Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Methanol Injection ????

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 11:19 AM

Cool Methanol Injection ????

Well, I was thinking about how they use water to cool the induction of air and make more power last night. Great, good idea.... Then I started to think about the dillutive act that water has on gasoline... Hmmmm....

Now, here is what i'm thinking... Methanol injection. A spray of methanol to cool the intake charge. If you have ever gotten any on your hand, you know how cold it becomes when it contacts air, and it's flammable. It would be a pretty simple setup using a small 1 gallon tank and some lines as far as i can see...

Any Ideas ? Has this been done ?

-Shannon
Old 03-01-2003, 01:39 PM

I see a problem withMethanol being highly corrosive when compared to gasoline, not to mention it has low stability for storage and isn't very soluble in gasoline.

Vito
Old 03-01-2003, 02:05 PM

Cool

Oh Vito, don't forget i've been using methanol since I started racing 9 years ago

I'm thinking a 1 gallon auxilery tank run to the back of the throttle body with some nozzles to inject it into the intake, towards the back, kind of like the NOS throttle bodies. Damn thing would be pretty much free if I used a wiper motor or something similar to pump the meth.

Would the cooling charge help much I wonder
I don't think the atomized fuel would have any problems mixing. I know that meth won't directly mix with gas very well, and it definitly won't mix with oil.

I'm just trying to cool the charge going into the intake...

-Shannon
Old 03-01-2003, 03:45 PM

Instead of using meth, why dont you use alku instaed and by a smc alky injection ket to solve you cooling problems?.
Old 03-01-2003, 03:45 PM

We use alcohol and propane injection kits in the turbo buicks all the time. Alky injection does a few things actually: first it cools the intake charge and CC temps(lower specific heat), acts as a supplemental fuel (methanol is about 110-115 octane, ethanol about 100).Methanol is a good injecting agent, but is too corrosive to normal fuel lines and pumps. I think it was discovered that a mid-90s Ford truck fuel pump will stand up to meth for quite some time. I use 100% denatured from Lowes and have had great results(it is Ethanol, but has a little meth added to make it poisonous to keep people from making their own beverages ). Lately Propane injection stole the spotlight though.

For me:
93oct/17psi max/little to no knock
93+alky injection/24psi max/little to no knock. So alky lets me run 7psi more boost than on pump alone.
1 tank of alky will last about 13-15 runs at the track.

A fellow member over on the TB board ran almost 27psi boost on pump gas and propane injection. The thing is, propane is somewhat cheap, allows you to run more boost, and if you boost it a couple of times a day a tank will last you over a month. I might be selling my SMC alky setup and getting Jay Carter's "Propain" system.

Browse around on here for a while:

www.turbobuick.com/messagebd/

go to the alky,n2o, and propane board and enjoy.

[edit]- check out the thread entitled "methanol in the smc kit", they go into a very detail discussion about ethanol vs methanol

Last edited by Fast Caddie; 03-01-2003 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-01-2003, 04:33 PM

Cool

I'm heading to the TB forum now

Main reason I want to use Meth over Alc is the fact I can get any amount of meth I want for free

I'm gonna try this on my Z28 and see if I feel any difference or anything. I'm definitly gonna do this on the 2.8 after we get the turbo set up on there... Shhhhh

Be expecting some pics in a couple weeks...lol

-Shannon
Old 03-02-2003, 01:54 PM

Don't know too awful much about meth but I do know the stuff is extremely corrosive. How do you plan to keep it from eating everything up? Maybe stainless fittings???

Good luck though!

-Mindgame
Old 03-02-2003, 06:11 PM

Cool

Originally posted by Mindgame
Don't know too awful much about meth but I do know the stuff is extremely corrosive. How do you plan to keep it from eating everything up? Maybe stainless fittings???

Good luck though!

-Mindgame
Plastic and stainless I'm going to use the same fuel lines we used on our racing karts since it's not going to require a large amount of fuel just too cool the charge. now i'm just working on figuring out what kind of pump to use

-Shannon
Old 03-02-2003, 08:18 PM

This is rather old technology...

How bout just water? Water has a higher heat capacity therfore it can hold (or absorbe) 7 times more heat that gasoline.

If you don't need the octane don't use it
Old 03-02-2003, 09:13 PM

Cool

Originally posted by ROOSTER93V8
This is rather old technology...

How bout just water? Water has a higher heat capacity therfore it can hold (or absorbe) 7 times more heat that gasoline.

If you don't need the octane don't use it
Thats the thing, I think i'm gonna need the octane

BTW, i'm trying to find an Eaton lol

-Shannon
Old 03-02-2003, 09:17 PM

I believe different things where injected into aircraft motors way back in WW1 By WW2 nitrous, Water, methane where all being used.

Its not surprising that 80% of fuel used is used for internal lubrication and cooling.

Those Me-109 mechanical fuel injected and RR Merlin engines of ww2 where simply amazing.

BTW need a M90?
Old 03-02-2003, 10:27 PM

Cool

I believe different things where injected into aircraft motors way back in WW1 By WW2 nitrous, Water, methane where all being used.

Its not surprising that 80% of fuel used is used for internal lubrication and cooling.

Those Me-109 mechanical fuel injected and RR Merlin engines of ww2 where simply amazing.

BTW need a M90?
Yep, looking for an m90, but not until after the baby pops out this summer

Thanks for the info in your Eaton post BTW, I've got tons of plans now

-Shannon
Old 03-02-2003, 10:37 PM

asdl

No problem,

Jeez, i'm not going to head back overthere until i work on it a bit more though. If you read I've been answering the EXACT same question for 2 pages now. hehe
Old 03-02-2003, 10:43 PM

Re: asdl

No problem,

Jeez, i'm not going to head back overthere until i work on it a bit more though. If you read I've been answering the EXACT same question for 2 pages now. hehe
Lol, yeah, i'm about to just send you my digital camera...Lol

-Shannon
Old 03-03-2003, 03:53 PM

Check out www.snowperformance.net they have the methanol/water cooler kit w/everthing you need for about $300.00.

Quick Reply: Methanol Injection ????