Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Ebay Taillight Install Description

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 12:03 PM

Ebay Taillight Install Description

I thought I would share my experiences buying two sets of Camaro aftermarket taillights off ebay. The first pair were Adjura Crystal Eyes and appeared in the photos to be black background around the light elements. It was listed as carbon fiber background. Well, they were quite a bit lighter because the fake carbon fiber look has a lot of white thread effect. I did install them on my 01 Z-28 and they were a excellent fit. Problem is, I want to create a all black effect with this onyx black car. So, I buy another pair off ebay from a company the sells by the name of Symmic. They offer two black background taillights - one black plastic and the second carbon fiber. They typically sell them for $85 and get you for $25 shipping cost. I love the look of these taillights but they would not even fit in the body recess. I needed to remove two gobs of semi soft sealer applied to the top and bottom of the inner light housing to just get them in the cavity. Next, the light sockets were not clocked correctly for the plugs on my car. I just could not come up with a way to get them to stay in position. I ended up loading each lens with tissue to collect cuttings and used a dremel tool to grind back the socket openings. I then bought some scrap plastic at a local supplier, traced the original socket pattern off the original taillights, and then cut them out of the new material. I used epoxy and drilled a series of small holes through the new socket covers into the body of the taillight. I inserted epoxy covered wire to better adhere the new socket openings.
They do look good, but this is far to much to go through IMO. I did complain and they acted like I must be crazy saying they didn't fit. I was offered a refund if they were returned safely, but I decided I would make them work. YMMV.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:32 PM

Re: Ebay Taillight Install Description

Good write up. Do you happen to have pictures of your car with the two different types of tail lights? If so, can you post them here please.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:29 PM

Ya, and what are you doing with the other set??
Old 06-19-2005, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Wonderful. I have those same exact ones sitting on the table waiting for me to put them in. I thought it would be a fairly painless install... guess not