3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

What do u think of my pitman <-- chk out the video

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 11:28 PM

Lightbulb What do u think of my pitman <-- chk out the video

Hi everyone...ok I need a diagnoses over here. I took some video of both my pitman and my idler arm. I think my pitman is def do for a changing...not too sure about the idler arm. As u can see my tires have gotten excessively warn. Part of that has to do with the fact that I drove around without an alignment for awhile after my wheel was bent.

But now the car is fully aligned but still drifts to the left and back to the center when I go about 65.

Check out the video below. To view just save it to your desktop.
http://www.thewaterbughotel.com/che/

2 videos and 2 pics.

I was talking to my dad and he said it might be worth it to just to change the inner and outter tie rods and sleeves and the center link bar as well. Not sure what that is going to run though.

Old 05-20-2004, 01:07 AM

God knows what all got bent up from whatever you hit. If I was you, and had the cash, I'd replace all the front end ball joints, and all steering linkage. Looks like your Idler arm has some play in it from that video. GM claims a 1/4in. play is in spec, so then again, I don't know.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:25 AM

Pneumatic_Tire,

Well I had to lower ball joints replace and those are solid so if I grab the tire from top to bottom it doesn't move. Side to side thats a diff story.

Any ideas on what places to call up? Or should I just go to autozone? jegs or summit? Any brands I should go with? Or is it not even worth it....
Old 05-20-2004, 08:46 AM

I used moog when I replaced my entire front suspension. That is what I whould recommend and will use again.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:49 AM

91RSLT1,

could u tell me what you changed and approximately how much it ran you? Did u do all the work yourself or take it to a shop.

thanks for the feedback!
Old 05-20-2004, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by Castro
91RSLT1,

could u tell me what you changed and approximately how much it ran you? Did u do all the work yourself or take it to a shop.

thanks for the feedback!
New ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, idler arm and new center link (also called drag link). It was right around $450 for all the parts and l did all the work my self, that is all but the alinement after it was done. The auto tire by my house wanted $450, just to change the ball joints! F shops if you can do it yourself do it. In this case you shouldn't have a problem at all, it is very straight forward, don't worry. If you don't know then just grab some tools and dive in. Nothing like learning. Hope that helps.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:00 AM

91RSLT1,

I changed my front suspension once on my first camaro an 84. Back then I didn't know I could go to the auto parts store and rent a pitch fork to aid in the removal of the parts, lol. I remember it was a long long process and the tie rods my neighbor hammered and they popped off...and it was freezing lol...awww camaro memories...

Anyways so I keep hearing moog parts anyone know where there the cheapest to get? I ordered some stuff once from summit and the dummies sent me the wrong parts so I am less likely to give them a try.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:11 AM

heres the moog rebuild kit

http://www.spohn.net/product.cfm?productid=1374....

pretty damn good deal too

id also suggest this at the same time

http://www.spohn.net/product.cfm?productid=1366
Old 05-20-2004, 10:18 AM

MY91Y84 wow perfect! thanks for the link...

Hey do u know if the Polyurethane Bushing Kit comes with instructions? I have never installed one of those kits but if its not to difficult I may do that...I am going to take pics and hopefully build a tutorial for everyone else too
Old 05-20-2004, 10:24 AM

i dunno if it does or not, but im sure it does..

that hardest part will be getting them rubber washers out of there..

ive never done it either, but fromt he looks of it its mostly just lossesn the bolts pull it out and put the new one in there,,
Old 05-20-2004, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by Castro
MY91Y84 wow perfect! thanks for the link...

Hey do u know if the Polyurethane Bushing Kit comes with instructions? I have never installed one of those kits but if its not to difficult I may do that...I am going to take pics and hopefully build a tutorial for everyone else too
No they don't come with instructions, at least mine didn't. Again very easy and straight foward. The only ones that you can't do yourself are the bushings in the A-arms, those will have to be pressed in at a shop. I did the all the stuff afore mentioned and the poly bushing, night and day difference.

Edit: I just looked at the link and it is the total kit. I believe that the rear bushings would also need to be pressed in, pan hard rod, etc. I have the hotckis rear suspesion package so that was not an issuse for me. The trans. mount and torque arm bushing are also easy and can be done yourself.

Last edited by 91RSLT1; 05-20-2004 at 10:40 AM.