Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Factory 30th anniv stripes cracking / peeling...options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 02:25 PM

Factory 30th anniv stripes cracking / peeling...options?

I have a factory white/orange striped SS. the paint is perfect but the stripes are starting to die. It first happened to the spoiler, , like the very top part of the stripes(clear) started bubling and cracking away.
I ordered new spoiler stripes from SLP, but it took me about 18 hours or work to remove them and about a quart of goo-gone ($$$)

Well now the hood is doing it. just one side for now, but i dont think its possible to remove them with out destoying the paint.

I definately want to keep the 30th anniversary look.
I guess my options are $150 worth of new stripes from SLP, and weeks of laybor, or new paint on hood and roof.

I can paint ok ( did my blazer in sig) but never done stripes? where could i get them done? how much? could they do it over the current paint or would it be best to repaint the white?

Lastly, what have you other 30th owners done?

(BTW I wax my car about 3 times a month and its inside about 1/2 the time... sucks)
Old 03-02-2005, 04:31 PM

Re: Factory 30th anniv stripes cracking / peeling...options?

I've replaced a few of the stripes on my 30th Z too. It won't make you feel better, but my new hood stripes started cracking around the inserts within 90 days of installation

Anyway, I re-striped because my hood got a small dent and had to be repainted after the bodywork. First time I went to the bodyshop to pick it up, they installed the hood stripes parallel, and cut a 1/4 inch reveal around the inserts to "hide" it. Stupid looking and wrong.

The second time I tried to pick it up, both stripes had several creases. They try to pull these, and scratched through the clearcoat. And then said the stripes were beyond their ability (WTF?)

At this point, it had been in bodyshop hell for nearly 2 months becasue of a little dent in the hood. Not proud of it, but I flipped the F**k out. Customers emptied that building within seconds. Actually drove home with a check for more than my insurance company paid them. OK, maybe a little proud of it.

Once home, I filled the scratches with some clear dupli-color (brush and bottle). 3 or 4 heavy coats with several days between. Then sanded with 1000 grit til it was flush. The repair is invisible under the stripe. So if you scratch it removing them, you don't have to repaint the whole hood, as long as it's under the stripe.

Another tip, the stripes are not parallel. The roof stripes are further apart than the nose stripes by about 2 inches. My shop tried parallel the first time, that's why the holes didn't line up with the inserts. You need to measure the roof stripes for the stripe seperation at the top of the hood.

Also- we tried to peel and install half the stripe first, and discovered that the backing paper on the other half falls apart if you get it wet. Then we spent an hour picking wet paper off the adhesive. Whatever you do, do not get the backing wet. It's a miracle mine looks great. Hood stripe is a 2 person job. A 3rd would be handy for initial placement.

I'd try some actual 3M adhesive remover instead of goo gone. And I'd try a heat gun too. Good luck!
Old 03-02-2005, 04:41 PM

the only way to completely fix this so it doesn't happen ever again is to have a stencil made and have them sprayed on. Everyone I know with a 30th anniv car has had this problem at some point.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:52 PM

I have the 30th ss as well and I replaced my stripes. I heated my stripes with a heat gun and used a old credit card to peel the stripes off. And the TAR/glue under the stripes OMGGG what a PITA UNTILL I used PVC pipe cleaner with the yellow label after a few swipes of that stuff the tar came off like butter with no heat. The cleaner didnt hurt my paint at all and its now 1 yr later still lookin perfect . with the pipe cleaner it took me about 4 hours to remove all of the stripes off the car.

I feel your pain
Old 03-02-2005, 10:33 PM

So are you telling me all SS stripes are just vinyl ****s? That's high quality lol. That's why when I get my car painted the stripes are getting painted into it.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:35 PM

Do you think it's possible to paint the car, then put the stripes on then clear coat over the paint/vinyl at the same time and kinda coat it in so it never fades or cracks. Kinda like lamination.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:35 AM

Im bringing this back up from the dead to warn people about phoenixgraphics.com

I couldn't find a complete set of SLP stripes, seems they are all gone... so i called phoenix graphics about their 30th anniversary SS stripe kit. I told him how close are these stripes to OEM?
PG said "identical"
I said really, so if i had a brand new SLP stripes i installed on the driver side and a phoenix graphics stripe kit put on the passenger side... could you tell the difference?
"No, they are made from the same vinyl, the same CAD as the SLP ones, they will be identical"
Great i'll take a set!

