Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

How to tell the stroke of your crank shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 03:24 PM

Re: How to tell the stroke of your crank shaft?

Originally Posted by JohnnyPappis
I understarstand that and im going to have an engine builder put it together but what good would it do if i dont do research and learn for myself what goes into this im honestly not dumb enough to think i can just slap this in there i just want to learn as much as can and make sure im getting the most i can out of this im enjoying the whole experience i am well aware of the amount of work that has to go into this i just weant educate myself....i see no harm in that
Of course not. I'd just hate to see you end up frustrated, broke and without a running engine. That's a very real possibility.

No offense intended, but you might check with your engine builder as to what stuff he recommends. Some rods don't fit very well with a 3.875 stroke. Some engines builders would rather assemble parts they helped pick out than use the parts you chose. Some others will not work with your parts at all.

If you've hung out here a while you have noticed that 396s are a lot more trouble (and $) to build than 383s for the 3.4% extra displacement.

End of friendly, non-solicited advice.

Have fun!
Old 02-20-2006, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by OldSStroker
Of course not. I'd just hate to see you end up frustrated, broke and without a running engine. That's a very real possibility.

No offense intended, but you might check with your engine builder as to what stuff he recommends. Some rods don't fit very well with a 3.875 stroke. Some engines builders would rather assemble parts they helped pick out than use the parts you chose. Some others will not work with your parts at all.

If you've hung out here a while you have noticed that 396s are a lot more trouble (and $) to build than 383s for the 3.4% extra displacement.

End of friendly, non-solicited advice.

Have fun!

Thanks but i have no choice now ill get it working i had to watch my grandfather die this morning and he my biggest supporter of this project he had helped me many times and was like my best freind he wanted to see this build finished and thats what i have to do now from this day foward the build is deticated to him.....i donbt care what it takes i will finish it thank you for your advice as well i appricate it
Old 02-20-2006, 06:45 AM

Thanks but i have no choice now ill get it working i had to watch my grandfather die this morning and he my biggest supporter of this project he had helped me many times and was like my best freind he wanted to see this build finished and thats what i have to do now from this day foward the build is deticated to him.....i donbt care what it takes i will finish it thank you for your advice as well i appricate it
You have my sympathy for the loss of your grandfather. When you get back on the engine, try to find an engine builder who has built a 396. That will help a lot with all the little difficulties that pop up during a stroker build.

Good luck.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:15 PM

You have my sympathy for the loss of your grandfather. When you get back on the engine, try to find an engine builder who has built a 396. That will help a lot with all the little difficulties that pop up during a stroker build.

Good luck.

Thanks i needed that now to find a good engine builder im gussing that crank can only take 5.850 rods.....i guess the enigne builder will hafta help me there because other then the sportmans from manly but there too weak for what i want to do i cant find any unless people know otherwise

Last edited by JohnnyPappis; 02-20-2006 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:52 PM

Good luck.

Hey where in ny do you live? i live in clinton corners not too far from poughkeepsie
Old 02-21-2006, 05:51 PM

Hey where in ny do you live? i live in clinton corners not too far from poughkeepsie
We live Upstate, the real NY.

We're near Elmira, about 25 miles south of Watkins Glen race track.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:34 PM

Location: Albuquerque,NM--5,600 feet above you sea-level cats

I ran 6" oliver bilett rods on my last combo. I'm not sure of your question on your last post. You do have options though. Good luck.

Neal