Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Sheet Metal Intake under 7000 RPM's

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 05:14 AM

Sheet Metal Intake under 7000 RPM's

Gents

Is there substantial power or torque to be gained with a sheet metal intake in the 5000 to 7000 RPM range or do they really only shine (no pun intended) above 7 grand.

also:

Is anybody making a sheet metal intake that clears the cowl and stock hood?

Steve
Old 03-31-2006, 10:01 AM

Re: Sheet Metal Intake under 7000 RPM's

Hey Steve, I have been thinking about this quite a bit myself over the past month or 2. I'm a little hesitant to spend 3K or better on a CFE, Hogans or Wilson, and considering we don't have a ton of room under the cowl area, thats going to limit its size and design. I know some guys are having success with the converted single plane, and its a step in the right direction over an LT1/LT4 intake, but I would love to explore other ideas/options. I will throw and idea out there that I have, somthing I will try when I buy a welder in the next month or 2. I want to build something along the lines of a sheetmetal intake, using an Edelbrock Victor Ram (PN 7070) as a base/starting point. The rough idea I have is cutting it down somewhat depending on how tall the intake is, and building a box upper with the throttle body facing the front of the motor. Like I said, its an idea, and something that I will give a shot. If it doesnt work, hey, its only a $260 part that I ruined. Here is the pic of of the Summit website:

Getting back to answering Steve's question, I wonder how much could be gained from upgrading to a sheetmetal.

Nick
Old 03-31-2006, 10:10 AM
West South Central Moderator

odd, I've thought about the same thing
Old 03-31-2006, 11:06 AM

Interesting idea, I'd love to see if it works
Old 03-31-2006, 12:10 PM

Steve,
I have been trying to get ahold of you for the last couple weeks...you must have changed your number! Give me a ring when you have a second.

On the intake note...for this RPM range, you can fill the bill with a properly designed single plane. I have been contacted by 2 different people in the last couple months about providing machined manifolds for "bolt on" kits, The only problem I currently have is making everything fit under a stock hood...maybe you wanna be a guinea pig...

Dennis
Old 03-31-2006, 06:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NJLT1SS
I want to build something along the lines of a sheetmetal intake, using an Edelbrock Victor Ram (PN 7070) as a base/starting point. The rough idea I have is cutting it down somewhat depending on how tall the intake is, and building a box upper with the throttle body facing the front of the motor. Like I said, its an idea, and something that I will give a shot. If it doesnt work, hey, its only a $260 part that I ruined. Here is the pic of of the
Remember the old BRE Pro Ram.... well BTDT... a well ported single plane flows better and is much easier to do.... MUCH EASIER.

As for getting the single plane to work under the stock hood.... working on a elbow for that one.

Bret
Old 03-31-2006, 07:54 PM

Hey Bret, yes, I remember the old BRE Pro Ram, and its a really nice piece by the way. I take your word for it that a well-ported single plane flows better. I compared the pics of both the Victor Ram and the HSR, as at one time I contemplated building something similar to the Pro Ram that you created. I noticed that the HSR has D-shaped runners, where the Victor Ram has runners that are rectangular shaped, and the runner appears to taper from small to larger as it approaches the plenum, and appears to have larger cross section throughout the runner. I'm betting that’s where the Victor Ram can maybe have a benefit, or shine over the HSR base. I was close to getting the Victor EFI intake, and fabbing an elbow for it, but I want to give the Victor Ram a shot. As far as flow goes Bret, how your you rate the difference between say a welded/ported LT1/4 intake, versus the BRE Pro Ram, versus the well ported single plane? I’m still going to give it a shot, just to see what the Victor Ram can do, and see what I can create with it. I will take pics and post as I go along. Hey, if I screw up the Ram, you can add me to the list for an elbow for a single plane.

Nick
Old 03-31-2006, 08:42 PM

Bret,
I think I have the elbow fingered out...I have a couple designs on cars with hoods, but the elbow/tb is now where near not clearing a stock hood. I am more concerned with tubing and placement for the MAF. Lloyd seemed to think that most people would be buying the kits in place of the LT4 intake and would still be using the stock PCM. If you were using an aftermarket computer or ran the factory unit in speed density, then all the problems are gone. Give me a call sometime (hopefully I won't be too swamped in the next couple weeks) I can get something mocked up. I also have a CNC master of my victor and dart intake, I will probably incorporate the bolt angle change and bolt relocation in the program, so it becomes "touchless" and plug and play for the customer. Now I just have to free up the machine to make them!

Dennis
Old 03-31-2006, 10:58 PM
Banned

I've been working on the elbow for a while... think I'm getting there for a mass produced one. Hopefully for the summer. MAF is not a problem if you think about it the right way.

As for the computer program on the work to the intake... I'd like to talk to you about that since I've been thinking about the same thing and just doing a little welding.

BTW I have to get a hold of you anyways about the LS1 setup. Just waiting for the valves and the intake to come in so I can get them too you. Might just drive down and drop them off. I'll bring down a single plane if I can as well so we can compare notes.

Bret
Old 04-01-2006, 01:19 PM
Banned

Ryan,

After all the work that it took to build, and that Ken never got to run it, I really don't care anymore. Single planes take enough work to make, and that dam thing took about twice the time to make.

Any intake swap is going to take SOME fab work. Fuel lines is the thing you can never get around having the customer do themselves.

Bret
Old 04-01-2006, 03:16 PM

I like this sheet metal intake! I'm not sure what company built it, but I do remeber they are a large well know company. Its on the fastest N/A Impala on the planet! Its pushing 700+ hp on the motor! This is also probably the only LT1 I know of thats gotten rid of the opti and runs a crank trigger with a FAST system.

While on the subject here's another sheetmetal intake made by Keith Mease, sorry about the blower being in the way...lol

Old 04-01-2006, 08:02 PM
Banned

That Impy should be fast with all those solenoid's hung on it.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:12 PM
West South Central Moderator

it's in the 9s at just under 4000#
Old 04-01-2006, 08:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AdioSS
it's in the 9s at just under 4000#
Yep,it should be.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:53 PM

I would be interested in a single plane/elbow when someone gets one they are ready to offer. I just put this motor together so it will stay relatively the same, but I'm always looking for more parts that would help squeeze some more power out of this thing. Little bit of customer work is fine, lots of custom work would probably change my mind about wanting it.

Quick Reply: Sheet Metal Intake under 7000 RPM's