3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Supercharger????

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 08:52 PM

Supercharger????

If one was to supercharge a TPI motor in a 88 Z-28 what supercharger would one go with, weither it be a 305 or a 350 with a fresh rebuild?
Old 06-17-2006, 10:23 PM

Re: Supercharger????

hands down a fresh built 350, it would be able to handle the boost better and you will be happy with the resulting power
Old 06-17-2006, 10:37 PM

well the question is what kind of supercharger would be the most logical to install on a TPI motor to achieve good HP gains and still maintain driveability and dependability
Old 06-17-2006, 10:41 PM

I run procharger on my 95 Z28,
very happy with it, but I'd build a low compression motor with aluminum heads if you were going the fresh route
Old 06-18-2006, 07:05 PM

a fresh motor that is specifically built for a SC would not only give you peace of mind but will also give you far better results than just plopping one on.

There are a ton of things that you need to look into when using forced induction, compression ratio, high flowing heads, cam specifically for a SC application, fuel delivery. Then once you start making power every other weak link along the line will end up wearing down and eventually failing (tranny and rear end).

its a nice thought to want to sc your car and get nice numbers, whatever you are going after. i've seen a few too many blown and blown apart engines to just go at it halfway.

go for the fresh motor and do some research specifically for what you want to get out of the car.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:52 PM

You guys are telling him that a normal mileage engine is not capeable of a blower when LT1 guys do it like clockwork. Aluminum heads aside, nothing is wrong with the Procharger L98 system. We have a michigan member on this board with this exact combo and it has been flawless for years. Mid 12's at the track, cruise it whenever. His biggest mods are: Pro-Built trans, mild converter, BFG drag radials on stock rims. Hooks like a champ and GOES.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by AutoRoc
You guys are telling him that a normal mileage engine is not capeable of a blower when LT1 guys do it like clockwork. Aluminum heads aside, nothing is wrong with the Procharger L98 system. We have a michigan member on this board with this exact combo and it has been flawless for years. Mid 12's at the track, cruise it whenever. His biggest mods are: Pro-Built trans, mild converter, BFG drag radials on stock rims. Hooks like a champ and GOES.
I think the problem is that your buddy/the guy you know in MI/whoever he is, is NOT the norm, he is the exception to the rule. Kinda like the few people running fast track cars (4th Gens) on stock 10 bolts, rare, not normal. I would say, overall, it is bad advice to tell someone to just "throw a blower" on a stock motor, especially one that has some miles on it, and not expect them to have some sort of problems. Not to say that there is anything wrong with S/C's or anything like that, just, that as someone pointed out, you go and had 125+ hp to your car, things that were holding together ok may stop holding together as well as they used to.............parts wear out, parts wear out much faster when you add 100 or more hp all of a sudden.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:38 PM

It's true i would worry about the mileage of any motor you decide to put that kind of bolt on with. But with the TPI those things just do not breath like they should, if anything you are probably only going to gain the power you would feel if you put heads/manifold/plenum/etc. on the car - simply because the TPI unit is such a bottleneck. I wouldnt start with the SC first, I would invest in heads and a better flowing plenum/monifold combination. With a carb and a good intake thrown on a TPI 350 people have shown pretty good numbers though, so if the car is tuned right and not done half assed it should be fine with the SC kit - so long as you arent insanley abusive with it, if you are things will break.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:04 PM

I think alot of it has to do with, 1) the condition of the engine (how many mile/was it abused) and 2) thee amount of boost. TPI's do well on about 3#'s of boost with very little or no problems. Sure if you go and abuse it you WILL kill it, and the more boost the sooner it will die. Wether it cost effective to run a SC with low boost is a whole differant animal, it just depends on the cost of the SC. I got mine for $600 and at 3#'s boost it's been good to me.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by IROC-T
I think alot of it has to do with, 1) the condition of the engine (how many mile/was it abused) and 2) thee amount of boost. TPI's do well on about 3#'s of boost with very little or no problems. Sure if you go and abuse it you WILL kill it, and the more boost the sooner it will die. Wether it cost effective to run a SC with low boost is a whole differant animal, it just depends on the cost of the SC. I got mine for $600 and at 3#'s boost it's been good to me.
I am just curious (not slamming you AT ALL) but what kind of power diff are you getting with 3 lbs? I know a lot of guys running S/C's and the least I have seen them run is 5-6 lbs.......granted they are not on TPI motors but 3 lbs seems a little low to ME.

Although I am sure that at 3 lbs, your risk of breaking things is minimized, which is a VERY good thing.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by AutoRoc

LT1 is kind of in a league all by itself,
not just cause of the aluminum head,

LT1's have reverse cooling which allows for some really high compression ratios on low octane fuel,

LT1's and LS1's use the same compression ratio but from factory, 91 is required on an LS1 but only recommended on an LT1,

make it the ideal application for boost and high octane fuel
Old 06-25-2006, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rottluver
I am just curious (not slamming you AT ALL) but what kind of power diff are you getting with 3 lbs? I know a lot of guys running S/C's and the least I have seen them run is 5-6 lbs.......granted they are not on TPI motors but 3 lbs seems a little low to ME.

Although I am sure that at 3 lbs, your risk of breaking things is minimized, which is a VERY good thing.
The HP gain is a little under 50% at 3#'s, and it is an older Paxton third gen kit. I could raise the boost by going to a bigger pulley, but I'm more into keeping the car pristeen (no beatings) now than when I installed the SC. Most kits now do come with higher boost ratings and if the engine is in decent shape should do well with 5 or 6#'s, again if your going to beat on it at every stop light you WILL kill it.