3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

What should I do ???????

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 11:24 AM

What should I do ???????

Hi I just bought a 1988 305 TBI 5 speed manual IROC. I have already had to change the fuel pump. That did not fix the problem it still idle real fuuny. Like it idles at about 15 then it drops down to 10 then 6 then it cuts off and it won't start for like 20 or 30 min. What is normal idle? Where should the oil guage be at normal operating temp. What is normal operating temp. The car smoke on start up and it is leaking oil from the bottom somewhere. I am thinking about get a the engine rebuilt or overhauled. A friend of mine said that I should wait get a few preformance part have them put in while the motor is out because it would not make sence to open the motor change the seals and gasket he said it would be just as much to have them put in the parts while the motor was open. Remember this car is a daily driver and I am not really in to performance as much as I really want a car that will start all the time and want stop halfway to where i am tryin to go
Old 09-21-2004, 01:15 PM

Re: What should I do ???????

Idles at 15??? I assume you mean 1500rpm then drops to 1000rpm then drops to 600rpm? Normal idle should be around 1000k. but you can change that by advancing the distributor.. Did you change the fuel filter? with the air filter off, does the spray pattern look good? no dripping or gushing, just a really fine spray and then at WOT a really big spray? Can you keep it running with ether? Does it have Cats? Does the exahsut flow freely? If have cats after it runs for awhile do the cats start glowing? Oil pressure varies upon mileage of motor.. 100k oil pressure should be under your half way mark 30psi.. when rpms increase so should the oil pressure but top out around 60psi.. Coolant should be between 180 and just under 210..? Alot of camaro's smoke at start up it's the valve seals.. If you can just get a 350 motor and have it rebuilt.. cores are easy to find, cheap, and the price of rebuilding is the same.. get like a 88 fullsize pickup 350 TBI motor.. then you will have a cam and if you can pulll the chip out of the computer too.. I don't think there is a difference between the 305 and 350 intakes and TBI's Holley makes a larger TB intake and larger TB.. Keep us informed on the progress. I had a 88 full size pickup with a 350 and TBI.. Still have the intake and the TB..
Old 09-23-2004, 09:39 AM

Re: What should I do ???????

Thanks I will try this stuff this weekend