Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

why do mustangs sound better than camaros

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 11:43 PM

why do mustangs sound better than camaros

I have a 98 z28 with headers 3 inch y pipe and a 3 inch straight pipe turn down( no cats no mufflers). Now it's loud but doesnt bother me can't really hear it with the windows up but anyway. My friend has a 5.0 mustang ( not the fox body,94-95) and he just has turn downs stock exhaust just turn downs and it sound freakin awesome nice rumble loud too. My other friend has a 97 GT 4.6 and he has straight pipes and his sounds really nice too. Our cars are a liter bigger or .7 bigger so I would think ours would be better sounding and louder, the 5.0 is louder than mine. Now i know it's a matter of opinion and some might not think so, but I do. Is it because of the H-pipe and the X-pipe?
Old 06-29-2005, 12:11 AM

Re: why do mustangs sound better than camaros

if i am remembering correctly mustangs come with dual exhausts that have an h pipe. if you have ever heard a camaro with an x or an h pipe you would surely change your current opinion, as they sound amazing
Old 06-29-2005, 12:28 AM

Yeah Stangs have true duals instead of y-pipe setups.

Roadtrip120 and some other LT1's around here have true dual setups, roadtrips sounds NICE......

When it comes right down to it, it doesn't really matter how good a Mustang sounds, you can't hear there exhaust when you are ahead of them.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:30 AM

They sound different than our 5.7 LT1/LS1 motors because we're talking about different firing orders, camshaft/cylinder head design, CR, exhaust set-ups (single vs dual), etc...Just totally different motors...

I do really like the way most 5.0's sound, especially with an offroad H and Flows. But I'm not quite as fond of the 4.6's and think an LT1 with the right exhaust set-up sounds better than them. Much harder to get an LS1 to sound as nice as I'd like in comparison though IMO...

Mike
Old 06-29-2005, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by 2000LS1Z28
They sound different than our 5.7 LT1/LS1 motors because we're talking about different firing orders, camshaft/cylinder head design, CR, exhaust set-ups (single vs dual), etc...Just totally different motors...

Mike
different firing order,the LS1 has, says Yoda. thats why no matter how loud an LS1 ever gets, it never will sound like a traditional small block (Chevy or Ford)

okay, so i'm a dork for the Yoda bit. i don't even really like Star Wars.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:43 AM

I've been getting compliments on the sound of my car from Ford guys, so I'm not worried. Ya, a 5.0 may sound better, but when a supercharged 93 Cobra can only pull me by a car length (got me on the go and that was it) and all I have is a lid, mid lengths, catted Y and mufflex catback, who cares? Need to find the guy again now that I have some KD's on the rear instead of the stock tires.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:34 AM

I've had numerous stang guys break down and admit they love the sound of my z.
it was something like 14 below when I took the video. so thats why the plumeage
http://www.boomspeed.com/bharnz/start.mpg

http://www.boomspeed.com/bharnz/rev.mpg
Old 06-29-2005, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by robvas
LS1 sounds like poo

5.0's sound better than LT1's at WOT but they sound worse at idle, IMO
Speak for yourself bro...Maybe a lot of LS1's don't sound very good, but mine w/ the GMMG + Kooks LT headers (highflow cats) doesn't sound like your average raspy/tinny LS1 either. An LS1 w/ the right true dual set-up sounds far from poo either...
Old 06-29-2005, 11:38 AM
Bert02SS

It really boils down to personal taste, but there is nothing like the sound of true duals, whether they hang under a Rustang or not.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:30 PM

As someone said earlier, its a combination of things. Mostly I think because of firing order and the Y-pipe. I have a GTO with Kooks long tubes and factory exhaust with flowmasters welded in and It sounds absolutely sweet. I've owned several 5.0 mustangs and this thing sounds as good as or better than any of them. I've even had several die hard Mustang folks tell me that is sounds like a 5.0. But the ls1 has an almost identical firing order to the 5.0 (13726548-5.0 to 14726538-ls1) and I do have true dual exhaust so I guess it would make sense.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:41 PM

I thought Mustang's had the same firing order as us, Ford just labels their cylinders different.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:43 PM

Does the fact that 4.6 is a modular engine make a difference? I know that my DOHC 4.6 sound mean during WOT but is to raspy while cruising around. I have flows with no cats and an X-pipe.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:26 PM

My Z28 sounded really good w/ the dynomouth, however, comparing stock cars, I will say My GTO sounds a lot better versus the z28 I had stock (ls1). I will say that I loved the sound of my 02 Z28 when I traded it off for the Goat because the Goat is still a little too quiet for my tastes but does have a nice growl in the upper rpms. I just need to do exhaust and intake on the goat and I will be even happier.

Charlie
Old 06-29-2005, 01:31 PM

i love the way my ls1 sounds.... but its a dif motor.. cant expect it to sound the same...

-cory-
Old 06-29-2005, 02:03 PM

Having owned a 302 for 5 years and now ls1's for 5 years, the 302 wins in terms of sound.

Quick Reply: why do mustangs sound better than camaros