Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Aftermarket oil pump drive assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 09:05 AM

Question Aftermarket oil pump drive assembly?

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...128#post334128

Later
Chuck
Old 11-15-2002, 09:29 AM

Milodon and quite a few others make em
http://www.milodon.net/

-Mindgame
Old 11-15-2002, 09:34 AM

I'm not talking about the driveshaft rod... I'm talking about the assembly driven off the cam that drives the driveshaft rod like a distributor would in an old gen.. Does that make sense? A person will only know what I'm talking about if they've had an LT1 apart before. Otherwise it probably won't make much sense.....

Thanks
Chuck
Old 11-15-2002, 09:48 AM

Oh, my bad... that's what you get for not reading a post carefully.
I'd bet someone around here knows though so just be patient.
Best of luck.

-Mindgame
Old 11-15-2002, 05:07 PM

Edit: Sorry, made the same mistake. Thought you were asking about the driveshaft itself, but I believe I answered your question inadvertantly.

No, no one makes a replacement for the drive gear and tab which bolt in the lifter valley to my knowledge.

I am running a complete distributor shaft "stub" which bolts to a normal distributor mounting pad at the back of the engine added by Hogan's. It (obviously) eliminates the plastic tab and cam drive gear bolted into the lifter valley. You can see it in the picture below, in the highlighted area.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jimlab/pi...nebackside.jpg

It was intended to make pulling the oil pump drive shaft and replacing it with a cam synch stub possible without having to pull the intake, but we ended up going with a modified front cover instead.

Last edited by jimlab; 11-15-2002 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-15-2002, 05:22 PM

Yeah, we've already replaced the plastic coupling and driveshaft. What I want is a sturdier pump drive assembly thing... I wish I knew what it was called, but it's an LT1 only piece. It's a plastic housing with a couple bearings and shaft with a gear at the bottom...The gear is spun by the cam, which from there connects to the driveshaft to drive the oil pump. If that plastic housing ever broke on someone (high volume/pressure pump, thicker oil, etc) they'd loose oil pressure instantly and blow their motor. In my case that would be almost 15k dollars down the drain. So I hope it's understandable why I don't want to be trusting any cheap plastic housings on my oil system. If nobody makes anything we are going to be modifying an old distributor to mount in there and take the plastic assembly's place.

Thanks
Chuck
Old 11-15-2002, 05:25 PM

Ahh, that's much better But, I'd like to have something that just replaces the plastic piece and is hidden under the intake since I'm still running an LT4 type intake.... Like I said, we might just have to make something ourselves...

Thanks
Chuck
Old 11-15-2002, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by chucks97ss
In my case that would be almost 15k dollars down the drain. So I hope it's understandable why I don't want to be trusting any cheap plastic housings on my oil system.
I understand all too well...
Old 11-15-2002, 07:58 PM

I'm sure you could fab somthing out of a aluminum dist. Cut it down, tig a tab on it. I don't see the oil pump loading that plastic body that much. Never heard of a failure, but understand your concern. You could use a oil pressure, engine kill switch. Had one in my race car for years.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:32 PM

Dont say its never failed My buddy was gettin 0 oil pressure and it turned out the gear was free spinning somehow it had stripped itself or something..I thought his oil pump shaft had twisted or something and it ended up being that shaft on the top of the intake..
BTW~ The plastic on my stock one had a crack in it so I ordered a new one from GM and this one did the same..Just a small crack from when you torque it down..I use loctite so Im not worried..

Cody
Old 11-16-2002, 09:42 PM

Careful using Locktite around some thermoplastics. It can cause crazing and destroy the part. It might be OK on a nylon filled part, though. Always best to test it first. I remember contemplating this during my cam swap - but I honestly can't remember what I ended up doing. Also it seemed to me that plastic part had a crack in it (as was previously mentioned) if I remember correctly. No probs so far, so I guess it's going to hang together. I already have a certain amount of gauge paranoia anyway.
Old 11-16-2002, 10:01 PM

Location: I reached back like a pimp and smacked that LS1....
I just made a metal bracket with a hole in it that bolts on over the top of the drive.