Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

anyone use the 4-led bulbs from MacEwen in a 95 camaro gauge cluster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 03:11 PM

anyone use the 4-led bulbs from MacEwen in a 95 camaro gauge cluster?

As stated above, has anyone replaced the stock intrument panel bulbs with MacEwen Motorsports 4-Led bulbs yet? Just received my overlays and bulbs and was wondering if they would fit in the black-plastic quarter turn bulb holders.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-21-2003, 03:38 PM

w/in

They should fit...that's why macewen sells them...i've heard ppl getting them from there. You should have bought the bulbs from this site.... http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm
Much cheaper as you can see. Good luck though with the bulbs...i'm debating if i should do that mod or just go to procarparts.com and get silver guagues with blue reverse indiglo that doesn't require needle removment for under 40 bucks.
Old 03-21-2003, 03:42 PM

this holders are PITA to work with
what I did - I went to the junk yard and found some old cavaler or something and took the sockets from it. Since they don't have bulbs permanatly attached to them it makes the whole work alot faster. Oh yea - Leds are polar sensitive so if they dont work one way take bulb out and rotate 180.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:34 PM

vandelay,

excuse me for a sec, gotta limber up so I can kick myself in the head! Those are good prices I'll have to bookmark that site for future reference...

catsnet,

use say you used sockets from an old cavalier? Any idea on the year? I might go to an auto yard tomorrow and see if I can't get my hands on some. Especially if they let you plug the bulb in rather than having to solder to the connectors...
Old 03-21-2003, 08:17 PM

dood
i honestly don't remember. i know it's younger then '90 for sure. I don't think they changed much though. Just get a bunch from a different cars. Even if you have to pay for them they wouldn't be that expencive.
And yes - they are plug and play
Old 03-21-2003, 10:39 PM
Banned

You have to solder the new bulbs in? I thought you just had to yank the old bulbs and stick the new ones in. My macewens and bulbs are on the way.
Old 03-21-2003, 11:56 PM

At least on my car (95 camaro) the bulbs are inserted into individual, black plastic quarter-turn connectors. These connectors have two metal grounding studs (for lack of a better term) molded into them which the original bulbs were factory spot welded to. When you reinsert the connector to the gauge cluster, these studs provide the connection to the circuit board. I changed mine out and just bent the wire terminals of the new bulbs over these studs and it's been working ok, but I knew I'd be taking them out again and replacing them. To do it right I plan in just a touch of solder to each bulb wire, to ensure a good connection. I'm going to be doing it tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes....

Last edited by mobleman; 03-21-2003 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-23-2003, 01:16 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mobleman
At least on my car (95 camaro) the bulbs are inserted into individual, black plastic quarter-turn connectors. These connectors have two metal grounding studs (for lack of a better term) molded into them which the original bulbs were factory spot welded to. When you reinsert the connector to the gauge cluster, these studs provide the connection to the circuit board. I changed mine out and just bent the wire terminals of the new bulbs over these studs and it's been working ok, but I knew I'd be taking them out again and replacing them. To do it right I plan in just a touch of solder to each bulb wire, to ensure a good connection. I'm going to be doing it tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes....
I may just skip the bulb chage if I have to solder.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:47 PM

this is what I'm saying
with the cavaler sockets you don't have to solid anything
Old 03-23-2003, 08:54 PM

Ok,
Did the install and bulb replacement on Saturday a few observations: using the 4-bulb led lights

1. Yes, I did have to solder the ends of the bulbs to the connectors. It wasn't too bad, hard to heat up both parts to get the solder to stick but it worked in the end.
2. The led bulbs are VERY bright head on but not from an angle. I spoke with Ryan at MacEwan about this beforehand and knew what I was getting into. The end result is that the gauge cluster is lit up with a very white (with an extremely slight bluish tint) light. Since the leds are brighter head on, the light is not distributed as well as I would have hoped but its not too bad. Extra light can be seen lighting up the white background leaking out from the base of the needles which isn't desired but is OK.
3. MacEwan's gauge overlays are very nice. I love the look (I have the white ones) and the install was not hard at all, just take your time.
4. If your doing this install, since you have the gauge out, now would be a great time to clean the clear plastic cover if there are fine scratches.. I used the 3m plastic polish and glaze, the stuff works wonders!!

If I was to do it over again, I would suggest using MacEwen's zenon white bulbs instead of the LEDs. I think they would distribtute the light better. I may still do this too, I can use the leds bulbs to light up the individual indicators, (turn signal warning lights etc.) and use the zenons for the gauge illumination.

Last edited by mobleman; 03-28-2003 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:56 PM

Catsnet is right on the money, get the cavalier sockets if you can. It would make the job much easier if you are not handy with a soldering iron...
Old 03-24-2003, 07:44 AM
Banned

Catsnet is right on the money, get the cavalier sockets if you can. It would make the job much easier if you are not handy with a soldering iron...
Well, I guess I am not changing the bulbs. I don't have the patience for the soldering and I don't own a soldering iron anyway.

I read about changing these bulbs a while ago on the board and they said it was done without soldering.

Oh well. Anyone wanna buy some green 4 LED bulbs?
Old 03-24-2003, 08:07 AM

Ryan at MacEwen just emailed and told me that the 1997 and on f-bodies use "serviceable" bulb holders. You could go to a dealership and see if you can buy some, or try an auto salvage yard for the parts.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:15 AM
Banned

Ryan at MacEwen just emailed and told me that the 1997 and on f-bodies use "serviceable" bulb holders. You could go to a dealership and see if you can buy some, or try an auto salvage yard for the parts.
No junkyards with 4th gens around here.

Does anyone have part numbers for the 97+ holders?
Old 03-28-2003, 08:35 AM
Banned

Originally posted by catsnet
this holders are PITA to work with
what I did - I went to the junk yard and found some old cavaler or something and took the sockets from it. Since they don't have bulbs permanatly attached to them it makes the whole work alot faster. Oh yea - Leds are polar sensitive so if they dont work one way take bulb out and rotate 180.
Would you happen to have a pic of the holders from the Cavalier or remember what they look like?

I have an extra gauge cluster from my beater that has the seperate bulb holders so I was thinking I could use them if they will fit.

Quick Reply: anyone use the 4-led bulbs from MacEwen in a 95 camaro gauge cluster?