Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

DIY Painting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 07:55 PM

DIY Painting?

Body work is so expensive nowadays and I was wondering how hard it is to paint body pieces if you have a spraygun and an air tank/compresser. Does anybody have some material that I can read on this? Should I just suck it up and cough up the money? I figure since all of these non high school graduates are making craploads of money on it then maybe I can figure it out...

Any advice?
Old 01-18-2004, 09:05 PM

yeah advice is a few things. you would stupid to try and paint a car with no experience. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to do it just practice. also do a SEARCH i know ive posted about how to do this before. you would be better off to spray single parts at a time until u learn how it all works also. if you want it done right the first time without hassle pay someone. i dont know what color you would spary but certain colors are harder to do.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:37 PM

I graduated Magna *** Laude from college a couple years ago and I paint cars for a living so not all guys that spread bondo and paint cars are dropouts. But to answer your question, you can buy a compressor and a cheap gun and paint some stuff in your garage. I'd say you can paint small pieces like mirrors, spoilers, a bumper maybe in your garage at home but don't try and spray a whole car. For more info on basic painting tips, try Kustom Painting Secrets by John Kosmoski, it has everything from basic body work to painting candy colors. Of course, practice is requirecd, I've been painting on and off since high school and I'll still mess up every once in a while.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:21 AM

I'm not talkin about painting a whole car, just various things... maybe a hood being the biggest project. Sorry about the dropout comment, I know that there are many educated people that do it but the guy that painted my gfx didnt seem to be college grad material... but he still did a good job. My dad has a compressor and a campbell hausfeld (sp) gun. I just wanted to paint my stock color on some things. I was just saying that its rediculous that I had to pay $500 to get some paint sprayed on some small pieces of polyurethane...

sorry about not searching before I posted... I was in a hurry and I wanted a few things to read about tonight.

Does anyone have an online guide for this stuff? is Kustom Painting Secrets a book or an article online?

Thanks for the help guys and sorry if I offended anyone
Old 01-19-2004, 07:38 AM

http://hotrodders.com/kb/body-exterior/articles.html

Here's a link to a site that has a few write-up on body work stuff.