Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

anyone want rear fender flares?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 01:47 AM

anyone want rear fender flares?

Hey, if anyone wants rear fender flares to make room for some big meats or just for the awesome looks, I say we all email the guys at vfnfiberglass.com , they make alot of fiberglass parts like the hoods and bumpers and everything for 4th gen camaros and they would probably crank out some fenders with curvy sides for us if we all email them, so if you are interested, here is the email.
info@vfnfiberglass.com
thanks alot, Alex
Old 01-21-2003, 02:21 AM

In my email to them I just said that they should start making some fiberglass rear fender flares that are flared out to allow us to run 11's out back and have a lowered car at the same time and also for the awesome looks... just thought I would let you guys know. The more emails they get the better chance we have of getting them. Thanks again, Alex
Old 01-21-2003, 12:37 PM

Sweet. Ive always liked the look of fender flares, like what comes stock on M series BMW's. Im assuming they are ones that would have to molded on correct?
Old 01-21-2003, 01:50 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me.I would like to see front and rear flares to give that Trans Am race look to our cars.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Just adding flares won't help you to run bigger meat under there unless you take a sawz-all to your stock fender Or, are you talking about having them make the entire rear quarter panel out of fiberglass for us which will INCLUDE a flare?
Old 01-21-2003, 04:48 PM

I was talking about the entire rear quarter panel out of fiberglass, if you look at thier site, they make entire front ends and other body parts like doors for camaros, so why not a quarter panel, seems like it would be cheaper to get a fiberglass one then do all the molding. Email them if you are interested and describe what you are thinking, Thanks, alex
Old 01-21-2003, 06:02 PM

doubt they make actual replacement fenders from fiberglass.

the fender flare option would be a nice thing to have but I wouldn't expect a whole complete fender replacement since the metal ones help to strenthen the rear of the car. It would be a nice weight-saver but I think the fiberglass just wouldn't be strong enough to handle the stress created when lauching these cars. If you look around at most f-bodys they already have "visible wrinkles" just above the gas door on the drivers side now think it that metal was only fiberglass. crack! and that would become a serious waste of money real fast. They would also have to mold the rockerpanel into it since they are just one piece. Therefore decreasing the strength even more. I wouldn't even want to imagine what the car would look like after you launch with that. But add on fender flares would be cool to have even if you couldn't really beneft anything but looks from them.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:25 PM

Re:doubt they make actual replacement fenders from fiberglass.

I was thinking the same thing. Another thought I had was regarding what brent said. I would think that fitting wider wheels on lowered cars would actually be easier, because now you can push the wheel's lip out farther without making it look goofy. Pardon the rice, but I saw a mag that had an eclipse with flares on it, and the rear wheels were 10" wide, due to the fact that he had more fender to work with. I would think the same would hold true to camaros...
Old 01-21-2003, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

95m6, VFN makes entire the entire body out of fiberglass and currently make the entire front clip out of fiberglass. They should be able to do it but like you said, you might need some added supports or something.

Oh, and 2000redZ, when you said fender flares, this is what I was picturing

http://www.bushwacker.com/fender-flares.asp
Old 01-21-2003, 08:53 PM

Re: doubt they make actual replacement fenders from fiberglass.

Originally posted by 95m6
the fender flare option would be a nice thing to have but I wouldn't expect a whole complete fender replacement since the metal ones help to strenthen the rear of the car. It would be a nice weight-saver but I think the fiberglass just wouldn't be strong enough to handle the stress created when lauching these cars. If you look around at most f-bodys they already have "visible wrinkles" just above the gas door on the drivers side now think it that metal was only fiberglass. crack! and that would become a serious waste of money real fast. They would also have to mold the rockerpanel into it since they are just one piece. Therefore decreasing the strength even more. I wouldn't even want to imagine what the car would look like after you launch with that. But add on fender flares would be cool to have even if you couldn't really beneft anything but looks from them.
good points