Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Brushed Aluminum interior, yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:53 AM

Brushed Aluminum interior, yay or nay?

The following pic is my feeble attempt at Photoshop. I took a guys 93-97 Camaro interior from here that had a brushed aluminum dash kit and added a brushed aluminum stereo panel and a Commando R Steering wheel. Then I took a guys stock interior and added a black lighted stereo panel. Do you think the brushed aluminum is too much? Ricey? I need honest opinions. I haven’t decided completely on the steering wheel because I am concerned about the air bag. I really don’t want to disable it and I’m not sure if aesthetics are worth my safety. Anyway, give me your best opinion. And thanks in advance!
Old 10-24-2007, 10:29 AM

"Nay".

Too ricey for me.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:30 AM

I don't care for that. It looks out of place.

Plus that shifter will be on hot biotch in the summer.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
I don't care for that. It looks out of place.

Plus that shifter will be on hot biotch in the summer.

What looks out of place? The steering wheel or the aluminum in general? I thought about doing everything but the steering wheel. Its hard to decide.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:37 AM

Well the steering wheel would be okay by itself, even something I might do (those ones you can take off are badass), but the aluminum just looks very out of place. I don't know if there is too much contrast or what, but to my eyes it just looks like crap.

But like I said, it's your car and if you like it go right ahead.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by jeff_is_sexy
Well the steering wheel would be okay by itself, even something I might do (those ones you can take off are badass), but the aluminum just looks very out of place. I don't know if there is too much contrast or what, but to my eyes it just looks like crap.

But like I said, it's your car and if you like it go right ahead.
Well I think it looks alright in the pic, but upclose it will probably be different. I dont want it to look like someone put a tin can on there or something. Wonder if MOMO makes an airbag wheel.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:07 PM

it looks alright with the black interior. i wouldnt put it on any other color.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:23 PM

It's a little ricey in my opinion. If the aluminum was sprayed with a matte or satin finish and had some texture on it, it might be ok.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Brangeta
It's a little ricey in my opinion. If the aluminum was sprayed with a matte or satin finish and had some texture on it, it might be ok.
I was outside looking at it at lunch. Im not sure any dash kit would look good. Looking at it in pics and then actually seeing it in person would make a world of difference. I agree, I think it might look too ricey. I just wanted to spruce up the plain black interior.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:41 PM

leave that for your toaster
Old 10-24-2007, 04:53 PM

Not that I'll probably ever DO IT, but I played around with the idea of doing some custom leather wrapping work if I got a project car with a tan interior. (Yes, yes, I'm a "dreamer" who likes to plan things I never end up doing.) I mocked it up with paint on a model kit...

Maybe it'll give you some ideas. Look at Lamborghini Gallardo and other expensive car interiors for some inspiration too. That's what I did.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:59 PM

it doesn't really look that bad, but I wouldn't do it. The steering wheel is pretty cool though
Old 10-24-2007, 05:15 PM

The steering wheel is OK. To me it just looks like something someone would do just to "be different" without any reguard to how everything works together. Like it is an afterthought.
It is a bit too much also. That Lambo has a few pices w/metal, but the f-bod pic has the whole plate around the vents, instrument cluster, and the big plaque looking part where the HVAC controls are. Plus even the HVAC ***** are metal too. Ya, that just too much IMO.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:33 PM

Oh, I forgot to say...

The reason I suggested luxury/expensive cars is because I like the idea of modifying not for the sake of modifying, but for the sake of improving the look and feel of the interior. I ask myself "what would a girl think of the way this looks and feels?" before I plan anything.

My dad has a '92 Corvette and is doing the brushed aluminum accents soon and I've tried to convince him not to. His Corvette is white with a white leather interior and black plastic. There's no reason to throw tacky aluminum pieces in there.

If you don't like your all black interior (which is understandable), I'd suggest playing with the idea of using colors that don't stand out as much, and stay away from metal replacements. Try another shade of charcoal, or a VERY dark version of the color of your car if your exterior is metallic. I dunno what color your car is, but let's imagine you have a polo green metallic Camaro. If your car's that color, go with black and an even darker green accent color maybe.

If your car is nonmetallic, match the accents with the exterior color, and use a satin finish clearcoat on them.

These are just suggestions. I have interior ideas running through my head constantly
Old 10-24-2007, 05:44 PM

I dont think it looks bad just too much. The Lambo has it scatered, you have it everwhere. I think taking the white backround off the HVAC would look good cuz the ***** would stick out and break up that area a little. I would also take out the silver around the cigeratte lighter. If you do it post a new pic. In my opinon if you did that it would look good and not as tacky you can over do stuff. But good ideas

1997 Camaro SS #1039 M6
Pacesetter Long tubes, TTL exhaust, No Emissions, Under Drive Pulleys, Mad Z28 Tune, 4:10’s, Level II Suspension, BFG KDW’s. best time 13.3 @ 105, 94 F

Quick Reply: Brushed Aluminum interior, yay or nay?