3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

what kind of tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 04:21 PM

what kind of tranny?

I'm currently designing an engine to put in my camaro for street/strip use. it'll be my daily driver. After it's all said and done, i'm lookin at about 450hp @ 6000 rpms. my question is, what kind of tranny could i use that would allow that high of a rev and be a good compromise of gearing to help me on the track while still giving at least fair gas mileage?
the 700-R4 i've found has just way too low of a first gear. i'd have a great launch, assuming i could even keep traction, but after that the rpm drop between gears is just out of control.
anyone have any suggestions?
Old 02-04-2004, 06:29 PM

depends what kinda gas mileage u want...if it doesnt matter id say a turbo 350. but if u go that route u lose the overdrive as well as gas mileage. the 700-R4 is about the only choice u have unless u go to a 4L60-E. im sure u could always change the gears themselves inside to a different ratio if ur really into making it go fast on the track more than the street. other than that,id just say use a 700,buy a good shift kit and rebuild kit,aftermarket servo,good set of shift bands,stall converter,and roll on
Old 02-04-2004, 06:38 PM

T-56
Old 02-04-2004, 06:56 PM

the 700 is a real good trans. if you beef it up a little
Old 02-04-2004, 07:00 PM

Several companies offer built up 2004Rs that will handle the power, have an overdrive, and I think they have more traditional gearing. Check up on one of them...
Old 02-04-2004, 07:26 PM

Re: what kind of tranny?

Originally posted by CamaroStylin
what kind of tranny could i use that would allow that high of a rev and be a good compromise of gearing to help me on the track while still giving at least fair gas mileage?
I'm with Ville. T56. It'll handle that power stock, no internal mods. And great mileage. You can't go wrong.

Oh, plus they're really fun to drive
Old 02-04-2004, 07:40 PM

if i was getting car for racing i wouldn't get a t-56...

if i was getting it for fun, i would definately get the t-56
Old 02-04-2004, 08:47 PM
Banned

Re: what kind of tranny?

I'm currently designing an engine to put in my camaro for street/strip use. it'll be my daily driver. After it's all said and done, i'm lookin at about 450hp @ 6000 rpms. my question is, what kind of tranny could i use that would allow that high of a rev and be a good compromise of gearing to help me on the track while still giving at least fair gas mileage?
the 700-R4 i've found has just way too low of a first gear. i'd have a great launch, assuming i could even keep traction, but after that the rpm drop between gears is just out of control.
anyone have any suggestions?
4L80E with Jet Performance computer to control it. That or lose overdrive.

I had a fresh rebuilt GM 700R4 behind an LPE 383 and babyed it. Lasted 6 months. Had Rossler Trans (Used for LPE cars) build the 700R4 and it lasted 3.5 years with me beating on it several times daily and all year round even in winter.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by ianfromMA
if i was getting car for racing i wouldn't get a t-56...
Drag racing I assume. Well I'm all about the twisties so she's perfect for me

Still great for straight line I think, just with the right gears. Find a 4.10 M6 car...challenge him at a light
Old 02-04-2004, 09:02 PM

what mods would be needed to turn a car with the TPI computer from auto to stick? I know the 700-R4 has some sort of computer sensor cause when we pulled it from my car there was one harness that had 4 plugs on it.
I'd like to keep it auto just because of the extra cost involved in swapping tranny types
sorry i didnt say anything before, but i DO need an overdrive tranny
Old 02-04-2004, 09:11 PM

Not hard at all. Just simple things like pedals, console, etc. Along with the T56 parts (crossmember, tranny, etc). Computer shouldn't be a problem, 700R4's are not CC. Don't let it intimitate you, really nothing to it. Or nothing that I see, I swapped manual to manaul. Good luck

-Corey
Old 02-04-2004, 09:46 PM

what mods would be needed to turn a car with the TPI computer from auto to stick? I know the 700-R4 has some sort of computer sensor cause when we pulled it from my car there was one harness that had 4 plugs on it.
I'd like to keep it auto just because of the extra cost involved in swapping tranny types
sorry i didnt say anything before, but i DO need an overdrive tranny
the only thing electricle in the 700-R4 is the torque convertor lock-up i believe.

i would go w/ the T-56 if i was u,yea its fun and u have like 2 overdrives...but driving a stick fast is hard to do and can/prob will break more parts than an auto. just my thoughts
Old 02-04-2004, 11:32 PM
Banned

It will if you drop the clutch at 5000 RPM. The auto uses a lockup torque converter which is the electrical harness you see going into the tranny.

Nothing is more consistant than a built auto at the strip. Not that I have seen yet. Wonder why many bracket racers and what not are going auto?
Old 02-04-2004, 11:34 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Rippin92RS
Still great for straight line I think, just with the right gears. Find a 4.10 M6 car...challenge him at a light
Gears don't make you consistant. I can dial in and run the same numbers time after time with a 4.10 A4 car. Something a 4.10 M6 car driver cannot say.

OTOH, if you are talking about a tight auto-X, you cannot do better than the M5 or M6
Old 02-05-2004, 06:28 PM

a T56 would be nice...

so if the converter is what seems to justify the plugs on the tranny, what's at the other end? it HAS to be the computer

to put a T56 in a third gen what do i have to do? Im SURE i'd have to change something over with the speedometer. the T56 uses an electronic sensor doesnt it?

would the standard T56 crossmember fit into a third gen or do they make special ones?

what about size differences? do i have to modify the body at all or use a different length drive shaft? will the torque arm hook up to the T56 or is that not an option?

anyone know a good place to find one? maybe a guess on price?

what are the gear ratios on that tranny?

thanks for all this help you guys!

Quick Reply: what kind of tranny?