Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

cheap TIG welder?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 09:38 PM

cheap TIG welder?

What kind of TIG welder would I need for fabbing stainless steel turbo manifolds?

My uncle used to do heavy welding back in the day, and I think I can get him to show me how to do some cool stuff

The #1 question......

Where can I get such a welder for cheap?

Thanks
Old 03-22-2004, 11:45 PM

*shrug* TIG welders arent cheap. You can buy a TIG torch and adapt it to a power supply or a MIG welder, but its no where near the capabilities of a true TIG machine
Old 03-23-2004, 03:36 PM

You might find this thread interesting!

http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/...&threadid=8872

Bill
Old 03-23-2004, 11:07 PM

the most i can probably spend (or want to spend) on a TIG is $800

is there one out there for that price or under?

the only ones I have seen are expensive as hell, the cheapest being $900
Old 03-23-2004, 11:21 PM

Dude, did you see the link SMOKNZ posted? It's all about the cheapness (is that even a word?).

In total agreeance,

Rob
Old 03-24-2004, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by SMOKNZ
You might find this thread interesting!

http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/...&threadid=8872

Bill
Wow that is some crazy engineering.

I know TIG welders aren't cheap, so I just use the one at school - its a water cooled Lincoln Electric.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:24 PM

i really wnt a real one, nice and new.
I was hoping I could get away with spending $800 for one bust I guess Ill have to up it a bit.

thanks anyways, I might get bored one day and do that home made one up there.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:43 PM

Im going to say I doubt it, but you might be able to get a little guy for 1000. Im about to buy the lincoln precision tig 185 as soon as somebody gets one in (brand new model). That one runs $1800~, thats the package with torch and everything.

More than most anyone could ever need, unless doing very heavy aluminum fabrication (thicker than 1/2")

If you want a sweetass tig, check out lincon and millers invertors. They require very little power, but are 200+amp machines, and they are only 50lbs, of course they are almost $3g without accessories
Old 03-26-2004, 09:15 PM

You could always get a Hobart Stickmate LX AC/DC welder from Harbor Freight for around $400 and buy a conversion kit from these guys http://www.tigdepot.com/products/p35TD-BBTF.htm for around $250. That's under you $800 budget.

Im about to buy the lincoln precision tig 185 as soon as somebody gets one in (brand new model). That one runs $1800~, thats the package with torch and everything.

Actually Tig Depot has that setup for around $1600
Old 03-26-2004, 09:36 PM

I just bought the same model, Lincoln Precision TIG 185 (still waiting for it to get in) for $1375 at our local Airtech welding store. It comes without the cart so I'll have to build one (thats why it was so cheap) Looks like a nice unit!

Last edited by SMOKNZ; 03-26-2004 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by SMOKNZ
I just bought the same model, Lincoln Precision TIG 185 (still waiting for it to get in) for $1375 at our local Airtech welding store. It comes without the cart so I'll have to build one (thats why it was so cheap) Looks like a nice unit!
Let me know when you get that in, Im waiting for someplace around here to get a model in so I can try it out, Im used to our $4000-$5000 squarwave 350s and such as school and want to make sure this will make me happy enough.

Also, I was just quoting Lincolns price, you can find it for different prices if you shop, Ive found it for low 1500s around here w/o cart, still a really good deal IMO
Old 03-27-2004, 05:40 AM

You get what you pay for.
I just ordered a new miller plasma cutter that can hack through 7/8'' steel. Not cheap, but I know it will do what I need.
I'll be looking for a new TIG when I go state side and I plan to pay more than I did for the plasma cutter.
You can try to get a used one from ebay or a rebuilt 1 on if you have a little more $$$.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:59 AM

At work we have a Lincoln square wave 175. It welds anythin we can throw at it including Aluminum in any thickness that one would ever use on a car or home project. Since the 185 is a step up I can only imagine that it will be as good or better. As for miller, I have used both machines and really don't have a preference. The only reason I didn't go with the miller TIG was the Lincoln came with a pulser for free. This feature would be really nice for welding up intercoolers near the fins. Debating over miller and Lincoln is like debating Ford vs. Chevy. Both can be effective in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:24 PM

www.weldingmart.com often has specials on welders. I bought my Lincoln SP-135T from them, and at that time, it came with a free cart for $429 or something like that. I believe they had free shipping on Lincoln welders at that time too. They have the Miller EconoTig for $1,330 right now, although I know that's more than you wanted to spend.

Keep in mind that just buying the welder doesn't always get you everything you need. You'll still need a good welding mask, and a bottle filled with whatever mix is recommended for stainless. A 40-lb. bottle of "steel mix" (25% argon/75% CO2) cost me another $120 or so, IIRC. I bought the bottle, though, instead of "renting". A good auto-darkening mask will add at least another $80-90, even if you get one on sale. I got a Jackson "Master" variable for $139 from somewhere else (sorry, it's been awhile). weldingmart wants $208 for the same helmet. Also, the cheaper TIG welders usually don't come with the torch... they're just stick welders out of the box.

One option is to just get a good MIG welder and tack your parts together yourself, then take them to someone to finish off with a TIG. It's more hassle, but cheaper in the long run probably, especially if you're not a great welder already. I bought the SP-135T because A) I was limitd to 110V in my garage without some rewiring, and B) because I'm not a good welder, and all I needed to do was be able to fabricate welding jigs and tack things together for my fabricator, who is an artist with a TIG.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
Old 03-27-2004, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by jimlab
[url]

One option is to just get a good MIG welder and tack your parts together yourself, then take them to someone to finish off with a TIG. It's more hassle, but cheaper in the long run probably, especially if you're not a great welder already. I bought the SP-135T because A) I was limitd to 110V in my garage without some rewiring, and B) because I'm not a good welder, and all I needed to do was be able to fabricate welding jigs and tack things together for my fabricator, who is an artist with a TIG.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
Excellent suggestion! That's what we do, BTW.

Quick Reply: cheap TIG welder?