Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Clear Powdercoat

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 01:14 AM

Clear Powdercoat

Has anyone gotten something powdercoated clear before? I went by the local powdercoating place to see how much it would be to powdercoat my LT1 intake manifold that I'm polishing. A guy there told me that they have to bake it for a day to degas it and that it usually changes the color slightly. He said that I could take it back after that to sand it some but that I could not use any polishing compound on it. Well, there's not much point in sanding it some more, since the polishing compound is where all the shine comes from. So I am wondering if anyone has ever gotten something powdercoated clear and if the color change is noticeable enough to worry about.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:37 AM

Re: Clear Powdercoat

sand the intake down to what you want it to be... then have them bake it and coated in CERAMIC coating like the headers use.... if they dont offer that... then find anothe , better PC place like Q.C coatings... i had them do my engine in powdercoat.... everything.. intake to brackets!!!!

i have a polished alt. that they coated in ceramic... looks polished to me and theres no up keep
Old 03-10-2005, 01:12 AM

Do you have any pictures of the ceramic coated parts? The coating on my headers looks nice but nowhere near the shine of polished pieces I've seen.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:38 PM

I checked on clearcoating over almost chrome and from what I gathered its trickey and the chance of yellowing is there. I considered polished but the polisher said it required weekly maintenance and there are so many tiny hard to reach spots on the intake when installed. I chose to ceramic coat the intake, alt bracket and h2o pump. Polished TB and chrome alt. good luck.