Well, i peelledoff the passenger side stripes and started installing the PG ones...
I noticed the rear deck lid stripes and spoiler stripes were about 7/8'' wider each then the SLP ones. So then i got out the roof stripes to compare them and they are 3'' wider at the windshield and 2.5'' wider at the rear!

What the heck? The color is way off too... its more of a traditional orange and the SLPs are a much darker shade of orange. And be advised, this is comparing them to some nearly new SLP stripes, not old faded ones.
I called phoenix graphics and "chris" is looking into. i let you get now if anything changes/gets fixed.

So if you looking for and OEM like replacement for the 30th anniv stripes, dont get the phoenix graphics ones.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by camarossguy2
(BTW I wax my car about 3 times a month and its inside about 1/2 the time... sucks)
Good lord I hope you meant 3 times a year, because waxing 3 times a month is unbelievably excessive!
Old 02-28-2009, 08:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shock6906
Good lord I hope you meant 3 times a year, because waxing 3 times a month is unbelievably excessive!
ttt. I've gotta know.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by shock6906
ttt. I've gotta know.

Back in 2005, i lived in florida, and it rained everyday in the summer and eveything was covered in salt mist. I'd wash the car 6-10 a month sometimes in the summer, and after 2-3 wased, it was clear that the previous wax was washing off and the water was no beeding. it was also claybarred semi regularly to remove the bugs, and pollen etc....

So yes every 2-4 washed id was at least the sun facing surfaces. and some times that might be up to 3 times a month... not always.

Now i live in new mexico and it never rains, car is always in the garage... i just have to dust it off. i think i've washedand waxed it twice in the last 2 years... its just stays detailed all the time here. its great
ken
Old 04-06-2009, 12:10 AM

Anyone know, know where to find, or have any info on the layout and sizes and of the SS Stripes? Or am I best off to "trace" or somehow "copy" the layout?

Im having my car repainted, due to the obvious ****ty decals, and i want to make sure the paint guy does it right. I have trust issues when it comes to people working on my car. lol.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Onebad97Z28
Anyone know, know where to find, or have any info on the layout and sizes and of the SS Stripes? Or am I best off to "trace" or somehow "copy" the layout?

Im having my car repainted, due to the obvious ****ty decals, and i want to make sure the paint guy does it right. I have trust issues when it comes to people working on my car. lol.

several of the companies that make aftermarket stripe kits for the 30th also sell templates for painting, but every single one i've found that claims to be "identical" is not, that so far all have the 16'' wide stripes on the roof, not the 13.5'' that OEM.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:40 AM

Anyone heard or dealt with F-Body Decals Online? This is their website... http://www.3rdgendecals.com/index.htm

They seem to know what they are doing.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Onebad97Z28
Anyone heard or dealt with F-Body Decals Online? This is their website... http://www.3rdgendecals.com/index.htm

They seem to know what they are doing.
I asked him to make a revision to his 35th SS stripes he has for the 93-97 hood. He refused saying he didn't have the time. Took 3 emails over several weeks to hear back from him too. He started that website years ago and does not appear to be that into it anymore. He still prints what he has on his website out though. He appears to still be the best source for 4th gen stripes to my knowledge. I would get some before he quits doing it all together. After reseaching his printing machine I found it to be discontinued. It may not be long before he has trouble getting parts or supplies for it.

Last edited by PoorMan; 04-07-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:00 AM

I had this 97 with stripes. Mine started peeling within the first 2 years of having it.
I asked dealer if they could paint them on under warranty. And they did!!!! They
were just awesome after that. I know this is not a warranty issue for you, but painting them on is the ONLY solution for longevity.

PS - I wish I still had this car. Don't sell it!!!!!!!