Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Ash Tray Switch Panel

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 11:40 PM

Ash Tray Switch Panel

Just wanted to share this mostly completed project with you guys. One of my goals with the car is to keep everything reversible. This became a huge problem when i needed some switches. In the past, i did it the easy way, by drilling a hole in the center console or wherever, and putting the switch there. I finally decided I'd replace the ash tray with a custom made switch panel that i could take off again if i needed to. Currently, I need 2 switches, but the panel has provisions for the easy addition of 2 more. The ash tray location also gives it a stealth look, since the cover can be closed down on top of it. Best part? The panel itself, excluding switches, wiring, etc. cost me 50 cents. Here are some pictures:

First, showing that the cover can still be closed, and everything looks stock.

Second, cover opened. The pic was taken with my cell phone, and using a 500W shop light for lighting, so its not the best, but the finish on the panel almost perfectly matches the ebony interior plastic.

And last, one of the switches is turned on.

Again, not the best pictures. I really should get a real camera >_<. If somebody wants to make something like this, tell me, and i can make a tutorial, and maybe post a template for the panel. The most time consuming part was cutting the panel, since there was nothing to trace. It all had to be eyeballed.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:47 AM

Re: Ash Tray Switch Panel

looks good...i woudnt mind doing something like that when i get another camaro
Old 07-06-2011, 09:57 AM

Looks good, what'd you hook the switches up to? Ejector seats?
Old 07-06-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Brangeta
Looks good, what'd you hook the switches up to? Ejector seats?
hahaha, i wish. one goes to footwell lights (a friend loved them in my old car, so he paid for them, lol), and the other is for the halos on my new headlights. i know, i know, these arent universally liked, but i think theyre neat
Old 07-06-2011, 01:53 PM

Well, show us some pics of the lights (both!)
Old 07-06-2011, 02:54 PM

Here are the footwell lights:

And one of the headlights. I swear my halos dont glare! lol. For some reason it shows up that way in pictures.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:12 PM

I noticed a small chip in the paint next to one of the switches today, and decided to repaint the panel (it would have to come out to finish the project anyway, so might as well). While i was at it, i decided to also go with my original idea, and leave a Z28 shape unpainted, then have red light under the panel, and have the logo light up. I dont think ive mentioned this before, but the panel itself is 1/8" thick plexiglass. Printed the logo in different sizes until i found the one i wanted, then stuck a piece of masking tape on a piece of printer paper, printed the logo on it, then put the masking tape on the panel, and cut it out, then painted over it. I think it turned out rather well. Yet again, not the best picture, sorry about that.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:24 AM

That's a really clever idea w/ the masking tape. I don't mind the lights, seems cool to me.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:30 PM

thanks! some people might consider the lights a bit ricey, but oh well. the headlights are gonna have to come out soon, because i cant get them aimed properly, so ill need to fix the shield >_<
Old 07-07-2011, 04:22 PM

Nice clean look with the panel...

As far as the headlights, I would consider it more 'rice' to put HID's in a stock housing and blind everyone...Putting in headlights to upgrade your lighting isn't always 'rice', and no matter what you do someone else isn't going to like it. As long as you like it, thats all that counts in my book.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:27 PM

good point. but thats a lot of LEDs, not gonna lie. lol. it was the only decent looking headlights i found that could work with HIDs.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:25 AM

my computer at work wont let me look at the pics. the description sounds pretty cool though, i have 2 remember to check it out once i get home.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:37 PM

still dont have those LEDs i need to get this finished (ive also spent the past two weeks on my damn headlights), but i hopefully will soon, then i can post pics of that
Old 07-19-2011, 07:12 PM

I did something similar. I installed my manual fan switch in the ash tray. The ash tray is still there full of change, but there is a little area between the ash tray and the driver's side of the opening. I got one of the tiny toggle switches from radio shack and installed it in this area. Now if I want it on I can just flip up the ash tray. When I have it off the computer controls the fans normally. I would like to run a LED off of it at some point. I'll probably do that when I close up the cassette storage hole in front of the shifter.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:52 PM

I also have my SLP Fan Switch in the ashtray. It's a very clean install & no one will ever know that it's there! Nice work on all the lights as well!

Quick Reply: Ash Tray Switch Panel