Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.
View Poll Results: What color should i use for my guages?
red
33.33%
blue
66.67%
green
0%
leave them white
0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

doing a cluster bulb swap, need help making sure i've got all the right stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 10:17 PM

doing a cluster bulb swap, need help making sure i've got all the right stuff...

ok, i found a lot of good info on this swap in led bulbs. i just want to make sure i order the right stuff. whil i'm at it, take my poll to help me choose a color. thanks

guage cluter bulbs (93-97 style)= 7 single led wedge base bulbs

HVAC lights= which bulbs for sure? i can't find the 74 or whatever on the website. anybody help? thanks
Old 02-01-2006, 10:31 PM

Re: doing a cluster bulb swap, need help making sure i've got all the right stuff...

i got my leds from www.superbrightleds.com. They have the #74 bulbs.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:05 PM

Re: doing a cluster bulb swap, need help making sure i've got all the right stuff...

Just know ahead of time that the 194 isn't a direct "plug-in" replacement. You have to break the bulb out of the socket, I used rubber dishwashing gloves to just grip the bulb and grip the socket and rip it out. Then just solder the leads and you're gold. I just did the conversion today, really easy to do. I posted a picture of my gauge cluster's back with the bulbs I changed circled.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by meissenation
Just know ahead of time that the 194 isn't a direct "plug-in" replacement. You have to break the bulb out of the socket, I used rubber dishwashing gloves to just grip the bulb and grip the socket and rip it out. Then just solder the leads and you're gold. I just did the conversion today, really easy to do. I posted a picture of my gauge cluster's back with the bulbs I changed circled.
or you can go to the autoparts store and buy sockets that the 194's will plug right into.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:39 AM

o, i was under the impression that they were direct plug ins. So, how do i get the new autozone socket to fit into the printed circuit?
Old 02-02-2006, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
or you can go to the autoparts store and buy sockets that the 194's will plug right into.
So that's the trick I didn't know about. I always was surprised at how everyone said to use 194 bulbs but yet you have to break the socket from the glass bulb and then solder the 194 in haha. It was easy enough, just was surprised.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:48 AM

yes what am i looking for at the autoparts store?
Old 02-02-2006, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by meissenation
So that's the trick I didn't know about. I always was surprised at how everyone said to use 194 bulbs but yet you have to break the socket from the glass bulb and then solder the 194 in haha. It was easy enough, just was surprised.
Yeah the only reason i know is because my 69 stang had them originally. So i was sure i could get some somewhere.
Blackztpi-the new socket will look just like the old one but it will have connectors in it for the 194 bulb. It just twists into place and locks, just like the old ones. I got mine at autozone. They are in the electronics section, and i believe they had 2 sizes, you want the smaller one.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
Yeah the only reason i know is because my 69 stang had them originally. So i was sure i could get some somewhere.
Blackztpi-the new socket will look just like the old one but it will have connectors in it for the 194 bulb. It just twists into place and locks, just like the old ones. I got mine at autozone. They are in the electronics section, and i believe they had 2 sizes, you want the smaller one.
great info, thanks for the help!
Old 02-02-2006, 05:03 PM

ive been thinkin about changin mine to red for awhile now.. but this blue film, is there a way to remove it? and as far as the bulbs is there any place that i cna just go out and buy em at or do i have to order them online??
Old 02-02-2006, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by RacingTiger04
ive been thinkin about changin mine to red for awhile now.. but this blue film, is there a way to remove it? and as far as the bulbs is there any place that i cna just go out and buy em at or do i have to order them online??
You can buy some LED's at autozone but they have a few selections and the bulbs are like $10 for 2 of them, and you can buy them on line for about $1-1.50 a piece
Old 02-03-2006, 08:04 AM

i got 7 bulbs @ .86 cents each online. cant beat that
Old 02-03-2006, 06:16 PM

ok, definately not gona do it unless i roder the bulbs online lol. but what about the film on the back of the gauges? is it easy to remove or possible?? ild like to change over to red, but dont want a purplish tint because of the blue film =/
Old 02-05-2006, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by RacingTiger04
ok, definately not gona do it unless i roder the bulbs online lol. but what about the film on the back of the gauges? is it easy to remove or possible?? ild like to change over to red, but dont want a purplish tint because of the blue film =/
ok - film is nothing to worry about.. if it transfers the white light now - it will transfer any other colour..
the bulbs are the best place to get is online
http://autolumination.com/leds.html
http://superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm
and so as another 1000 places..
about the sockets - i went to the junk yard, found the first cavaler with some frontal damage, ripped the dash appart and took 7 brand new sockets which are just a push in type. but i guess you can get it in the store too ..
To replace the bulbs you'll have to pretty much take the whole top/front dash appart and if it's a t-top the pillers as well (don't really know about the hard top)..

OH YEA -MAKE SURE TO TEST THE BULBS BEFORE PUTTING THE DASH BACK TOGETHER

About the colour - what colour is your car/accent/stereo(if aftermarket)??