CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Advanced Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/advanced-tech-38/)
-   -   Expected valve train life at higher RPM's (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/advanced-tech-38/expected-valve-train-life-higher-rpms-551273/)

airflowdevelop 10-31-2007 03:42 PM

The all-pro head is designed for exactly opposite of what you are trying to do. What in the world possessed all of the people you talked to to think it was the best...has me lost!

Trying to reach a goal with proper planning, parts selection, and skill will almost always meet or exceed a project's goals.

On the other hand...Taking the "So easy a Cave Man can do it" attitude...buying a bunch of parts that people think will work...followed by twisting Mother Natures nipples in hopes somehow it will defy the laws of physics...Good luck!

Also...it takes no where near 700FWHP to go 10.50's. There is much more to that timeslip than HP.

Dennis

95ttoplt1 10-31-2007 03:54 PM

What were these heads designed for??

I guess I'm a nipple twister:lol: Oh well, live and learn, i bet it will be fun anyway.

airflowdevelop 10-31-2007 04:03 PM

Orginally they were designed to go in circles on asphalt.

But now they are mostly designed to go in circles on dirt.

The heads can be made to work...you would be financially much better to sell the heads and intake though...

OldSStroker 10-31-2007 04:17 PM

You keep asking for opinions. Here's mine.

700 fwhp NA on pump gas is doable with a 370 LT1 @~7500 power peak. That's 200 psi BMEP. I don't think it will happen with the parts you have chosen, however. The engine designer/builder needs to be REALLY good.

It will be critical who does the heads and intake porting. You have already passed up a poster on this thread who I think could do heads and intake (of his choice) for this kind of engine. Too bad. (No, Bret doesn't do heads. :) )

There is no way $7500 will do it. Multiply by 2 or even 3.

Revise you goals down at least 100+ hp and your budget up a bunch and you might get there.

I don't think you really want advice, especially good advice, but rather you want agreement with your choices. Sorry, not here.

It's your money, so pour it where you wish. Make sure your engine builder sees this thread.

Barum was an optimist.

My $.02

FASTFATBOY 10-31-2007 05:11 PM

You say the 370 inch LT1 is "proven", by who? The only one I know of who "proved" a 370 inch LT1 was Steve Quinn. He by no stretch had a STREET car OR engine. Not to mention that combination was tweaked to within an inch of it's life on race fuel, spun to 8500 rpm and ran consistent low 10's in a LIGHT car.

Why go against the grain? EVeryone knows more cubes makes the same power at lower rpm levels with less cam and maintenance, THAT is proven.

But like OldSStroker said, your money. Few of us have the dough to do engine development, I know I dont he he.

David

SStrokerAce 10-31-2007 05:30 PM

David,

Maybe Steve's setup is what he is trying to copy?

Bret

AdioSS 10-31-2007 05:37 PM

it kinda sounds like it...

MEAN LT1 10-31-2007 05:54 PM

Whats the old saying "rpm's kill motors not horsepower":)

95ttoplt1 10-31-2007 07:32 PM

Trying to copy, not exacley I own the Intake,Crank and rods out of that motor ;)

So basically I'm trying to get close to that, but different heads(his were ported stock castings) and pump gas.

FASTFATBOY 10-31-2007 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by 95ttoplt1 (Post 4962153)
Trying to copy, not exacley I own the Intake,Crank and rods out of that motor ;)

So basically I'm trying to get close to that, but different heads(his were ported stock castings) and pump gas.

You are making it hard, leave the heads at 64 cc and put 12 lbs of boost on it. DONE!

Man with that engine you gonna need some 5.30 gears, a 5000 converter. Or just gut the car, that will help ALOT. But kinda sucks driving a gutted car on the street.
To go those RPM's you want to go you gonna need some HIGH dollar valvetrain, and it will still be high maintenance if you run it hard. Better get some spring oilers, and idle the car up so oil pressure is 30+ psi at idle so it will live in traffic. An oil cooler will also help it live.

I personally would cam it so it wont have to go up there, Bret can handle that, he did for me.

David

95ttoplt1 10-31-2007 08:13 PM

I don't want a blower motor. I know that would be easier just not what I wanted to do.

The big convertor and gears are a must. Maybe my version of "street driven" differs from others.

rskrause 10-31-2007 08:35 PM

Yeah, we ARE all a little nuts ;)

Here's something to consider. The Reher-Morrison "Super Series" 412 is a SBC sportsman race motor. This is a dyno graph.

http://www.rehermorrison.com/images/.../412-Graph.jpg

At 675hp, it's close to what you want in terms of power and that is at only 6,800 rpm. BUT this motor has 11% more displacement and a 14:1 CR. So, I think getting a pump gas 370 to make as much power is not going to be easy. What it will take is PHENOMENAL heads. Something like the SB2.2 conversion that "Nitro Dave" did. There are guys posting here who know more than me, but I am skeptical that it can be done with a 23 degree head with a pump fuel friendly CR and 370 cubes.

Rich

FASTFATBOY 10-31-2007 08:41 PM

Steve Quinns engine made(by his estimate) 625 HP on race fuel.

Sooooooooo..........

RS, I am sketpical it can be done with a 396 on pumpgas witha 23* head, STILL hard. 700 FWHP is a tall order for a smallblock on pumpgas with 23* heads and a liveable rpm.

Nitro Dave made 720 FWHP....right? Or am I wrong.

David

95ttoplt1 10-31-2007 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY (Post 4962284)
Steve Quinns engine made(by his estimate) 625 HP on race fuel.

Sooooooooo..........

RS, I am sketpical it can be done with a 396 on pumpgas witha 23* head, STILL hard. 700 FWHP is a tall order for a smallblock on pumpgas with 23* heads and a liveable rpm.

Nitro Dave made 720 FWHP....right? Or am I wrong.

David

675hp potatoe, poTAtoe, Also ported stock castings

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399355

Originally Posted by rskrause (Post 4962263)
Yeah, we ARE all a little nuts ;)

Here's something to consider. The Reher-Morrison "Super Series" 412 is a SBC sportsman race motor. This is a dyno graph.

At 675hp, it's close to what you want in terms of power and that is at only 6,800 rpm. BUT this motor has 11% more displacement and a 14:1 CR. So, I think getting a pump gas 370 to make as much power is not going to be easy. What it will take is PHENOMENAL heads. Something like the SB2.2 conversion that "Nitro Dave" did. There are guys posting here who know more than me, but I am skeptical that it can be done with a 23 degree head with a pump fuel friendly CR and 370 cubes.

Rich

If I could only get 412 cubes in an LT1 :(

I guess we will see what I get, I'll be sure to post the results either way. Hopefully it will be together by next christmas, as I will still be in Iraq till next October.

airflowdevelop 11-02-2007 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by 95ttoplt1 (Post 4962329)
If I could only get 412 cubes in an LT1 :(

Been there...done that ...got the Tee shirt. You don't need it for your power level though. Keep your eye on the goal!