Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Dot Matrix tint on rear hatch...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 04:16 PM

Dot Matrix tint on rear hatch...

Do all 1993-2002 camaros and firebirds have that stupid dot matrix tint across the top? My tint guy has a heck of a time getting the tinting film to stick over those stupid dots. Does anybody have a rear glass with defroster but without that dot matrix tint? Or, where can I get a solid piece of clear replacement glass? I might be willing to trade. Thanks! Ciao!
Old 08-26-2006, 05:05 PM

Re: Dot Matrix tint on rear hatch...

I don't have any tint on my 94 Z factory or aftermarket... That tint is probably aftermarket.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:12 PM

It's not aftermarket, it comes from the factory like this. The dots are baked into the glass and can't be removed. Are you sure you don't have these dots across the top? You have to be close to see them.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:27 PM

all 93-02 f-bodys have the dot matrix, the best way is not to tint over i, just get a black peice of vinyl and place it on the outside of the window over the dotmatrix, then you dont notice it and it blends in with the tint
Old 08-26-2006, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by 94_PatriotRed_Z
just get a black peice of vinyl and place it on the outside of the window over the dotmatrix, then you dont notice it and it blends in with the tint
Yep!

Works like a champ.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:38 PM

Damn.. I didn't know what you where talking about at first... yep I got it on mine srry.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:04 PM

I figured I would have to go with a vinyl sticker. That just seems so shotty. Isn't that what you did as a kid whenever something was messed up??....Just put a sticker over it. Argh! Did any F-bodies come with factory tint??
Old 08-26-2006, 09:06 PM

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451535
Old 08-26-2006, 10:47 PM

Sounds like to me you just need to find a new tint guy who knows how to do it right.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:09 AM

So I had my back window tinted. The tint is not sticking to the upper glass where the dot-matrix stuff is. It looks bad. To make matters worst, there are numerous tiny bubbles where the tint film goes over tiny specks/grains of something. The tint guy warned me about those specks. He said he was unable to remove them. He used chemicals, window wool, razor, and everything else he could to remove the specs/grains without scratching the window. He said it was like they were welded into the glass. Most of these specks are centered around the middle of the upper half of the window. I was wondering if T-tops have anything to do with this? Stone chips on the inside?? The tint shop is very reputable. It's the kind of place where people take their Corvettes, Escalades, and European Sports Cars. It's expensive. The guy worked all day just trying to remove that crud but couldn't. This guy tinted my other two cars and they are perfect. What's up with this? Anybody experience the same???
Old 08-27-2006, 12:12 PM

Mine appears to have each little tiny dot cut perfectly out (not by hand either), and the tint only extends to the blackout area. I'm sorry that I can't tell you more about it, but my tint was done 10 years ago while we lived in Hobbs, New Mexico (very small town) and the guys did an amazing job. Here are some pics (sorry but the car is dirty):

I hope you can figure out how to get it done right! You might even try calling the company that did our's that 10 years ago. The area code is 505.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:59 PM

My tint guy did the vinyl top sticker on the INSIDE of the rear window. It came out awesome. No dots inside or outside and no worries about the vinyl sticker coming off when using an ice scraper.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:00 PM

Can you still see the dots with the vinyl sticker on the inside? I would think you would have the same problem that you have with the tint, since they are both basically plastic over the dots.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by shriekingtires
Can you still see the dots with the vinyl sticker on the inside? I would think you would have the same problem that you have with the tint, since they are both basically plastic over the dots.
No, the dots virtually disappear because the vinyl molds much much better around them. You can curve the vinyl, you can't curve the tint without creasing it or getting bubbles. It really comes out very nice. I will snap some daytime shots for you tomorrow.