Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

GREAT upgrade for those crappy headlights!! (photos w/ in)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by Team Untouchable
Thanks Sam. As you know ive been working on mine and had the whole weekend off. Myself and a buddy decided to make a whole new setup for the front. We had to custom make a front bracket thing. Took the whole saturday and sunday. Im hoping to be able to finish it tomorrow. I can post some pics on here or send some to you. I cant wait.

Also, are these the houseings that new BMW's use. I look at the headlights of beamers and they look like the same housings. Ill try and repost on here tomorrow after we hopefully finish.
It'd be nice to see how it looks. I am still looking into ideas for making some covers for my car.

BMW uses a lot of Hella projectors, just like Audi. But they also use Valeo a lot. It depends on the model. But the ones they use are not the same as the Hella 90mm units. From what I have read, the Hella 90mm unit is built much sturdier with a solid magnesium reflector, where the OEM's use a more fragile thin construction. For their application it doesn't matter, because the optics will be put into a bigger housing that will protect them from the elements.

Sam
Old 07-28-2003, 08:06 PM

Ehhhh, screw them Hella 90mm's, find a pair of OEM HID projectors like I did:-) The hellas are really nice lights, but they are a little on the big side for the 93-97 Camaro. The projectors I used are off an Audi A3 (from Europe) and Hella ballasts and Philips 85122 D2S HID capsules. Was not an easy project but turned out so good and I couldnt be happier. HID is the only way to go. Check out my install:
http://community.webshots.com/album/73572838dAxOcQ

Last edited by JTS95TA; 07-28-2003 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:04 PM

JTS95TA, I looked at your pictures and I think you did a GREAT job, that looks really good!

However, I don't think this is something for everyone. You obviously have a good workshop with the required tools and some experience with epoxy and sheetmetal, but not everyone has that. For those that do not have all that, the Hella 90mm's are a LOT easier to work with as they are ready to mount weatherproof units.

JMHO,
Sam
Old 07-30-2003, 01:38 PM

Thanks for the compliments! Yes this was a very tedious job and infact, I dont think I would want to do it again if I had to:-)
The Hella 90mm units are very good lights and I have heard that the new H9 bulb puts out incredible amounts of light considering its halogen. One advantage with my method is that you only see the outter lens itself so its not as big and takes up much less space, atleast the part that you see. The actual reflector is large and required a lot of modification to fit back there. Whereas the 90mm unit front piece is required for weatherproofing and is rather large. Either way both are an incredible improvement over stock, infact I rather drive at night now just so I can use my HID's :-)
Old 07-30-2003, 02:11 PM

Yes JTS, that is a fantastic job. But as Sam, everyone on here cant exactly do all the custon stuff you needed to do. I felt that Sam's job was a bit easier. If I can ask how much was your whole kit from the audi? From the looks of your pic if you had posted this B4 I bought the Hella's I probably coulda done what you did. Plus nothing can beat the look of HID, but I am sure from what Sam has said, Ill be happy with my new Hella's.
What mm are your audi lights? Looks like they may be 50 or so?
Old 07-30-2003, 08:33 PM

I paid $150 for the actual projectors. Those were from an Audi A3 (not sold in US), although I didnt actually purchase them from Audi. There is a guy on ebay that deals with all sorts of automotive headlamps. I was able to meet up with him since he was local to me in Chicago and choose the projector which best fit my needs. I chose the A3 because it had the smallest diameter lens to fit the front headlamp arear of the Camaro. I dont know the exact size but 50mm sounds about right. I then purchased the Hella ballasts and Philips D2S bulbs from a different guy on ebay. The bulbs and ballast were brand new and came with the Audi bracketry (which I did not use). I paid $365 shipped. So total cost of parts was about $415. Add another $40 approx for other parts such as hardware, tools, and other materials. The biggy here was the actual labor, as previously mentioned it wasnt a easy job and took a couple weeks to complete. Results were more than I expected. So for under $500 you can have a similar setup. Just takes some patience and time. Not cheap for a set of headlights, but its something im really into and I like tough projects like this.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:46 PM

Finally pics of mine almost done. I need to do the highs this week but this is the custom plate we had to make.
http://www.ls1camaro.net/freehosting/hella1.JPG
http://www.ls1camaro.net/freehosting/hella2.JPG
http://www.ls1camaro.net/freehosting/hella3.JPG
Now any better tips on aiming them? They seem to be aimed WAY too high. I try screwing the screws and the screws seem to pop out.
One more pic, this is what we had to do to get to the lites.
http://www.ls1camaro.net/freehosting/nobumper.JPG
Cant wait to take the bumper off again to do the highs.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:07 PM

I have some pretty good info linked on my install page, it's a page from Daniel Stern Lighting. You then need some interpretation on what the reference points are in the Hella projector beam pattern. If you follow that procedure precisely you will have very good lighting. The aiming is bit touchy due to the sharp cutoff, but once you get it right it's the best lighting you can get.

