3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Winter's over soon, I need plans!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 07:15 PM

Winter's over soon, I need plans!

After buying a bare 2 Bolt 355 I was told by my "mentor" (I'm 17 and a student, he's 33 and an engineer I work for) that I could have a 1967' 350 HO he has just sitting in his garage (complete engine, carb and all). So I just got a complete engine for free. All I have to do it rebuild it and he's going to help me put it in during the summer.

With that said, alot of the money I had planned on using to build a 350 from a ground up just got freed up. (He would rather give it to me for free then have it sit in his garage doing nothing.) All I have to pay for is the cost of the rebuild (gaskets etc) It's a good engine, it was taken out and replaced with a 600HP Turbo LT1 not because it was bad, it does need a rebuild and a valve job but that's not a big deal.

I'm "guesstimating" I need 1000$ worth of body repair. I figure 500$ for my front bumper/gfx, 100$ to replace my driver side fender and another 100$ to fix my headlight support (all because a Concorde drove through my front end) Add another 200$ to replace/fix my driver side door. I figure if I get the car painted and have the body fixed at the same time it'll save me money if the same place does both at once. So I'm figureing I'm gonna pay a little over 1000$ to get the body fixed (my cars black, so painting a car with dings on the doors won't go well) and another 2k for a decent paint job.

Is that a reasonable assumption for cost? I KNOW I have a fast(to me at least, some of you probably think 400 is nothing) engine to put in, so I can divert my money to making my car look good. Am I thinking too optimistically? I'm not going to paint/fix the body if I can't afford to do it all at once and right. And as long as it's fast I can live w/o a perfect looking car a while longer.

I mean, are there any things I can do to lower the cost of the body work? I just want the damaged parts fixed/replaced, the car to be sanded down correctly, and painted/clearcoated so it will look good and last w/o "alot" of visible imperfections. I don't want the car taken apart, a simple but GOOD sand/prime/paint/clearcoat job.

Has anyone here had this kind of thing done to their 3rd gen? This "might" belong in apperance but I wanted opinions on how to go about the body work and if I could do any of it myself.

Thnx,
Dave