Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Anyone make a unique custom item?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 11:21 AM

Arrow Anyone make a unique custom item?

Hey all.
We are a relatively new company and new advertiser here at Camaroz28.Com. My company specializes in unique items for automobiles (particularly f-bodies). We are still very small but would like to grow our inventory.

Our thought is that if you make a custom item that you would like to sell more of but don't have the time, advertising budget, ability to handle credit card payments, etc., perhaps we can work together.

If you have a unique custom made item that you can make in quantity (even small quantity) and want to sell more of, please e-mail me all the details plus pics if possible at http://www.speedspecialty.com/misc/contact.shtml

I know some of you folks here are pretty ingenious and I would very much like to hear from you! Also, if someone else you know can benefit from this, please consider letting them know about us!

Thank you!
Old 08-30-2003, 08:45 PM

aaahhhhhhh!!!!
Old 08-31-2003, 07:03 AM

:cough: Z06 style emblems :cough:
Old 08-31-2003, 09:50 AM

ok, since nobody else will say it!

cassette guage/switch holder!
"something similiar to this"

http://www.z28roc.cz28.com/shifter.jpg
Old 08-31-2003, 11:37 AM

fixed headlights for lt1 birds
Old 08-31-2003, 12:23 PM

Projector headlight conversion for Lt-1 camaro's I don't want to have to make all that! I get enough custom fab work doing all my friends cars, I'm too tired to do my own
Old 08-31-2003, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Guys, if you read the above email and the website, I don't believe they are offering to make/develop NEW parts for us.

What I think the deal is is that they are a speciality products reseller store.

Remember that custom spark plug socket wrench some dude came up with in LT1 Tech a few years ago and everyone wanted one? Well, I don't remember the details about the wrench (and the details aren't my point) other than some average joe came up with that tool and had a handful made for everyone. Since this guy was just an average dude like us, he probably didn't have the ability to take credit cards, a big advertising budget, blah, blah, blah. This is where I think the SpeedSpecialty store would come into play... they'd put the spark plug wrench on their site and handle the $$$ end of it, the advertising on different sites for it, and the exposure to get the product out there and known to several people (instead of just those in LT1 Tech!).

So, from what I can gather, SpeedSpecialty doesn't necessarily create and produce NEW products like you guys are asking but rather handles the business end of selling these type products... mostly for average joe people like us who happen to have a cool idea. So, if YOU want to make the LT1 bird fixed headlights and sell them, SpeedSpecialty will help you to get them off the ground if you can't get say, Wal-Mart, to sell them for you. LOL!

I could be completely off base here and if I am I'm sure SpeedSpecialty will correct me, but that's the way I see it and I wanted to chime in here because it seemed like you guys were thinking they were requesting what we want to see made/developed and I don't believe that's the case... although it would be cool if they did make and offer some of the items suggested
Old 08-31-2003, 07:29 PM

Cool..............now I have to get busy on all my projects.

-James
Old 09-03-2003, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by Brent94Z
Guys, if you read the above email and the website, I don't believe they are offering to make/develop NEW parts for us.

What I think the deal is is that they are a speciality products reseller store.
That is correct. Sorry that I was unclear on it!

We would like to work with people to help them get more of their custom items sold. I have seen quite a few people who make a cool automotive item but don't have the time or the budget for advertising, etc. Working together may be a way for things to work out well for all.

In the future as we grow we would like to be in the position to make custom items of our own but we have to get stable first.

Thanks!

Last edited by SpeedSpecialty; 09-03-2003 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:53 PM

If someone could end up with a design for those with the 97+ center console swap to put into that big gap like a switch holder or gauge pods that would be cool. I'd like to but I haven't the skill or ability to do so. Something like taht would be cool and could help out our new sponsor with a nice custom item if someone is up to it.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:03 PM
L44

Originally posted by CamaroBoy96Z28
If someone could end up with a design for those with the 97+ center console swap to put into that big gap like a switch holder or gauge pods that would be cool. I'd like to but I haven't the skill or ability to do so. Something like taht would be cool and could help out our new sponsor with a nice custom item if someone is up to it.
Ive been working on a fiberglass mold for the last month for that but i cant perfect it because of school grrr....maybe i just need a swift kick in the *** to get me movin
Old 09-04-2003, 03:15 PM

Arrow

I make a whole bunch of stuff, but it's always 1 of a kind. Maybe someone could churn out some LCAs or panhard rods.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:58 PM

Hey guys. Speed Specialty sounds like a good idea.

Now, if anyone has any kind of ideas for things to be fabricated, i might be able to help out. I can't really say i'm the most creative person in the world, but where i work, i have access to a machine shop, welders, and my specialty which is CNC Routers (basically a large computer controlled router). Anyway, i typically use Mastercam to draw or make programs for the machines. I can make 3d molds, and cut pretty much anything (as long as i have some sort of idea of what to start with and what to end with). Some ideas could be limited. But if you have some ideas and know what to make (what you want the end product to be), let me know, and we can talk.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the nice words.

One thing I should mention, I can't carry any item that needs to be licensed, I am sorry to say. Legal issues and all. This means anything with a Chevrolet bowtie, Z28 logos, etc. needs to be licensed before I can carry it. I looked into this first thing. If someone actually makes an item that needs to be licensed...and IS licensed, I would LOVE to carry it.

I just don't care to get in any sort of trouble with the big companies, considering I am such a small one right now. I have heard enough about people trying to sell knock-off items and getting busted for it and paying some actually severe penalties. They do not mess around, believe it or not.

However, other items I would be very happy to look into.

It is my thinking that if I can get some nice custom items for sale, the person making the unique items benefits, my little company benefits, and sites like this one benefits.

For example, I will be the exclusive distributor of Jason Debler's SmoothLocks in the near future. He just has some things to get straightened out first.

But I will still need more items in stock! I will still carry the few items I do now, and I will be carrying Scanmasters VERY soon (look for a GP in the near future) but without the help from ingenious people that are here, my selection won't be as big.

Thanks again!
Old 09-05-2003, 11:25 PM

www.zzperformance.com does this for the GTP community, all kinds of cool stuff.

Quick Reply: Anyone make a unique custom item?