Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Buzzards were eating my car

Old 03-15-2008, 09:57 PM

Buzzards were eating my car

I don't know if this is the right forum for this but here it goes.... A couple weeks ago, I went fishing with my son. I drove the 02 Z28 convertible. After a day of relaxing and productive fishing and looking forward to a top-down cruise home, we returned to my car to find 4 or 5 buzzards sitting on top of the car, tearing the weather stripping away from around the convertible top. No, there was no bait or anything in the car that would attract these vile creatures. In fact the car was flawless before this event. They destroyed the stripping at the rear of the top where it meets the trunk. They also ruined the piece that closes the gap between the top of the windshield and the forwardmost point of the top. To top it off, the rest of the car looked like it was blasted with white paint.

I have looked everywhere for aftermarket replacement parts with no luck of finding anything. I have not been to the dealer yet--kinda using that as a last resort. I know there are a lot of resources on this board. So my question is, Does anyone have a source for these pieces or do you know the GM part number so that I might make the purchase online?
Old 03-15-2008, 10:29 PM

Wow that's a new one.. Do you have any pictures of the damage?
I would just suggest going to the dealer from my experience with the weatherstripping on my hatch. Just know you are ordering the right peice. Anyways, try Hawk's 3rd gen
http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/in...S&Category=153
-Miguel
Old 03-15-2008, 10:59 PM

wow... I woulda been f*ckin piiiiiiiiiiiiiiissed.....

Try ecklers, classic industries, ebay or search through the classifieds here...

Did you find something to at least kill one or more of them???

This http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...11&catalogid=2 may help with part numbers, etc

Last edited by 95camaroinok; 03-15-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:12 PM

I don't have any pics yet. For full effect, I should have took some with all the white crap and the footprints that tracked it everywhere. My first instinct was to wash it off. I use Zaino products but bird droppings, especially in gallon+ quantities could really do some damage. No, I didn't kill any of them, although I have fantasized about doing it---they are protected in Florida. While asking around, I have found that such attacks are not uncommon here. Normally, there is a large amount of roadkill here, and the buzzards are very effective of cleaning it up. When the state makes an effort to clean up any carcasses on the roads, the birds get hungry and will peck and tear anything that resembles flesh in texture. I have even heard of people having to replace the roof on their house because these things have torn off the asphalt shingles. I can only assume that is what happened in my case. Yes, I was pissed.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:19 PM

protected or not, if I coulda killed one I would have, but thats just me and my cars I guess... I woulda done it for you had I been there. Dont run your fingers over my car and I wont run my car over your fingers....

All frustration and kidding aside, glad they didnt tear up any more of it for ya. Good luck on finding your parts and gettin it back like it should be.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:49 AM

That's messed up man!

If it happened to me - I'd be checking with my insurance company to see if I was somehow covered for acts of vandalism by birds.
Seriously........you could be covered for this.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:13 AM

I have kicked around the idea of going through my insurance company, but it will depend on the cost of the replacement rubber. It may not be worth my deductable.

Damn, why does all the weird sh@t happen to me?
Old 03-16-2008, 10:20 AM

Thats what buzzards do, those stupid birds will chew on anything. I would try to settle this with my insurance company, they should be able to cover it.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:21 PM

I had to replace that same weatherstripping. I remember it only being a 20$ item at the dealer.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:44 PM

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/
Old 03-16-2008, 05:09 PM

That is definitely the first time I have heard of something of that nature. Maybe try Jason, a wholesale GM parts suppliers: http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#Dal_and_Jason
Old 03-17-2008, 04:01 PM

Sure you didn't rub entrails on your weather stripping? LOL
Old 03-17-2008, 05:30 PM

Buzzards/Vultures tearing up weather stripping and the rubber on window shield wipers was a problem at a boat landing here in VA several months back. I never heard of it either until it was mentioned on the news.

As far as the weather stripping, I'm looking at my Classic Industries catalog now and only see listing for 93-02 convertible trunk lid seal(seal between the rear glass & trunk lid).
Old 03-18-2008, 09:55 PM

I never knew that buzzards were protected here, and I would've tried to seriously f one of them up at least, at least you didn't have sandhill cranes pecking at your mirrors and side windows.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:51 AM

Get revenge! Buy a 10 GA Shotgun and keep it in your trunk. Every time you see one, let him know how you really feel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buzzards were eating my car