3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

strange ticking noise...???

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 03:39 PM

strange ticking noise...???

so when im driving on a bridge or next to a building or something i can hear this ticking noise echoing off the walls. it sounds almost like there is a bolt or something in my centcaps just rolling around or something (i checked them and there is nothing) and it doesn't make the sound unless i am moving.

im guessing its m front end bearings. anyone else have a similar problem or know what it is?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:19 PM

Re: strange ticking noise...???

I had the same thing one time. A ticking sound. It was a screw I ran over in my tire. I could only hear it if it echoed off something. I could not get your link to work.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:59 PM

I've had the same sound for years now. I always chalked it up to not bending the ears back on the brake pads over the calipers. My noise goes away when I hit the brakes. My brakes will probably need changing this year. I only put 4,000 miles a year on my IROC so it has been almost 4 years since they were last changed. Driving me nuts!
Old 07-23-2006, 02:18 AM

Do you have aftermarket rims? My Centerlines and so does my buddies Mustangs click like crazy. If I remove the center cap its all quiet. I just took some felt tape and ran it around the edge of the center cap where it contacts the rim.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by roosterjuicer
so when im driving on a bridge or next to a building or something i can hear this ticking noise echoing off the walls. it sounds almost like there is a bolt or something in my centcaps just rolling around or something (i checked them and there is nothing) and it doesn't make the sound unless i am moving.

im guessing its m front end bearings. anyone else have a similar problem or know what it is?

It may very well be an exhaust leak at the exhaust manifolds. Do me a favor, put the car in park and slowly bring the rpms up to say 3000rpm and listen carefully...maybe get a friend to listen outside the car. If the ticking gets faster proportionally with the engine RPM, then it is probably an exhaust leak. Check all bolts and make sure they are screwed in tightly. Check the bolts at where the exhaust manifolds connect to the Y-Pipe as well. If you dont hear the ticking, then it is NOT the exhaust, and now you know it has to do with something on the car whilst rolling (maybe something with the wheels as mentioned).

There is also a chance that your ticking could be from a loose rocker arm, but that is less likely than the exhaust leak. Again, if you dont hear ticking while in park, then this is not your issue either.

Post back and tell us what you find.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:30 PM

My bet is Tom87's idea is right, brake pad drag. If the ears aren't bent over tight the pad drags on the rotor and pulls up and drops(click sound) over and over. VW brakes do this alot, nothing to worry about. If it bothers you bend the tabs on the pads more.