Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Did I make a $4500 mistake? OPTI vs ????

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 11:59 AM

Did I make a $4500 mistake? OPTI vs ????

Note: I posted something like this in a response but I need visibility to get this resolved.

Note: this is a all out race car, non streetable, loud and wild. It is estimated it will run 10.4's with a good computer.

I am about to sell my FAST XFI system and start all over with carb, intake, distributor. I have been working since Feb on and off trying to get my race car running.

I installed the FAST system and the car ran like crap. (oh the MSD pick up on the crank dampener is not made for an LT1 but for the older 327/350). It just so happens that the Rotor in the Opti is trashed and even though I get spark to the coil the the opti will not distribute the spark so it must be trashed. I have run this race car to 8,000 on more than one occasion with the dumb 1993 factory computer with modified chip. Problem is that the spark fuel tables end about 7,000 to 7200 rpms and nothing can be done to fix that except aftermarket computer system, hense the FAST computer was purchased.

One alternative to the opti is Cam position sensor $379 and xmi box, xmi wiring, eight coils, brackets, and more wiring and cables. SO now were taking about $2,000 more.

Note: Comp Cams refered me to the XMI Cam Position sensor distributor.

Note: MSD told me that the front mounted distributor was probably not as good as the crab style distributor and that opens up a lot of machining work on the current intake.

QUESTION: Does anyone know of an OPTI made by anyone that can withstand 8,000 rpm runs and 5,000 rpm lauches. Since I run Pro Stock a few 100's of a second can make me or break me. This would get me out at a reasonable cost.

QUESTION: Is there an alternate to the Opti that I have not found yet?

Thanks
Jim
Old 10-20-2008, 08:16 PM

I run the FAST XFI in my car and use a Delteq ignition. That way the OPTI is used for signal only. I removed the rotor from the OPTI so there is not as much force being applied to the internals of the OPTI. So far so good, but I don't take my car to 8000RPM either. I can run in Sequential or Batch mode. So far I think I've been the only one to successfully run the two together, unless someone else has done it since me. If I ever change it will be to the COP setup you referred to. You could always convert to a top mount dist. and use a FAST EFI dist. to drive the spark. Downside to that is you have to lower the motor to get the dist. in/out. The XFI and dist. are made to work with each other so setup should be easy. Good luck, Rob.

Last edited by ramermanz28; 10-20-2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:00 PM

Thanks

Thanks Rob,
Delteq ignition is not responding to emails and when I called the mail box was full so I could not leave a message.
I will try again later.

No responses as to anyone else doing this or a better solution. So far this is the least expensive. I suppose the opti would last forever as most tech people have reported. The weak link is the rotor and cap and the cap configuration allowing the wires to be on the same side as the plugs that the computer is firing.

Jim
Old 10-22-2008, 01:27 PM

have you considered a coil on cylinder setup like the lsx's?
Old 10-22-2008, 10:17 PM

I'm not sure if Delteq is in business anymore. I've been hearing for a while now that people have been unable to get ahold of them. That would be a shame because it's a great system in my opinion. I guess if this one ever craps the bed I'm SOL. Coil on plug would be my next route in the future. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:50 PM

you can use the stock opti with an LTCC setup and run the fast. that is what i have done with my car and it works perfectly. coild per cylinder and zero problems or regrets....

here is my number if you have any questions 702-335-5523

Steve

Link for LTCC