3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Taller centerbolt valve covers....can you get them?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 11:40 AM

Taller centerbolt valve covers....can you get them?

I need to know if you can get taller centerbolt valve covers to fit the L98?? And if so who makes them? ASAP!
Old 11-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Banned

Why do you want it? I once had TFS perimeter bolt valve covers and when they cracked, I got Edelbrock ones and they were a hair taller. Fit just fine on the driver side but would not work on the pass side. Since I was away from home and needed it to work I broke the AC air box which is over a hundred dollars. So I ask again, why do you want it taller?
Old 11-03-2003, 02:41 PM

I got some bad *** tall's from this company called Rodworx. here is the link.

http://rodworx.com/

I got the Tall SBC valve covers and two matching breathers. They look real sweet. The only thing I had to do to install was to push the transmission dip stick back a little bit while fitting them in. I'm not sure they will fit a L98, but give them a call. They are nice guys.

Nick
Old 11-03-2003, 09:34 PM

I need them aklim because I am doing a true roller rocker swap, not a narrowed roller rocker swap, and I need the clearance.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:43 PM

http://www.uniquealuminumproducts.com/350.htm

I love the covers these guys make but I don't seea "tall" centerbolt. Everything can be made though and I'm sure not for much more money. Goodluck!
Old 11-03-2003, 11:32 PM

Taller Covers

I have Proform Tall center bolt valves covers on my 88' 350, the heads are Fast Burn Vortecs, but should still fit, I love' um they're so easy to take off for cleaning, and or polishing, and you don't have to worry about leaks!!
Old 11-04-2003, 12:25 AM

why not go wtih outer bolt Valve covers
Then go to Summit racing for TFS-31500811
These Trick Flow valve cover adapters allow you to run early-style valve covers with your late-model Chevrolet's centerbolt heads. Plus, the adapters give you the option of running a stud girdle to increase valvetrain stability and improve overall performance. The adapters come with all necessary hardware and gaskets.
They are $100 & you can get talls. I have a set of Chrome Heartbeat of America Outers That I can sell.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:43 AM

I looked into this when I went with roller rockers. GM Goodwrench Pt no. 12497978 (polished aluminium), 12497979 ( black crinkle paint), 12497985, ( chrome finish). All are 1/4 inch taller than stock. Didnt need them in the end because the heads I got had raised decks. Only prob encountered was putting the coil ( remote) back on. Needed spacers to lift it up slightly.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:16 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 95redvert
I need them aklim because I am doing a true roller rocker swap, not a narrowed roller rocker swap, and I need the clearance.
Anyone can enlighten me on what a true roller rocker is? Is it like a Jessel setup or what?
Old 11-04-2003, 07:46 PM

aklim: Some companies make regular roller rockers which require tall valve covers, and different "narrow" roller rockers that will clear the stock valve covers. The narrow style cost more and aren't as durable from what I've read. The Jesel setup is a shaft-mount system IIRC.

Also, I wouldn't recommend the centerbolt-perimeter adapters unless there's no other choice. You have to run 2 sets of valve cover gaskets which makes them that much more likely to leak.

Also, spend the extra on cast aluminum covers instead of chrome or steel. Overtightening a chrome/steel cover can cause the flange to warp and create leaks (not so much with centerbolts, but perimeter covers are BAD about this.) Aluminum covers are less prone to distortion due to thicker flanges.

Cork gaskets seal better than rubber composite, and Mr. Gasket makes extra-thick cork gaskets for a REALLY good seal. In case you didn't know.....
Old 11-05-2003, 03:32 AM

Aklim. You've got r/rockers. What valve covers did you use on yours?.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:35 AM
Banned

I used the perimeter bolt style valve covers (pre 87) because TFS could not tell me if they would clear or not with centerbolt style. As such, I used regular style RR and TFS valve covers.

Now I use the crane narrow body RR which works great with the stock centerbolt valve covers. Brit, Crane Gold Narrow Body RR with OEM covers and bolts.

My understanding is that if you want to use regular RR with centerbolt VC, they might not work because it would clash with the bolt going down the center and the web for the bolt sleeve. LPE would modify the valve covers to make them work with regular RR. Since TFS could not tell me anything, I went with perimeter style which had no problems and were a little taller. I could not get the edelbrock VC to fit on because they were too tall and clashed with the AC box.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:34 AM

My experience is exactly like Aklim. It's not so much the height of the rockers, it's their width- they hit the center supports inside the valve cover that the hold-down screws go through.

What he said about the Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads is also absolutely dead-on with my experience. Haven't tried the Trick Flow 23* heads with centerbolts, though.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:16 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Damon
My experience is exactly like Aklim. It's not so much the height of the rockers, it's their width- they hit the center supports inside the valve cover that the hold-down screws go through.

What he said about the Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads is also absolutely dead-on with my experience. Haven't tried the Trick Flow 23* heads with centerbolts, though.
I wouldn't use those anything else from TFS if they gave it to me for free. Those cheaper heads cost me a SB
Old 11-05-2003, 11:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by TheGreatJ
aklim: Some companies make regular roller rockers which require tall valve covers, and different "narrow" roller rockers that will clear the stock valve covers. The narrow style cost more and aren't as durable from what I've read. The Jesel setup is a shaft-mount system IIRC.
So what you are saying is that he actually wants to use regular roller rockers? I have never heard of it called true roller rockers. I ahve heard of narrow body, regular and Jesel but never refered to as a true roller

Quick Reply: Taller centerbolt valve covers....can you get them?