3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

switch form electric fuel pump to mechanical

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2002, 02:06 AM

Question switch form electric fuel pump to mechanical

1991 RS-

i am building a 383 stroker and i am going ot eliminate the electric fuel pump and go with a mecahnical but was wondering what i would have to do besides dropping the tank and taking out the electric pump?

how would i go about hooking the mecahnial up to my tank and then runnign to my demon 750?
Old 10-05-2002, 02:25 AM

don't get rid of the electric fuel pump.way better than mechanical
Old 10-05-2002, 07:17 AM

A mechanical fuel pump would be bolted onto the side of the engine at the fuel pump mounting flange (pass. side front, down low), not back in the tank. Only the electrics go back by/in the tank. Yes, removing it would require dropping the tank. I don't recommend just unplugging it to deactivate it since the pump itself is a restriction when not running.

Many have contiuned to use their in-tank electric pump to run their carbureted engine if it's still working and in decent shape. Mallory makes a fuel pressure regulator to drop your fuel pressure down to a carb-friendly ~6 PSI. Your electric pump puts out too much pressure for a carb to run without such a regulator, whether it be an original TPI or TBI car.
Old 10-05-2002, 02:32 PM

I've been running my original TBI electric pump with a Holley regulator on a carbed engine for like 4 years now and haven't had a problem with it yet. Not plannin on changing the setup till the pump dies, and then I'll prolly just get a better in-tank pump.

As far as changing over....you'll need to drop the tank and remove the old pump, then replace it with a fuel hose the same length as the pump pickup. You can then run a hose from the original fuel line by the engine to the mech. pump (pass. side of the block toward the front and at the bottom) and from there to the carb. This way you can still run the original type fuel filter as well as hard lines from the tank to the engine bay.
Old 10-05-2002, 11:52 PM

dont do it man. the electric pump is way better. since your car is an RS, its prolly a TBI eng. orig., which means you donteven need the exp. 3 port reg. like I have. you can use a standard reg. to lower the pressure from 13psi (tbi rating) to around 8-9psi. mines at 10 psi and I have no problems w/my car like some will say you'll have if over 7psi. but w/the regulator, you can try diff. press.s. since your car has elec. pump, I think your fuel lines come up the frame on the drivers side, dont they? if so, youd have to add some length to it to get it to reach over to the pass. side to the mech. pump. plus, these pumps are cheap anyways. a replacement stock type is only $30 at an autoparts store. but Id upgrade when the time comes to a walbro intank pump. my car makes around 400-420 HP and this stock pump feeds it no problem. I have put a gauge on the windshield while goin throughthe gears and no fuel press. drop. good luck. chris