3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Running LT1 cam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 03:13 PM

Re: Running LT1 cam?

18 year old budget, I kinda take offense to that. Yeah I was 18 when I had my thirdgen, and I bought AFR from TPIS, the TPIS Mini-Ram2, cam, 355, T56, Dana 44, etc. I think it depends how hard you wanna work for something, and how bad ya want it. Like Me and others have said, its just not worth the hassle to put that cam in an L98. If you can convert the heads over then thats super go for it...but your L98 heads can flow plenty with a little love, and bigger valves. A custom cam is about $50 more than an off the shelf cam for a billet core..which is better. I would run the stock cam with a HSR before I would take the time and money on a LT1 cam. You can switch to some 1.6 or 1.7 rockers and get probably as much lift as that cam has with your stocker. Let me ask you this are you going to stop modding your car when you get to a 14 flat or what...Its good to have a short term goal, and a long term goal. If your short term goal is a 14.0...then your long term goal could be low 12's. Look at the big picture man, I have already wrote this in another thread about Shorty headers vs. Long tubes....do you want to do it 2 times? Do it once and do it right.

Kyle
Old 07-24-2005, 12:58 AM

my 18 year old budget also consists of an 80 hour week, thats 2 full time jobs, I work plenty hard for what I have. Ive never found 1.7 rockers for these cars, if you could find a link for me that might be what I do instead. 14.0 is probably all this car will do, after that, it will probably be turned into more of a show car
Old 07-24-2005, 08:50 AM

the two places that I know of that sells 1.7 rockers are the Comp Hi-techs ( overkill), and the Scorpion rockers. Do a search for Scorpion in LT1 tech and you can find out where to find them.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:18 PM

This guy asked for help, not a talking to about hard work. You need to get off your high horse. It sounds like you had it a lot better when you were young than we did. But, keep that to yourself. I don't feel like reading about somebody who wants to brag.

By the way!!!!!!! I have read about all your setups, and everyone of them are horrible combinations. Why don't you try and learn the concepts of building an engine instead of buying the most expensive part out there. Or at least quit giving advise.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:20 PM

Now that I am through with that!!! Let's get back to the question.

I agree that you are spinning your wheels. I don't think you will be happy with the results. I know you are on a budget, but it just doesn't seem like the best solution.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by dahaus
This guy asked for help, not a talking to about hard work. You need to get off your high horse. It sounds like you had it a lot better when you were young than we did. But, keep that to yourself. I don't feel like reading about somebody who wants to brag.

By the way!!!!!!! I have read about all your setups, and everyone of them are horrible combinations. Why don't you try and learn the concepts of building an engine instead of buying the most expensive part out there. Or at least quit giving advise.
My setups were horrible huh? is that so, how fast does your crap go, don't tell me I don't know about setups. When I was young huh, I am 20 years old, and bought everything myself, He made a comment that this was on a 18 year old budget, yeah i was there too...but I worked for what I had..dick. I wasn't bragging, yeah if he wants to go 14.0 I am sure your the guy to help him. lol.

Next, you haven't read about all of my setups, because I am sure you don't know what my current setup is, or my last. I know plenty about engine building, and I don't buy the most expensive part...i buy stuff that works...and i don't cheap out and buy cheaper stuff that I HOPE will work. I'll continue to give advice, and i will continue to say you are a jackass.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:40 PM

Spoken like a true 20 year old!!!!!
Old 07-24-2005, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by dahaus
Spoken like a true 20 year old!!!!!
Your new around here, and I'll fill you in on something...keep on the topic in the threads instead of picking people out and running your trap. You don't know me, and my advice was fine...along with everyone else...they did agree with what I said. What you wrote had no technical base, nor did it stay on subject. You wanna bash me, bring it to the PM's...I'll take your criticism. Sorry you didnt wanna hear my little story that I was 18 and I worked for what I had...rather hear that than your little sob story about me having it better than you .

To thread starter, here is a link to some Scorpion rockers, hope that helps.
http://www.flatlanderracing.com/scor...chevySelfAlign
Old 07-24-2005, 02:51 PM

You know that's funny!!!! I have actually been working on that with some of my associates. Thanks for the free advertising.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:59 PM

I want to appoligize to everybody who has added to this thread!!! I didn't mean for it to turn into a huge bashing full of fowl language. I may be new hear, but not new to the industry or third gen camaros. I have been very impressed with some of the entries on this site and hope that I can add some insight.

Thanks

Austin
Old 07-24-2005, 04:32 PM

Appology accepted. lol. Welcome to CamaroZ28.com, please enjoy your stay.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:08 PM

see we can all get along! and as for the cam, after doing more research i found out that it is infact not .470ish like i thought but more like .450, maybe someone told me that here but i cant find it now. So i guess im just going to sell them and maybe find some other stuff. But my car broke last night first time its ever not started for me in the 2 years that ive owned it.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:56 PM

Maybe we can help you with that problem too!!!!
Old 07-25-2005, 12:20 AM

cc89 i was the one who gave u the link over at tgo t the lt1 cam spec`s, thats were u got the 450 from, like i said over there u will get the same results, even better on the one side if u get a set of 1.6 rockers, and much easier and quicker to install, not much down time, lol even quicker for me i got all my smog crap removed so the pass side is nice and free
Old 07-25-2005, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by cc89formula
i realize that the heads have reverse coolant flow, but that is easily fixed. and i also realize they can be made to run better than a 14, you dont realize my 18 year old budget though. And a 14 is all I want to do.

And to the forced induction comment, again, 18 year old budget
An LT1 cam will get you no where near a 14.0 flat at 3700ft above sea level. I think you'd be hard pressed to get to 14.0 in Death Valley which is below sea level and It wouldn't even get close to a brand new L98 (circa 1989) to going 14.0 at Sea Level. I'll give you an example. Where I race, its between 300 and 650 feet above sea level depending on the track. I did headers, full exhaust, removed catalytic convertor and all emissions crap, new cam (much bigger than an LT1 cam), gears and a new torque convertor. All that netted me 13.7's. ONLY after custom tuning.

EDIT: Also, the 305 guys are the ones who do the LT1 cam, not the 350 guys. Its like "a step up" from what we already have. And not worth all the work that you put into it. However, with 1.7 rockers it may just do the trick. I would be very wary though about valvetrain control with a rocker as huge as a 1.7. It changes the geometry no matter what anyone says. I'd say new springs are a must in any cam swap, regardless of whether or not its bigger or smaller. Its like the tides, its one of the things you just do.

Last edited by RedIrocZ-28; 07-25-2005 at 12:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Running LT1 cam?