Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

chrome rims to black rims

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 09:45 PM

chrome rims to black rims

whats the best way to get the chrome rims on my car black? i was thinking powdercoating them but wasnt sure if there is any better way of going about it, lemme know
Old 09-07-2011, 03:01 AM

Re: chrome rims to black rims

If you're gonna get different wheels anyway you really shouldn't waste the money on getting your current wheels powdercoated maybe unless you know somebody that can get you ridiculous deal on it. I would agree with others in the other thread and just paint em for now. You can use a scuff pad on the chrome to get a good surface to paint on, it will take some time but it'll be cheaper than getting them powdercoated. Maybe look into the plasti-dip or some wheel paint.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:16 AM

Depends on how particular u are. If u do it all yourself, i seriously doubt they will come out looking as good as you would like. I have painted wheels on a couple sets of wheels and did extensive prep work and paint coats, took almost 2 days to complete. Then another 2 days to dry completely prior to putting them on the car. My point is even with all that time and prep they arent as good as i would have liked them to be. They look good but not perfect. Im no professional, mind you, but i researched it extensively and followed the steps to the T.

All that said, if i were u i would just save up a little and get them professionally powdercoated. They will look great, be very durable (vs. chipping of rattle can paint) and u will be able to sell them at a much higher price (due to having reciept of professional coating) than if u do it yourself. I painted mine because i didnt care if they were perfect, as im not tryin to build a show condition car. I just want it to look descent but run like a monster Just my opinion.

Last edited by jonesz28; 09-07-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:36 PM

Plasti-dip them- it will cost you $10 and you'll know if you really like it or not.

But personally I would either sell the ones you have now and get black or look into powdercoat for more permanent solution.

By the time you do all the messing around of taking the tires off, getting them powdercoated, remounting/balancing the tires you will likely be well on the way to the cost of black wheels.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by jonesz28
Depends on how particular u are. If u do it all yourself, i seriously doubt they will come out looking as good as you would like. I have painted wheels on a couple sets of wheels and did extensive prep work and paint coats, took almost 2 days to complete. Then another 2 days to dry completely prior to putting them on the car. My point is even with all that time and prep they arent as good as i would have liked them to be. They look good but not perfect. Im no professional, mind you, but i researched it extensively and followed the steps to the T.

All that said, if i were u i would just save up a little and get them professionally powdercoated. They will look great, be very durable (vs. chipping of rattle can paint) and u will be able to sell them at a much higher price (due to having reciept of professional coating) than if u do it yourself. I painted mine because i didnt care if they were perfect, as im not tryin to build a show condition car. I just want it to look descent but run like a monster Just my opinion.
WOW! next time I need to paint some rims I'll have you do it lol If you prep the wheels pretty good and paint them on a nice day you should be fine. Ive done rims at work on a slow day and have been done by the time I got off but then I'm in Cail and thw weather helps a lot.

Do the rims on your car a favor and paint them ASAP lol just some good old rattle can paint. The rims are not worth powder coating! again nice Red Zee Bro!!!!!!
Old 09-20-2011, 09:19 AM

any update on this?
Old 09-20-2011, 10:06 AM

+1 plasti dip
Old 09-20-2011, 04:11 PM

yep! sold those rims and just bought a set of 98 SS wheels..ill put pics up asap! thanks for the advice by the way guys
Old 09-20-2011, 04:17 PM

got them off my buddys LS1 for only 100 bucks so cant go wrong! also i have an hid kit on order as well as new exhaust tips! planning on doing some VHT nightshade to the taillights within the next few days
Old 09-20-2011, 05:37 PM

niiice
Old 09-23-2011, 10:37 AM

now if you powder coat the SS rims we wont be mad at you lol well worth coating

nice come up on the SS rims. They go for about 350 to 400 in my area so you got a great deal.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:55 AM

rims are on! check em out in my garage
Old 09-25-2011, 11:58 AM

Old 09-25-2011, 12:23 PM

Old 09-28-2011, 10:33 AM

very nice! I think your rear berger pannel would look good black IMO it would flow with the front bumper thats black and the side mirrors as well.

in all the car is clean as is

Quick Reply: chrome rims to black rims