Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

ICS Titan Head gaskets by SCE???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 04:53 PM

ICS Titan Head gaskets by SCE???

Is anyone using these ICS Titan head gaskets by SCE on their LT1? I need to get some new head gaskets and I am looking for the best OTHER than Cometic gaskets because I am not gonna pull the block and have it resurfaced just to install some new head gaskets. What about using some copper gaskets anyone have a good set of those that I could look into?

Please don't ask me why I don't just use felpro's or some stock ones because those just won't cut it.

thanks
Old 05-14-2006, 10:20 PM
Banned

Re: ICS Titan Head gaskets by SCE???

What are ya doing that Fel Pro won't cut it?

IMO ya don't want copper on anything but a trailer queen and only if it is double "o" ringed then.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by 1racerdude
What are ya doing that Fel Pro won't cut it?

IMO ya don't want copper on anything but a trailer queen and only if it is double "o" ringed then.
Even though I said "PLEASE DON'T ASK" I running a 400 shot with 11:1 compression plus too many other mods to list hence the reason I said please don't ask but it's all good.

So copper gaskets are bad because? I don't drive the car around that often it's seriously borderline full drag/street plus my gas mileage SUCKS and with these high gas prices I try not to drive it anymore than I need to which would only be on the weekends for racing so that's pretty much where I stand with it.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:05 AM

I know why LR said "no copper gaskets" and I agree with him except for in the case of the SCE Titans, I have these on several street motors and many marine BBC's with none of the common problems that usually come with coppers. They do not have a part number for the LT1 though, you will have to call them and get them made. You do need to have the heads surfaced to get rid of the brinelling before the new titans are installed.

What head studs are you using with a 400 shot? You may need to step up to some H-11 stuff.

Last edited by MachinistOne; 05-15-2006 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:07 AM
Banned

There is NO reason a 1074 won't hold. The block and head should be "O" ringed at that level. If ya don't rattle it they will hold without rings and a correct install. The O rings just give ya a little more.
Ya can't completely stop the copper from leaking water when cold and copper should be O ringed on the block at least. I do both but to each his own.
At that level ya ain't just gonna throw something at it and fix it ya gonna have to do it right or get off the hose.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by 1racerdude
There is NO reason a 1074 won't hold. The block and head should be "O" ringed at that level. If ya don't rattle it they will hold without rings and a correct install. The O rings just give ya a little more.
Ya can't completely stop the copper from leaking water when cold and copper should be O ringed on the block at least. I do both but to each his own.
At that level ya ain't just gonna throw something at it and fix it ya gonna have to do it right or get off the hose.
Yea you might be right because they SHOULD HOLD. See I ran into an issue with my waterpump failing and well I have my car wired to shut off if the oil pressure drops below a certain psi, OR if the water temp gets above a certain temp. In this case the water temp got past 230 due to the waterpump quitting on me. So the heads did get a little hot and like a couple days later is when I started getting a leaky cooling system caused by TOO MUCH PRESSURE in the system caused by a blown gasket. If anyone cares they can read the thread HERE
Old 05-15-2006, 05:29 PM
West South Central Moderator / Special Guest

I have had good luck with cometics, even with out the "special resurfacing". As long as the surface is on the "smooth side" of things.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:34 PM

Do the titan’s require o-ringing or can they just be dropped in place of normal gaskets?

Reading your other thread I don’t see why you’re saying that the other stuff won’t cut it, in your thread you clearly said that you ran it with a dead water pump and overheated it and then ended up with the headgasket leak. That being the case
- it wasn’t the spray or “power” that pushed the gasket but the overheating
- WRT to machining, as messed up as it sounds from that thread I would be shocked if at least the head didn’t need to be decked flat again, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the block deck surface is somewhat out at this point now also. Last engine that I saw overheat and end up with that bad a failure, where you instantly had a gyser shooting out the radiator melted one of the chambers to the point that the head was unusable and the deck on that side was off .021” on that side.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by WS6 TA
Do the titan’s require o-ringing or can they just be dropped in place of normal gaskets?

Reading your other thread I don’t see why you’re saying that the other stuff won’t cut it, in your thread you clearly said that you ran it with a dead water pump and overheated it and then ended up with the headgasket leak. That being the case
- it wasn’t the spray or “power” that pushed the gasket but the overheating
- WRT to machining, as messed up as it sounds from that thread I would be shocked if at least the head didn’t need to be decked flat again, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the block deck surface is somewhat out at this point now also. Last engine that I saw overheat and end up with that bad a failure, where you instantly had a gyser shooting out the radiator melted one of the chambers to the point that the head was unusable and the deck on that side was off .021” on that side.

dude the car didnt overheat. You said you read the other thread well you would have read that I have my car wired to kill the engine if the oil pressure gets too low below a set PSI, or if the water temp gets ABOVE a set TEMP. the set temp in my case is like 240*f

But yea I don't see why the 1074 felpros won't work again at this point. Heads are coming off tomorrow and I am going to have them surfaced and throw some new 1074's in there.. Ill be sure to post pics of the old gaskets when I get them out
Old 05-16-2006, 04:03 AM

Titans don't need o-rings.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:47 AM

The plain old titans, the ICS titans or both?

I can't seem to find a listing of what is available in both of those, i need a thin gasket and they might be just the deal for the application
Old 05-16-2006, 10:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MachinistOne
Titans don't need o-rings.
Are you saying they are like the Felpro 1157 or1074 for the Ford that have the captured "O" ring?
Old 05-16-2006, 07:55 PM

The SCE Titan ICS has a captured steel O-ring.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:57 PM

http://www.scegaskets.com/products/ics.html
Old 05-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MachinistOne

Never seen these before but good to know about.
Thanks

Quick Reply: ICS Titan Head gaskets by SCE???