3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

turbos and superchargers?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 02:11 PM

turbos and superchargers?????

Hey everyone, I was just watching TV and I saw a commercial for the new GTO's that come stock with 350 horsepower. Watching this commercial made me very upset. I am not goign to let some stock car blow my z28 off the road. So I need a way to increase my horsepower. I have a 1984 z28 with the 305 engine (5.oL) its the L69. I have already put on a new carborator, manifold, headers, and new exhaust. I dont want to lighten my car, cuz its my driving car and i like to have fun and relax while im driving it. So the only thing i can think of is turbos or superchargers. Which brings me to my question. I know how both turbos and superchargers work, but i have no idea which one would be better for my car. Also i have no idea how much they cost, or where i could purchase them from. Any information on this subject as well as websites or places i could buy them from would be greatly appreciaited. Thank you all so much.
-John
Old 10-20-2004, 03:07 PM

Re: turbos and superchargers?????

i would spend the money on a heads and cam 350 (or maybe a stroker motor such as a 383) instead of slappin a blower or turbo on your 305. that way you could even build the motor for forced induction or nitrous.

superchargers (aka blowers) would be the easier and probably cheaper route on your car b/c of the limited engine bay space.

hope this gets u in the right direction
Old 10-20-2004, 03:46 PM

Here,s a twin tubo package from Banks.

http://www.bankspower.com/twin-turbo-system.cfm

http://www.rvpower.com/BraggingRights_turbooldies.cfm

Seen them for around $5800 but haven't looked around much.
Supercharger would be cheaper but turbos are more efficient.

I would love to have one of these setups but I dont think I would spend the money to put one on a 305, I agree with Rice Killer87 about getting 350 or 383 first.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:32 PM

Asking here is a great start but in the mean time, grab some literature on the systems. Check Barnes&Noble and do a search for books with Google or MSN, etc. Goodluck!

Doing things the right way and doing things the cheap way are two routes that you can choose. A Banks or similar kit is nice and fairly priced. Getting it running properly may cost as much as the turbo system itself. A custom made kit using cheaper turbos, homemade exhaust manifolds, not so nice ducting can be equally effective power-wise but then it looks like excrement....

Boosting a 305 properly VS. Buying a "turn-key" crate engine with equal or more power will lean you towards the crate engine. Price vs. Power: The crate engine wins. Not ton get into too much detail but a 400hp crate engine will cost the same or less than a TUNED AND RUNNING professionally built turbo system on a 305 engine. A larger cubic inch crate engine can easily make 400-600hp on pump gas for under $5000-$10,000. Reliability issues, pump gas worthy, driveability, powerband all should be a factor and a crate engine wins hands down. A RamJet 350 from GM Performance Parts will run you $5,000 shipped to your door. Bolt it in your car, plumb up an EFI 40PSI fuel system, get 12 volts to the electrical system and you're running. It's tuned, probably will get 20mpg because of the tiny cam, and can be sprayed with nitrous if you so choose. GM offers more powerful engines both carbed and EFI, check them out.

Personally, I keep eyeing and 434 and 472 cubic inch 600-725hp crate engines from Scott Shafiroff Racing, and also the 427 and 454 engines from Bill Mitchell Hardcore Racing Parts. These are pump gas, well built, reliable, 99% finished, and PROVEN combinations for $9,000-$13,000...If you want this power, you can't go wrong here.

Budget X 2...Advice everyone should live by to ease any headaches cause by both mental strain or banging your head repeatedly on a nearby wall because your weekend project turned into a 10 month ordeal.

Last edited by AutoRoc; 10-20-2004 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:26 PM
Banned

Power also depends on where it makes it at. Also, what is the curve like?

Superchargers are not as efficient because it takes power from the engine. HOWEVER, the SC doesn't need a free flowing exhaust (larger exhaust, less clearence) nor does it have so much plumbing (intercooler).

First thing first. Get your engine rebuilt to a lower compression so you can have a SC or TC. My car made 411 HP at the wheels. I have a modified A4 and 383 SB with a custom cam and AFR 190 heads with the HSR. Start with that and then add the SC or TC