Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

piston coatings

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 01:18 AM

piston coatings

anyone have pics of them...guys telling me these pistons are coated but doesnt know what coating...they are boost pistons from diamond, the tops look dull silver...sides i wouldent know...dont know if i can call diamond or not but al lthe coated pistons ive seen are bronze on the top and black i think on the sides? anyone have pics of some and what coating it is?
Old 05-11-2008, 07:31 AM

Pictures might help a bit.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:50 AM

Check on our website under coatings, we have a pick of some that sound like what you are dealing with. We coat our piston tops with a CBX thermal dispersant. The color is dull silver after curing in the ovens. On our skirts we use a TLMB coating wich is a moly based dry film that is flat black in color.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Banned

What good does it really do? not many people do it...seems like a waste of money to me
Old 05-12-2008, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by mdacton
What good does it really do? not many people do it...seems like a waste of money to me
Well in a sence you are correct actually,
Say you take a bone stock LS1 or LT1 engine and thermal coat everything inside and out while also coating everything with anti-friction coatings...Gain? Maybe 2 or 3 horsepower but longer engine life and better wear patterns, but in my opinion..not worth the cash.

However,
On a N/A race motor, boosted, or N20 engine the gains are much better. You are able to run higher compression ratio's on N/A set ups than you can on non coated parts, decreased hot spots on the piston tops and combustion chambers under boost and nitrous. The best thing about the dry film anti friction coatings is they actually grab and retain oil so higher rpms when your pan is a little light on volume your parts are still coated with oil and gives you extra insurance, besides that they reduce friction and free up a little power also. The other way they help power, is by taking the heat generated by the fuel burn and turn it into efficiency rather than allowing the heat to soak into the metals.

There is a great debate with coatings and the truth is on a street motor..I wouldn't spend the money. Just being honest here. On a street motor that sprays a 150 shot or higher of N20..I would say do it just to help prevent detonation and save the motor. Race or high compression set ups..I consider it a must for a lasting set up.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by PortMasters
Well in a sence you are correct actually,
Say you take a bone stock LS1 or LT1 engine and thermal coat everything inside and out while also coating everything with anti-friction coatings...Gain? Maybe 2 or 3 horsepower but longer engine life and better wear patterns, but in my opinion..not worth the cash.

However,
On a N/A race motor, boosted, or N20 engine the gains are much better. You are able to run higher compression ratio's on N/A set ups than you can on non coated parts, decreased hot spots on the piston tops and combustion chambers under boost and nitrous. The best thing about the dry film anti friction coatings is they actually grab and retain oil so higher rpms when your pan is a little light on volume your parts are still coated with oil and gives you extra insurance, besides that they reduce friction and free up a little power also. The other way they help power, is by taking the heat generated by the fuel burn and turn it into efficiency rather than allowing the heat to soak into the metals.

There is a great debate with coatings and the truth is on a street motor..I wouldn't spend the money. Just being honest here. On a street motor that sprays a 150 shot or higher of N20..I would say do it just to help prevent detonation and save the motor. Race or high compression set ups..I consider it a must for a lasting set up.
Glad to hear that i myself have always wondered about that