Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Custom Panel/Body Molding ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 06:27 PM

Custom Panel/Body Molding ???

I've been pondering this idea in my head for so long now...and have considered it as a small summer project.

Several threads have come up in the past about designing a custom body kit, but very few have ever created such a thing.

So far what I know is that you buy a mold (of what and where I do not know) for about a 100 bucks and take it to someone who will make the "real mold" and produce the product for you. This is atleast the process I THINK Whistler and others have gone through with their designs.

I would email him or Paul, but I know they are busy so I figured I'd just post this here. Any links to references, books, or anything that would help my search would be greatly appreciated. So far I'm coming up completely dry with just dreams and no where to start.

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Old 05-22-2003, 07:18 PM

I think it is alot more work then your thinking! Whistler worked on that project for months and that guy has some serious talent! I don't know how much you know about that kind of stuff but I know that it is alot of work
Old 05-22-2003, 09:00 PM

Post pictures or describe in detail what you want to do, and I can tell you how to do it. I can tell you right now, it is going to take TIME and MONEY, probably alot of both. And the more money you want to save, the more time it will take.

If you want concept photos, describe what you want, and I can photoshop something to start with...

Here are a few concepts as examples:

http://puren12g.com/widebody.htm
Old 05-22-2003, 10:06 PM

Paul- You are talented and creative. Keep it up!
Old 05-22-2003, 10:39 PM

this one looks really nice
Old 05-27-2003, 08:51 PM

*Sorry for not replying earlier...I was out of town for a few days*

Thanks for the responses. I'm more interested in where you get a mold and what's all involved into making it.

I knew that this was time consuming, but I don't know about how much Money will be involved. I was planning on taking off some time this summer from work before school again and was going to try to craft something like this because it has been something I have been thinking about for some time.

As far as what my designs are...I'm still a little unsure. Possibly trying that shaved C5 rear, but more interested in making a one pie sort of kit, instead of just the attachments that are currently out there.

Right now I just have a bunch of stuff drawn and a mountain of ideas in my head. But it seems with all this stuff you are sort of walking into unknown territory.

Let's just say I'm starting with a rear (I'd definitely work one section at a time). What would be involved to that? Where do I get a mold and what is it made out of? And how do I "craft" the design into it. Any info would be helpful. I know a bunch of people have talked about things like this before...but it seems like very few if any have actually pursued it. My interests are more into body work than just all power, and with some "time off" I figured this would be a good project to learn and do something else unique.

Or maybe I'm just crazy for even thinking about all this...haha

Mark
Old 05-27-2003, 08:56 PM

Also- Paul your link was very helpful. My ideas go into a lot of those pictures.

And I have to agree with Whistler...you have a lot of great ideas. Brent is a good guy, but I could see you as the next moderator of this forum if he ever stepped down.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:28 AM

Oh My Go# This is my Dream Car!!!!!!! I would kill for this car w/ a nice blower setup and street racing package!!!!!!!!!
I want my car to look like that!!!!!!...........

http://puren12g.com/pages/sides_jpg.htm
Good work with the photoshop Now only if someone could make a kit to trans form your car to that!!!....
Old 05-28-2003, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by JBETTERTON01
Oh My Go# This is my Dream Car!!!!!!! I would kill for this car w/ a nice blower setup and street racing package!!!!!!!!!
I want my car to look like that!!!!!!...........

http://puren12g.com/pages/sides_jpg.htm
Good work with the photoshop Now only if someone could make a kit to trans form your car to that!!!....
If I had a LS1, it would already be in progress, but my 95 Z isn't as rounded, so the design just wouldn't flow as well. That photoshop was one of the favorite ones I did... definately on the wild side, but 100% realistic and possible, thanks to the design/curvature of the stock doors. Notice the custom integrated spoiler design as well, that really adds alot to it I think...