when I ordered my kit (high and low beams) from the E-Bay site I got two low beam reflectors/lenses modified correctly, ie. they were a bolt in. But the high beams were in fact two modified low beam reflector/lenses and would have to be install upside down and a notch cut out of the light support structure. Each stock reflector and lens is designed for for its specific spot and has a specific beam pattern for that light. In other works, the pattern for the high beams is different then the pattern for the low beams. Turning a low beam lens upside down will not provide the correct beam pattern for proper lighting. I had to go out and buy my own high beams and mod them using the parts off those from the kit.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:48 PM

ordering a kit now
Old 02-13-2006, 01:48 PM

ordering a kit now
Old 02-13-2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
Please post when your install is complete. Don't know if this is the same guy but when I ordered my kit (high and low beams) from the E-Bay site I got two low beam reflectors/lenses modified correctly, ie. they were a bolt in. But the high beams were in fact two modified low beam reflector/lenses and would have to be install upside down and a notch cut out of the light support structure. Each stock reflector and lens is designed for for its specific spot and has a specific beam pattern for that light. In other works, the pattern for the high beams is different then the pattern for the low beams. Turning a low beam lens upside down will not provide the correct beam pattern for proper lighting. I had to go out and buy my own high beams and mod them using the parts off those from the kit.
Does this look familiar when you bought off of ebaymotors:

Mike C.
@EuroLights(tm)

I really don't want the high beams to be low beams turned upside down. Please let me know if this is the same source.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Headlight upgrade