Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

guys with the WingsWest 98+ SS wing Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 12:40 PM

guys with the WingsWest 98+ SS wing Please Help!!

I received my brand new Wings West 98+ SS wing the other day and today I decided to try and test fit it before I get it painted. I have read all the other threads regarding this wing so I pretty much knew what to expect. The guy where I bought it said that Wings West has recently updated this wing and fixed the LED third brake light problem some guys were getting, and also fixed the problem where the wing sits to high.
Well I test fit the wing and to my surprise it fit very well! However, im not sure if this is the problem you guys were having, but in the middle of both sides of the wing it sits slightly high, but at both ends front and back it sits perfectly flush. How did you guys fix this problem? sand the top of the wing? the bottom where it bolts up or both top and bottom? Please let me know asap as a friend of mine is gonna fit me in tomorrow at the body shop to get this wing painted. Here is a link to a pic I just took showing where it sits high. Also, part of this problem will be fixed when I re-adjust the hatch latch and stoppers etc, but even still just in the middle is sat slightly high. Picture makes it look worse than it is partially due to the angle I took the picture.

Thanks very much for your help
JT

Last edited by JTS95TA; 01-25-2004 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:34 PM

Well, yours fits better than mine. Mine is high all the way along. I have heard people sanding the mounts on the hatch down to make it fit flush, not the spoiler.
I haven't done mine yet, as I need to adjustr the hatch. The part near the hinges sit low and you can see it get higher toward the rear, so I didn't want to fit it to the wrong angle.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:30 PM

man it looks great really ... don't sweat it. Once it's painted it will look great. My OEM 98+SS spoiler isn't a whole lot better than yours. It looked ???? mounted on my car in the spoilers original silver color and awesome when painted matching black. It blends better. Not many of our cars are PERFECTLY aligned in every body panel seam.

tried to hook the 3rd brake light up yet ???

that's always a hot topic
Old 01-27-2004, 09:30 AM

No I have not tried the third brake light yet. However the guy at the place that I bought it from said that the problem guys were having has been fixed in the WingsWest kit so there wont be a problem. Hope he is right. Also, not sure if this has changed, but the LED third brake light appears to be a OEM SLP part. Has SLP part numbers on it. The wing is currently at the paint shop now. SHould turn out really good as I took it to a shop that works on nothing but very high end cars. When I was there there was an M3, new SLK 55, M5, DTS and a few other nice cars being worked on. The wing will be done and installed tomorrow. I will post more pics then.
Thanks
Old 01-29-2004, 07:01 AM

Thats about how mine fits too except mine raises up a little tiny bit more on the end. From the pics, your is a 97-up, correct? You wont have any probs with the 3rd brake light. When i put mine on, i hooked it up straight and havent had the first problem.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:03 PM

snake_skinner93,

Your car and wing look nice. Im not sure if you have messed with it since that rear shot of your car on your cardomain site, but it looks like you can adjust and lower your rear hatch a lot.The gaps looks pretty big above your taillights etc etc. Have you messed with those rubber stoppers yet? Besides adjusting those, you can also adjust the actual hatch latch. You can move it up, down, left and right. Turns out my wing wasnt able to get done yesterday but they said for sure today so im just waiting on a phone call from them. As soon as I do get it I will take some nice pics and post them on the boards here.
Later
Old 01-29-2004, 02:46 PM

How much does it cost to get it painted?
Old 01-29-2004, 03:02 PM

It cost me $200 for the work. I went to a real good shop and that price obviously includes everything such as all prep work, paint and clear. They also have a deal where if for any reaosn im not happy I can bring it right back and they warranty all their work.