Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

4th Gen T/A foglight questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 01:13 PM

4th Gen T/A foglight questions...

First off, how do you get to them? It looks like there are a pair of tie rods holding part of the car up where the foglights go.

Secondly, can you do some type of H.I.D conversion using the correct wattage bulbs etc?
Old 11-22-2002, 01:36 PM

How you get to them etc. I do not know...
But I think you could use the same housings that I used on my ATV to put in them...I have looked at my buddies T/A a few times and wondered if they would work, and I am almost positive they are the same size, and they would work.

I used these on my 4-wheeler...they are 3.5" I think, but they are very similar to the same size of the T/A...I didn't use the bracket is shows in that picture to mount mine...there are different ways you could mount them. It would require some experimenting as I did with my '93-'97 Fog Light install guide in my sig...

But these things burn very white and very bright...and project a very excellent HID simulated beam.

Another question I have for you though is do you change just the bulb on the T/A foglights? If that's the case, you could convert to HID, but it would be around $300...but you could also (if it takes certain bulbs) upgrade to just a white bulb or something...
Old 11-22-2002, 04:13 PM

to get to them, you have to pull out the 4 pushtabs holding the underneath of the nose on. Once you do that there are 2 bolts for each light holding on a bracket. The Piaa 510's are the erfect size for the foglights. The only hesitation i would have about using those pilot fog lights is that our cars are notorious for cracking the lights and those pilot lights look kinda weak.

http://piaa.com/displayLamp.php3?inc=510.html
Old 11-22-2002, 06:35 PM

I'm in the process of doing the same thing. I attained the apc fogs which u see @ any autoparts store. (the ones that stay glowing after u turn them off) they are the exact same size as the factory ones and run you about $51 and some change. They use the h3 halogen bulb, I purchased an HID conversion kit from my buddy (still has 3 left) for h3 bulbs, ran me $225. i think it's gonna look bad as$. I thought the glow in the dark trim on the fogs would look kinda gay, but it dosen't really glow that intense or last that long. from what im aware of the factory bulb (810) i beleive does not have an HID replacement, which is why I went with the apc's, also one of mines is getting water inside so i decided to go with a brand new set. but i know apc sells true HID fog's and they have some round ones which are 3.5" diameter, but the factory's are 4" so there might be a slight size difference when u look at it from far away.
Old 11-23-2002, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by jkayner
The only hesitation i would have about using those pilot fog lights is that our cars are notorious for cracking the lights and those pilot lights look kinda weak.
Dude, I am using them on a Four Wheeler...if you get into anything rougher than what I get into in a Trans Am, buy a truck...not being a butthole or anything, but they are glass, thick glass, and I would bet a dime to a donut that the PIAA's aren't any stonger. And the back part of the housing is solid steel...so if you crack them, you have cracked the front end of your car. The only hesitation I would guess that you have (just my assumptions, not pointing fingers) is that you don't want to use anything but the expensive stuff because you automatically assume that a high price tag equals quality. In many cases, yes this is true, but in light housings, PIAA doesn't use bullet proof glass. I know that PIAA is the most advanced in lighting, I admit that hands down, but sometimes there are more reasonable options. I am not saying that you were just putting them down, because you probably haven't ever seen them in person, and just don't know, but you shouldn't automatically assume that something isn't good without having any idea.

Last edited by 94BlackBowtie; 11-23-2002 at 07:38 AM.