Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

93-96 Tape deck delete (Yes, THAT one)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:57 AM

93-96 Tape deck delete (Yes, THAT one)

I figure it out, somehow last night while trying to sleep, my ADHD kicked into overdrive. This is a simple solution to our most annoying problem of losing CDs when we stomp the gas. So here it goes: Get a thick piece of paper (probably just cut up a file folder, or an empty case of pop). Use that as a template to trace the little area infront of the ashtray. Place that on a bigger piece of cardboard. Affix the template to the cardboard with push pins. Stencil the template onto the cardboard with spray paint.(I think it will work the best.) The cardboard piece to your local Lowes/Home Depot and have then cut a piece that is very close to the inside shape(the traced part) on a piece of plexi glass. Go home with the plexi, a file, and sandpaper(depends on how **** retentive you are). Install piece, I think you're gunna want to borrow the wife's glue gun at this time. Use large drill bits/hole saw to allow for switches and guages to be added. I think I'm going to paint the back of mine when I do this myself. First person to do this, POST PICS!
Old 04-07-2008, 09:30 AM

I have that setup going into my car but I havent drilled the spots for switched yet. I just made "L" brackets that I screwed into the side of the holder and then cut a flat piece of stainless that is screwed on to the "L" brackets making it removable...
Old 04-07-2008, 10:50 AM

Thats the good part about hot glue, easy to deal with and re-apply. I was thinking the plexi was a good idea cuz stainless isn't always easy to find. Plexi is the cheap route that can be made to look good, easily.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:27 AM

Did almost the same thing about a year ago,but I used a cheap black clip board from Office Depot.Got some small L brakets from the hardware store and some of those little metal screw retainers.Epoxied them to the inside edges of the holder then drilled the holes in the L brackets over sized and used the retainers to screw in 4 small allen head bolts to hold it in place.Turned out nice.Right now I have my SLP manual fan switch in it.Easy to remove with the bolts to add other thing later on if I want to.

No pics right now,but I will try to get some and post them up.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:18 AM
Banned

So in the beginning of your post, it sounds like you're coming up with a solution to keep the CD's from sliding out...yet by the end of the post you have just come up with an idea to close that area off altogether with a gauge/switch panel?

Well for one, it's already been done. Two, it doesn't solve the problem of CD's sliding around everywhere because now they'll either be sliding around on your seat or in your floor.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:26 AM

My solution for them sliding around was a 12 disc changer full of mp3 cds and 2 extra changer mags in a small case.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:09 AM

shock6906 So in the beginning of your post, it sounds like you're coming up with a solution to keep the CD's from sliding out...yet by the end of the post you have just come up with an idea to close that area off altogether with a gauge/switch panel?
I have ADHD!!!! Leave me alone. Its just a tendency to put stuff there and then have it slide out. It may have already been done, but this solves the issue to those that aren't creative with ideas to solve the problem. Plus, no one makes the stupid panel anymore