3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

V8 Swap into V6 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 06:49 PM

V8 Swap into V6 Camaro

I found a nice Camaro that has an impressive body, and they are selling it for $600CDN, so I should get it for $500CDN($300US?).

I found an IROC Camaro, and it is hammered in the front. Didn't get to check under the hood because I just took a walk around it. I'm sure the engine is fine. Radiator, and front end are probably the only things to fix. I can probably get this for $300-400CDN or less.

Should I the engine or the front ends? I will also take the best interior.

Swapping the front ends seems alot easier.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:58 PM

Re: V8 Swap into V6 Camaro

Originally posted by JasonRox
Should I the engine or the front ends? I will also take the best interior.

Swapping the front ends seems alot easier.
Welcome to the board my man! Now, your question:

Swapping Front Ends: I don't know how the paint is on either car but don't forget if you swap front ends you're gonna have to have it painted/blended (unless you wanna ride around multi color). And if it is a HARD hit, check for frame damage.

Swapping Motors: Pretty straight forward in these cars. But with going from a 6 cyl you'll need mis. parts like springs, etc. A plus to this though is what a better time for upgrading. You could build your motor the way you want it!

Your choice man! Also, what year are the cars?
-Rippin
Old 06-30-2003, 07:04 PM

Thanks!

Like I said, haven't looked much, and I will check the frame for sure.

I know almost nothing about Camaro's. HAHA! I know that I had to change suspension for sure because of the weight and all. Brakes are probably another.

If I have a complete car, the swap should be easier since I have most parts.

I plan on getting it painted either way. The V6 is blue, and the IROC is silver. I should be going black or white.

PS. Can anyone tell me what the stock engines are?
I think it was a 2.8 V6 because a friend of mine had one. I'm not quite sure about the V8's. 305 or 350? I only want to know the 3rd Gens.

EDIT: I believe both cars are late 80's.

Last edited by JasonRox; 06-30-2003 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by JasonRox
I only want to know the 3rd Gens.
That's Right! Third gens rule!

Most Common Engines:
-305 4bbl (LG4)
-305 TBI (L03)
-305 TPI (LB9)
-350 TPI (L98) =

Go here for a list of ALL the engines ever put in a third gen (arranged by year): http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/techdb.shtml

FYI: 350 engines can only be had with automatic trannys (all years)
Old 06-30-2003, 07:15 PM

That's an awesome site.

How to I verify which engine it is? Where can I find the codes?

Usually they are on the firewall, right? If yes, driver or passenger side?
Old 06-30-2003, 07:19 PM

They are either under the console lid or in the truck, that little storage compartment on the driver's side (you'll see what I mean when you pop the hatch). There's a whole list of RPO codes. And you'll never geuss where you can run every single code...ThirdGen.org! That site is so great, a LOT of info.

Last edited by Black6SpdTA; 06-30-2003 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:57 PM

I just visited that site, and I found some good info.

It sounds like if it is a 305, it's a waste of money.

I'd still get the 305 if the 350 will be a direct bolt in. In other words, I can still use all the other stuff that came with the 305 IROC.

I heard the 305 pushes 150 HP, at the wheels. That's sad. I'm better off working on my Neon.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:04 PM

Whatever dude, my 305 has 170 at the wheels!! Ha just messin. But yea 350=direct replacement. Are you gonna go check the cars out tomorrow?
Old 06-30-2003, 09:08 PM

Most likely.

Canada Day tomorrow! I'm Canadian!

I'd probably pick the V6 Camaro because it seems like it's in good condition.

I also found a late 80's, or early 90's Firebird. All in the same area. If it has the 350, I'd probably get that instead.

What's the easiest way to tell? By opening the hood, and look at the engine. Are the intakes different? Manifolds?
Old 06-30-2003, 09:13 PM

That IROC is gonna have a TPI motor, so at the very least you can use the 305 to get the V8 swap worked out, then build a 350 longblock and stick it under the TPI. The only changes you need to make to go from 305 to 350 are injectors, knock sensor, and programming. You might even get ambitious and drive the 305 long enough to build a 383.

I would swap the IROC engine and tranny into the V6 car, work out the bugs, then start modding. The TPI 305 wasn't a bad motor at all....I believe the factory rating was 190hp. Even bone stock it would eat your Neon.

And incidentally.....my name is Jason.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:16 PM

You can't tell the difference between a TPI305 and a TPI350 by looking at them. Check the RPO codes, or look under the hood for the emissions sticker. It'll tell you whether the car came with a 5.0 or 5.7L engine.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:20 PM

Yea, pop the hood and heres what they should look like

TBI
TPI
Carb- Well I'm assuming you know what that looks like.

As far as 305 or 350. You could look at the RPO codes (and hope its the original motor):
LG4/L03/LB9 - 305
L98 - 350

I don't know the rest.
If the car is a V8 and 5-speed, it'll be a 305.
-Rippin
Old 06-30-2003, 09:20 PM

My Neon is slow, but for the money I would spend getting a Camaro done. I can easily turbocharge my Neon, and get few other goodies. After that, it will probably blow away almost all 305's. Sounds dumb, but I know a lot of fast 4 bangers.

There was a clip of a newer Cavalier smoking a newer Camaro SS.
Of course the Cavalier was turbocharged, but you shouldn't underestimate the power of a 4 banger.

EDIT: That clip was on www.j-body.org, you can search for it. That same post a different clip of another Cavalier smoking a 3000GT.

I personally like all motor. That's why I'm looking at V8 Muscle cars. When I first heard a 5.0 Mustang start up, my jaw dropped. Later on I heard a 305 Stingray Corvette, and my jaw dropped even further. I'm not talking about the cars driving by, but them starting up right next to me, and the revving the muscle. I haven't been around too many V8's. LOL.

I won't be driving the Camaro. I'll be driving the Neon until the car is done. No sense dropping a 305 in it if I'll be swapping it later anyways. Should I just get the IROC for the brakes, suspension and etc... I believe the side skirts, and the rear bumper are intact. The front isn't though.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:30 PM

Well even if you don't use the 305 (and keep in mind it could easily be a 350) the IROC will be worth it just for the springs, swaybars, disc rear brakes (if it has them) and TPI setup. I've seen TPI setups sell on eBay for $450 American. Plus you'll need a V8 tranny when you swap engines...you can take the 700-R4 out of the IROC. For the cost you could even part it out and make some cash to pay for mods. You'd also get a VERY good picture of how these cars are put together.....

Anyway it's your money but for that kind of price I'd jump on it.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:32 PM

how much money are you willing to put into the car? That is a main issue because that is a fairly important deciding factor. If you have enough money i would buy any camaro with a perfect frame...completly gut the thing...and then build your car on top of this. issues- if your getting a v6 car you need to re do the wiring harness. If you have to do all of this stuff i would reccomend either buying a better transmission for it or at least getting yours built up, shift kit, etc. And you can do the same thing with the rear end either buy a better one to replace the stocker or build it up a bit to make it stronger. Its all relative to how much work youre willing to do.

btw where are you from?

Quick Reply: V8 Swap into V6 Camaro