BTW, I can't help but notice that your custom plate looks a bit flimsy or are you still going to add some more attachment points?

If the screw pops out when you try to adjust, then the holes for the cups are a little too big or the light hits something so that the screw forces the cup out of the hole. Check for the light hitting something. If the cup is too loose, try glueing the cups in, since you can't make the hole smaller

Let me know if I can help!

Sam
Old 08-08-2003, 01:26 PM

Team Untouchable, I just PMed you before I saw your pics in this thread. The single screw adj. at the top of the light will move the beam up and down but Sam95ZNoTop is right about checking to see if its hitting something and maybe putting a little epoxy on the adj. nuts to hold them in the holes. Good luck!

Sam95ZNoTop, I haven't forgotten to e-mail that pic, I've just been buried in O. T. at work and haven't got the scanner figured out yet.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:29 PM

To throw this back to the front. The plate we made was made outta 18 or 20 gauge steel. Plus its bolted down with the 4 stock bolts. My question to you guys is, yes it does put a lot more light on the road(aka better beam pattern so I can acutally see the sides a bit and in front a bit more), but it dosent seem to be as bright.
Also Sam, when you put in the highs, they recommended to ugrade your wires to be able to handle the lights, DId you do that? I should be putting in the highs next week. Started school 2 weeks ago and have had no time. Thanks for the help
D
Old 09-08-2003, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by Team Untouchable
To throw this back to the front. The plate we made was made outta 18 or 20 gauge steel. Plus its bolted down with the 4 stock bolts. My question to you guys is, yes it does put a lot more light on the road(aka better beam pattern so I can acutally see the sides a bit and in front a bit more), but it dosent seem to be as bright.
Also Sam, when you put in the highs, they recommended to ugrade your wires to be able to handle the lights, DId you do that? I should be putting in the highs next week. Started school 2 weeks ago and have had no time. Thanks for the help
D
Try putting your stock lights back on and see what the difference is! I cleraly noticed the difference, but I drive my car every day and did the swap in a weekend, so I had the comparison clearly in my head.

I did not upgrade the wires, the Hella's are both 65W, that's what the stock highs are, so I don't see the necessity of upgrading the wires.

HTH

Sam
Old 10-07-2003, 08:58 PM

I put up a new pic on the install page that shows a little truer to life how the lights look on the car under normal lighting conditions (no flash that is).

Sam
Old 10-07-2003, 09:31 PM

is installing the H9s legal? i was gonna keep my high beams and install these H9s for my low beams....anyone know if they are legal in ohio
Old 10-08-2003, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by ThotYouKnew
is installing the H9s legal? i was gonna keep my high beams and install these H9s for my low beams....anyone know if they are legal in ohio
According to some people, the minute you change stock stuff with aftermarket stuff, it is illegal. To the letter of the law, this may be so, but in practice aftermarket parts conforming to the law applicable to those parts should be legal when you mount them on your car.
In the case of the headlights: The Hella 90mm units are DOT approved lights for custom applications. This means that they are conform to all the applicable laws that apply to that type of headlight (high or low beam pattern, maximum glare, etc...) Imho, when you mount such a light on your car, and make provisions for accurate and correct aiming, that should be legal. This is as opposed to mounting driving lights (PIAA, Hella FF75's for example) in place of your (low-beam) headlights that have a completely different beam pattern. In fact, I have never ever been "flashed" by someone or been pulled over because of the Hella 90mm lights, and it is easy to see that my lighting isn't stock!!
Bottomline: Even if, by the exact letter of the law, this isn't legal, this is as close as you're gonna get to legal with aftermarket headlights. And if people can get away with using driving lights for low-beams, then the Hella 90mm should be no problem. I have never had any trouble over these lights whatsoever.

HTH

Sam
Old 01-22-2004, 12:42 PM

Quick update:

I have added info on the high beam mounting and aiming to the install page linked in my sig.

Sam

Quick Reply: GREAT upgrade for those crappy headlights!! (photos w/ in)