3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

SECURITY LIGHT - Alarm or Car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 02:05 AM

SECURITY LIGHT - Alarm or Car?

I have been experiencing a "SECURITY" issue the past few months. It happens COMPLETELY Out of the blue so it VERY hard to diagnose or show.

I have a Viper 5904 2-way alarm (If that matters any) and I remote start the car nearly 90% of the time. RANDOMLY the car will not start. Absolutely no sound. I hope in the car assuming the battery is dead and while there is FULL battery power, when you either remote start in from sitting IN the car, OR put the key in the ignition and turn the key you can clearly see SECURITY stays on.

This usually indicates there is a pass-key issue.. Either a malfunction of the sensor, dirty chip, damaged chip, wrong key.. (if not trying to break in with different keys with different resistant chips).

HOWEVER the CHIP itself and I BELIEVE the sensor in the ignition cylider, AND/OR Ignition cylinder itself FLIES OUT THE DOOR does it not? since it's not the key causing it. After all when you remote start it, you don't put a key in the ignition.

It has NEVER done it with the car since this time likely only because I always remote start the car. Course if I wait for 5 minutes or more the car will start right up with the key. AND if I try to turn the key before the 5 minutes is up from the time I remote started it, the timer will reset and I must wait longer..

So my question is:

WHO do I take the car to?

DEALER? or the ALARM SHOP?

Both would be ** VERY ** hard for me with my work schedule to get an appointment so I don't want to waste time and money if it does not pertain to the work needing to be done to fix it.

If the CAR itself is at fault (ie. the Resistance sensor, or the Ignition Cylider) WOULD remote starting still cause a problem even tho the key is not even inserted?
Could it be the BYPASS that the alarm shop installed only because it can do it WITHOUT having to put a key in to cause it..

Thanks!