WTB handgun

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 11:27 PM

Re: WTB handgun

Originally Posted by toadies101
Why dont you just get a 12GA shotgun.. A lot more protection than a hand gun IMO, a hell of alot easier to hit your target and best of all its legal to buy when you are 18 (at least here in AZ)..

Believe 18 is the legal age for any long gun. Shotgun's are much better in home CQB/CGC. The only problem is people want to use buckshot in the home use. Thats a bad idea as in 00 buckshot has .32 cal *****. They will travel thru walls and hit what ever is on the other side. My favorite home loads are BBB in a 2 3/4 long. Had enough to knock down who ever and not leave the room you shoot them in.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:33 PM

i got a 870 20 gague mag, but I would like something eaiser to handle. If someone were to break into my house I can't see getting to and using a shotgun in such a confined space well....also you have to worry about them finding it before you even realize their in the house and using it against you.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by TA-Body
i got a 870 20 gague mag, but I would like something eaiser to handle. If someone were to break into my house I can't see getting to and using a shotgun in such a confined space well....also you have to worry about them finding it before you even realize their in the house and using it against you.

If you think that then I am truly worried. I have been thru many many many CQC/CQB schools and real life combat in close quaters. Shotguns 99% are the cats butt. Side note the sound of a racking shotgun has scared more robbers then seeing or firing the weapon.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by imnotfast
If you think that then I am truly worried. I have been thru many many many CQC/CQB schools and real life combat in close quaters. Shotguns 99% are the cats butt. Side note the sound of a racking shotgun has scared more robbers then seeing or firing the weapon.
Thats true. A shotgun doesn't really doesn't require much of an aim in the confines of a house. Also if you do hit something with a shotgun in close quarters you know its going down immediately, and maybe in a few pieces at that.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
Thats true. A shotgun doesn't really doesn't require much of an aim in the confines of a house. Also if you do hit something with a shotgun in close quarters you know its going down immediately, and maybe in a few pieces at that.

the other nice part is you can load it with #4 shot and have whatever doesn't put the intruder down STOP in the walls rather than killing your neighbors like a pistol or rifle round might.

i keep a Mossberg 590 with #4 shotshells behind the bedpost.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:50 PM

do like i do let the dogs out funny how many people run when they see 2 pittbulls coming at them plus you can rescue them at the pund and its like a loaded handgun
Old 10-31-2005, 02:53 PM

i got a 170 pound rottweiler, just wanted some extra peace of midn that is easy to get to, a shotgun is just to big for the small rooms in my house. It be to hard to pull the thing out if he got to you before you got the gun ready.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:39 PM

fwiw, a 9mm will probably go through the walls of your "small" rooms....

i say go with the shotgun, less accuracy, cheaper, wont go through a wall and kill an innocent, ammo is less,...the list goes on...

if you have your mind set on a handgun......... just for home protection, go cheaper than a glock.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:58 PM

I also think shotgun would be the way to go.

I've got an M1 carbine that I'd feel pretty comfortable using if someone broke into the house. It's light, accurate, has good stopping power, and my choice of 5, 15 and 30 round magazines. Good luck finding one for cheap though
Old 11-07-2005, 05:07 PM

IF your haven problems swinging that shot gun around in your "small rooms" cut that barrel down! Do it the old fasion way! Screw a hand gun, chances are your not going to hit them with it anyways. Get the right shot, with a sawed off shot gun, aim in the right dirrection in the middle of the night and you wont have anything to worry about.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:22 PM

I read this post a couple days ago and found some humor in the whole "private party" handgun sale idea.... I wouldn't have added my .02, until this unrelated comment....
Originally Posted by TA-Body
i got a 170 pound rottweiler
170lb Rottweiler, hmmm....I've got a dollar for a pic of this dog on a scale. I've handled literally HUNDREDS of Rottweilers ...none of them near 170lb, and I am curious to see this massvie beast. Large male Filas have problems reaching 170lb.....

BTW, if the rooms are too small to operate a shotgun...where does the dog sleep?
Old 11-07-2005, 07:30 PM

Mossberg Pursuader in 12 ga.

It's what I have, and I'd grab it before getting out my Glock 23. For you, it's a no brainer. Your chances of saving yourself with a pistol are far outweighed by the chances of you ending up in JAIL with a felony arms conviction. If you shoot your bad guy at age 20 with your shotgun, you go downtown, get questioned, then sent home if its truly self defense. If you shoot your bad guy with your illegal pistol, you go downtown and put in jail to await your prosecution regardless if it was self-defense or not.

I think your idea is very, very unwise. Especially these days. Just buy the shotgun then dump it in 12 months if you really HAVE to have the pistol. Better yet, keep the shotgun for home defense and the pistol for concealed carry (assuming you still qualify. My instincts say not, for some unvoiced reason.)
Old 11-07-2005, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Whitey
I read this post a couple days ago and found some humor in the whole "private party" handgun sale idea.... I wouldn't have added my .02, until this unrelated comment....

170lb Rottweiler, hmmm....I've got a dollar for a pic of this dog on a scale. I've handled literally HUNDREDS of Rottweilers ...none of them near 170lb, and I am curious to see this massvie beast. Large male Filas have problems reaching 170lb.....

BTW, if the rooms are too small to operate a shotgun...where does the dog sleep?

he is 165 and has severe hip dysplasia, and is by far the largest rott I have ever had. I have had them sense I was 5 and the average weight of our males was 100-120.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by ws6transam
Mossberg Pursuader in 12 ga.

It's what I have, and I'd grab it before getting out my Glock 23. For you, it's a no brainer. Your chances of saving yourself with a pistol are far outweighed by the chances of you ending up in JAIL with a felony arms conviction. If you shoot your bad guy at age 20 with your shotgun, you go downtown, get questioned, then sent home if its truly self defense. If you shoot your bad guy with your illegal pistol, you go downtown and put in jail to await your prosecution regardless if it was self-defense or not.

I think your idea is very, very unwise. Especially these days. Just buy the shotgun then dump it in 12 months if you really HAVE to have the pistol. Better yet, keep the shotgun for home defense and the pistol for concealed carry (assuming you still qualify. My instincts say not, for some unvoiced reason.)

Thats what I love about Texas, if they are on your property without your permission, then you have a right to shoot 'em!
Old 11-15-2005, 11:42 AM

yeh you guys are right, I am turning 21 in a couple months so I was just looking for something ahead of time...but I'll just wait there's no rush.

Quick Reply: WTB handgun