3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Ticking noise comming from SVO's...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 11:52 AM

Ticking noise comming from SVO's...

well, i got my car back finally from getting the engine rebuilt with a ****load of goodies... and one of those were 24# svo's. i had a custom chip burned for me that would work with the svo's, but for some reason, 3 days after i got the car back, i noticed, from inside the car, a ticking noise comming from the engine. i popped the hood and put a stick on the valve covers to feel for any vibrations... didnt feel any. put the stick on the fuel injectors and they're all vibrating at a the same time i hear the ticking, so i guess it would be safe to assume that the injectors are ticking loudly. my question is, is this normal? i heard it while the car was on and i was driving my car. if i give the car gas, the ticking noise gets a little faster, and if i let off on it, the noise seems to lessen, but it's still there. the car is running awesome though... breaking in the car and not being able to hammer the gas made me think the car didnt have anymore power than it had before... but i put it in 2nd and let it rip from around 2k to 4k (*just a one time thing... i was sure she could handle a little abuse as long as i didnt take her over 4k*), and the car is running AWESOME. my friend was in the car when i did this, and he busted out laughing... i was like "what happened?" and he goes "i took a sh*t... take me home so i can change" lmfao. but yeah... back to my reason for the post... the car is running fine as far as i can tell... i just dont know if my injectors are supposed to be ticking that loud. im going to see if i can get some video footage of my car at idle to see if you can hear the ticking noise through the video. thanks for all your help guys

Last edited by dj haf; 06-01-2004 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:10 PM

You shouldnt be able to hear the injectors from inside the car. Have you checked the car for exhaust leaks?
Old 06-01-2004, 12:11 PM

no i havn't... how would i go about checking for exhaust leaks?
Old 06-01-2004, 12:12 PM

I had the same issue with my LS1. I thought it was the lifters so I took it to GM to look @. The didn't know @ first what the noise was coming from cause everything checked out ok. After a month went by I was talking w/ a bud of mine who owns a 03 SVT Cobra & he stated that his did the same thing. When he took it to the Ford house they stated that it was the injectors causing the noise & that it was normal. Take it for what it's with but I never had ANY issues as far as performance with my LS1 & she kept making the tick till she died in a wreck. But to be safe I would get someone to look @ it to be sure & put it in writing that it is suppose to sound that way.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:06 PM

Turn the Radio up until you can't hear the noise.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:08 PM

bah! went under the car to look at my exhaust... noticed that on my y-pipe, on my passenger side, i must have hit something (sewer drain sticking 4 inches out of the road) because it had a big *** dent in the pipe, and a hole out of the side of the dent. i put my hand under it while the car was running, and there's a little leak. i dunno if that's causing my ticking noise, because the ticking noise is comming from the engine bay and not from under the car. =\ time to get true dual now, lol

what do you guys think? x pipe or h pipe?
Old 06-03-2004, 10:33 PM
Banned

3 in SLP or Borla should be more than sufficient for a car like yours unless you are much faster than the car in the sig
Old 06-04-2004, 12:35 AM

aklim, have you gone to my website? i'm not running 14's anymore
Old 06-04-2004, 01:44 AM
Banned

Originally posted by dj haf
aklim, have you gone to my website? i'm not running 14's anymore
I see. I would still think that you would not need more than a 3 in. If you were planning more than what you have, maybe a 4 in but that would be it unless you are doing something really radical like sub 10s.