Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Rear end needs Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 09:30 AM

Unhappy Rear end needs Help

Alright fellas. I have posted a few others over the last 3 weeks.
"Bad Vibrations"
"Rear-end Vibe"
and now this one. I have had some VERY helpful input to Thanks guys.

Now comes the delima. I have bad vibration in the higher RPM range. No matter what gear it is in . When it hits about 2,800 - 3,000. It starts to get a vibration. It is DEFENITLY in the rear of the car. It is like a rotating noice. it is not a constant humm at the same pitch it is osculating. almost like a cycle. I can't explain the exact noise. Though i can explain the problems.

I have narrowed it down tramendously from all the help frm this message board. I have taken out hte DS and checked Yoke, u-joints , check for a bent DS , it APPEARS to be in good shape.

I removed the rear gear cover and the ring gear is warn pretty bad. It shows a wear pattern all the way to the back of the teeth. There is also a small grove being cut into the ring gear. When the car is in nutural and you spin the rear manualy useing the tires. You can feel it makeing a ticking feeling through each tooth it grabs. it has a small catch. I know that is a problem it self. Also i am having fluid leaking on both sides of the rear gear where it connects to the exle. It is not running out but there is smalll amount built up on both sides looking like a slow leek. Coulde that be from a bent axle. In not then what is it from . There is also talk about the REar diferacail <-- excuse spelling --
How could i properly diagnse this problem . Any input is help full.

It has also been thaught that the welded fin converter could be causeing the vibration. But would that be from the RPM ? I don't beleave that that would be a problem only in certain RPM range. I don't understand that one.

It has also been thaught that the tires being off balanced coulde be the problem . SO i just bad Brand new tires put on. I Have a wrranty on the car so i am hopeing to get this fixed before what ever it is goes on me
Old 02-18-2003, 11:43 PM

Have you checked your pinion angle..I did not read any posts in the past....If not -2 has worked good 4 me
Old 02-19-2003, 11:06 AM

I don't have the proper tools to check the pinion angle. Is there any othere possibilitys ? I would like to know why there is built up greaze out side the rear gears on the Axle . TO any one who can help me i bow to the
Old 02-19-2003, 11:11 AM

all you need is an angle finder, you can get one at a hardware store. All you do is put the angle finder on the driveshaft. Get the angle. Put the finder on torque arm, where it attaches to the rearend. subtract the two readings any you have your angle. If the angle is off it will cause vibrations, destroy bearing, etc... I would check this first. Is the rear end stock? How about the torque arm
Old 02-19-2003, 11:24 AM

How is an angel finder? Yeah the rear is stock. and the arm. both stock. i have done no connectors. or new arms through out the car. I have a deal with a guy at the transmision shop that he will do warranty work for me and do mods if i pay the difference . I just had the 3rd and 4th gear clutch go out in me A4. so he went in an did some dammage to that tranny. he did a full overhaul. But . he replaced all the clutches with performance clutches and put in a powerband with a FULL shift kit. valve body springs everything. Then he put in a 5pinion steel power house "planet" in the tranny to. it only cost me an extra $163 cause the warranty picked up most of it. That is what i am going to do with the rear. i wanna drop 373 in that baby.

I asm also trying really hard to figure out if the axle is bent or bent flxed real back cause of the built up greese on the axle. If so then i can get it replaced by warranty.

Bye the way. if i was to find the angel of the pinion. how could i adjust the angle. ?