Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

anybody seen guages in this spot (pic inside)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff
I decided to just mount 2 gauges in that spot. I moved the HVAC controls to the casette tape holder area and made a cover for it. I'm not sure I'm happy with the HVAC cover panel, I might still redo it again.
I like that, i still have the blower fan which I want to keep, so im trying to figure out a way to keep the fan switch so I may have to copy your idea and put mine down low
Old 02-17-2009, 05:09 PM

If you do decide to put the HVAC controls in that lower area, there's no turning back. You have to cut the ends off of the panel for it to fit in there. So once its done you'd have to order a new panel to be able to move it back up top. The good news is that it's not difficult tech wise, its just time consuming making brakets and faceplates so it all fits right lol. For the ABS plastic pieces I just went to the junk yard and got some plastic pieces off the dash of another camaro so the grain and color would be a good match. They only charged me 3.00 for a couple of random plastic pieces that I took out of the car. And you will have to cut quite a bit of plastic out of the cassette holder area for the body of the HVAC controls as well as the vacuum lines and actuator cables to fit.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:14 PM

Also, I like the way sn8ke eaters looks with 3 gauges in it. I already had a boost and fuel pressure in an a pillar pod so really I only needed a spot to mount the autometer wideband O2 guage. I ended up also throwing one of those cheap air to fuel ratio meters in there with the wideband just as a filler. After seeing his with 3 in that spot I'm considering getting rid of the dual a pillar pod and just mounting the boost, fuel pressure, and wideband in the HVAC spot and leaving out the air to fuel gauge
Old 02-17-2009, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff
If you do decide to put the HVAC controls in that lower area, there's no turning back. You have to cut the ends off of the panel for it to fit in there. So once its done you'd have to order a new panel to be able to move it back up top. The good news is that it's not difficult tech wise, its just time consuming making brakets and faceplates so it all fits right lol. For the ABS plastic pieces I just went to the junk yard and got some plastic pieces off the dash of another camaro so the grain and color would be a good match. They only charged me 3.00 for a couple of random plastic pieces that I took out of the car. And you will have to cut quite a bit of plastic out of the cassette holder area for the body of the HVAC controls as well as the vacuum lines and actuator cables to fit.
so, what did you have to do to get the vacuum lines and the cables down that low? Thats what I was worried about in the first place was something not working right once I moved everything.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:53 PM

I actually didnt have to modify or change any of the lines to get them down there. It really doesnt move them all that far, it was just a matter of pulling them out from behind and pushing them back in from behind the center console.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:48 AM

OK, last time I'm dragging this back to the top lol . One more note on putting the AC controls in the console. I just started converting my car from an A4 to an M6 and now something as simple as removing the console means removing the AC controls lol. Shows my lack of forethought, but still something I would probably put up with since I look at the gauges all the time and I rarely take the console out.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:37 AM

breakmyfoot off, what did u do to solidly mount the AC controls?
Old 02-24-2009, 03:19 PM

I just bent some pieces of steel at 90 degree angles and used some epoxy to attach them to the console in the places where they matched up with the mounting tabs on the AC controls (one in the middle on the top and two on the bottom). There were only 3 spots if I remember correctly (10mm screws?) Then I held the AC controls in place and marked the holes in the metal tabs and drilled the holes for the mounting screws. The flat cover is held in place with a piece of velcro at each corner so I didnt have to have screws visible from the outside.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:45 PM

alright, one lats question. got everything ready, got a panel made for guages in the HVAC section, got the HVAC controls out. im assuming the cassette holder spot, you had to cut that center brace out of?
Old 03-04-2009, 11:46 PM

Yeah, I had to cut a lot of plastic out of the cassette holder area. Even with the full width of the cassette area I still had to cut the ends of the HVAC controls off too. Sorry for the late response, I dont always go back into the same threads a lot, feel free to PM me if you have any questions. In fact, I have mine all apart right now doing the 6 speed swap, I could take some pics for you of what it looks like behind the panel if that'll help.