Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Fiberglass headliner and also fiberglass rear enclosure---sorry bout the delay!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 02:08 AM

Fiberglass headliner and also fiberglass rear enclosure---sorry bout the delay!!

I've been gone for a while due to some really hard times but...... I've been keeping busy through all of it. I started on a new project, the plan is to have 4-12's and a custom console with either a flush mounted fire extinguisher or a backlit plexiglass console (have'nt decided). I started yesterday and alreay have my first coat of resin on. Another coat and I'll be ready to pop it out and trim it, before I add more coats to the inside. This is my first "large" piece and it will all be removable in three separate pieces (2 boxes and 1 console). It's a current project so I'll be updating this thread everyday until it's done.

Yes the Headliner is done, I just did'nt have time to post them up. Pics are up now so give me feedback on that too. I decided against TV's in the visor locations because I dont want to give the Z a "doped-out" look, rather a clean look, which I have lol!

Anybody have any ideas, write them here and I might use them if I can.

(click linky-linky and scroll down)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/239349/8
Old 11-01-2004, 10:48 AM

Re: Fiberglass headliner and also fiberglass rear enclosure---sorry bout the delay!!

Cmon

people are looking but no responses? When I posted this before you guys could'nt wait to see the final headliner. Give me some feedback lol!
Old 11-01-2004, 11:49 AM

Re: Fiberglass headliner and also fiberglass rear enclosure---sorry bout the delay!!

Hey I looked for fun and you did a great job on the headliner. It took some talent to do that. Great work.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:56 PM

Thats cool
Old 11-02-2004, 08:35 AM

Looks cool man! Should last a lot longer than the stock cardboard stuff too!
Old 11-02-2004, 09:31 AM

Whew!!!

thanks for the compliments guys, I was gettin worried lol! It's actually easier than you might think, but it does take patience and attention to detail. Fiberglass is a better alternative to MDF or anything else FTM, if yall want a detailed DIY guide I can write one up for you (materials, cure time, etc..). Best thing is I never have to replace a headliner ever again in life!!! and it leaves room for a whole new world of options (TV's , gauges, custom designs under the vinyl or str8 up paint it to match your car).

The rear seat enclosure will be done next week, I did'nt calculate how much resin I was going to need and it's over 3-4 gallons which aint gonna be cheap. But it's worth it.

Chris and Jay!!! ya know I want your opinions on this being that it might be a sale item soon. the box and the headliner might be sold in a set (cool huh?)
Old 11-02-2004, 12:47 PM

you got skills man, I love how the bowtie thing looks. ever consider making some and selling em
Old 11-02-2004, 06:07 PM

Sweet lookin good bro, how much would you charge to do a 93 HardTop Headliner, and I'd paint it...
Old 11-03-2004, 12:09 PM

dabez1: Yea bowtie's are my biggest order right now. I just re-covered a Caprise dashboard in gray vinyl with a small embossed bowtie in the center. Needless to say now his co-workers want em lol!! But which bowtie were you refering to? The amp rack or the mirrored one? I made the mirrored one in a few hours and it was'nt too complicated, cutting the vinyl took the longest time because of the centering the mirror.

transam: Let me get my 2000 camaro back outta the shop and I'll make you one no problem. I'm fighting with my dealership, cause they sold me my car with frame damage and now they dont want to own up to it. I got a good case and attorney so I shopuld be geting it back real soon. It's been gone for six months!!!! I hate having to keep going out there looking at my car with no front end parts on it, and then have them tell me some bull... every week. The General manager at Bill Heard (Adam Berger) is contesting what 3 progressive adjusters and an entire Body shop staff is saying. basically he does'nt want to admit he F-ed up. Anyways I'll make you one cause the headliners are the same for 93-02 cam's. I'm actuallt going to do the same thing when it comes outta the shop so I'll just make two when I do mine. Dont worry about the price, I'll prolly just tell you to pay for materials and shipping (I'm just cool like that).

*** I've been geting all kinda custom orders this week, ranging from Caprises to cutlass's to imports. I might start selling the rear seat box too. For anyone that wants a lighter box thats molded, plus the console I'm making will be a sale item too becasue it'll work regardless if you buy the boxes or not. The first prototype rear console will have an intergrated Tv right in front of the rear ashtray for rear pass. (like anyone can fit back there lol!!). When I find the right resin for CF I'll be wrapping the headliners and box in any color CF (carbon fiber) that the customer wants.

****** Gotta go, I'm about to cut my speaker rings out and place the dowels in.

IMPORTANTE'--- Fiberglass resin is very potent to the lungs (and will get you high as a kite) so if yall try this at home, pleeeezz use proper protection. I was workin on the Z until 3am last night, I was so "amped up" i did'nt realize the time. I guess now I know what meth feels like LOL!!!
Old 11-03-2004, 12:12 PM

Sweet bro shoot me an IM on AIM @ MxRacer476 I'm online now, and will talk with ya...
Old 12-04-2004, 01:20 AM

Small update, the boxes are done and console is painted. The full set of pics will be up tommorow, here's a sneek peek. Not bad for my first attempt huh? They'll be sanded more and painted by Sun.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...9_293_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...9_294_full.jpg
Old 12-04-2004, 01:22 AM

bump....
Old 12-04-2004, 01:24 AM

So this means my headliner's a go?
Old 12-04-2004, 01:40 AM

"And you know this maaaaaaaaannnnnn!!!!!"

So I take it, it looks OK? wait until tommorow
Old 12-04-2004, 01:42 AM

Yea looks good....hey do you have yahoo, or AIM? I need to chat with you someway other, than posting lol

Quick Reply: Fiberglass headliner and also fiberglass rear enclosure---sorry bout the delay!!