3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

removing unnecessary wiring and electronics...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 04:55 PM

removing unnecessary wiring and electronics...

I'm trying to "clean up" my engine bay and get rid of everything I don't need. I have a Holley 4-bbl. carb. and I'm basically just trying to pull all unnecessary wiring. I know some of it isn't even used anymore, but what do I NEED to keep, I've pulled the temp sensor, EST, map, a/c harnesses, what else can I safely pull out? and what are the 2 other "boxes" that are up by the map sensor? can I remove them?
Thanks in advance
Old 11-14-2006, 11:23 AM

We're not phsycic dude,what year/make/model of car are you talking about here? What kinda motor is in the car and what did it come w/ frmo the factory?
Old 11-16-2006, 10:55 PM

ok sorry....
1985 Chevrolet, camaro, z-28, 305 TBI
Old 11-19-2006, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by xdamagedx
ok sorry....
1985 Chevrolet, camaro, z-28, 305 TBI
Well that made things worse. TBI did not exist in 1985. SO!, is it another year, or is it an original 4bbl car, or did you mean TPI that you swapped a carb onto?
Old 11-19-2006, 09:47 PM

originally a 4 barrel... my bad, again
Old 11-19-2006, 09:55 PM

Heh you can remove the entire harness....the only things you need to keep are, alt wire, dist wire, temp send unit wire and oil send unit wire the lights, horn ect is on a seperate harness
Old 11-20-2006, 06:11 AM

The engine bay should have a harness entirely dedicated to the ECM and all sensors required for running it. Remove that harness and everything that it connects to. All other electrical items that are not part of the ECMs control will have a separate harness, and should still work.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:53 AM

ok, my ECM harness goes back behind the distributor and hooks into like a "T" that's bolted to the bell housing, and hooks to all the wires coming out the other side, is there a way to disconnect it here? or do I have to pull individual wires out? also, under the passenger side of the dash, theres another box next to the ECM that has a connector wired into the same group that comes through the firewall, what is this and do i need it?
thanks for all the help
Old 11-21-2006, 06:33 AM

Just pull all the wires you see and that should clean up the engine compartment. The car won;t run but who cares, it looks good. when I read your Post and Knowledge of cars don't touch anything.

Last edited by 87DJP2001; 11-21-2006 at 06:35 AM.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:14 AM

I would'nt cut anything...that way if you end up needing it...you can plug it back in....also, if you look under the passenger side front fender...theres a plastic peice(under fender panel) that will come out to give you access to the wiring harness thay goes under the dash where the computer is....theres a clip on the inside that holds it in there....from there you can unplug the wiring harness from the computer and remove the wiring harness without hacking it up....making it reusable if you need it.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by 87DJP2001
Just pull all the wires you see and that should clean up the engine compartment. The car won;t run but who cares, it looks good. when I read your Post and Knowledge of cars don't touch anything.
Wow, thanks for helping out the new guy... douche bag. Nothing like teasing me for asking for help, not everyone was born with the great automotive knowledge you obviously were, thanks for making my visit to this board a pleasant one. And I'm also sorry to force you into reading my post with intentions of giving you a more technical question and failed miserably.

Ryan: thanks, I was wondering how the wires passed through the firewall and with what restriction...
I'm still curious to if I need the other "mystery box" next to the ECM. The harness comes through the firewall and splits into 3 different connectors (if I remember right), 2 go to the ECM, and the other goes to this other box. Sorry for the lack of detail.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:59 AM

Thumbs down

Wow, thanks for helping out the new guy... douche bag. Nothing like teasing me for asking for help, not everyone was born with the great automotive knowledge you obviously were, thanks for making my visit to this board a pleasant one. And I'm also sorry to force you into reading my post with intentions of giving you a more technical question and failed miserably.

Ryan: thanks, I was wondering how the wires passed through the firewall and with what restriction...
I'm still curious to if I need the other "mystery box" next to the ECM. The harness comes through the firewall and splits into 3 different connectors (if I remember right), 2 go to the ECM, and the other goes to this other box. Sorry for the lack of detail.
DOUCHE BAGE yourself, and pull those wires. Good name xdamagedx
Old 11-21-2006, 11:56 AM

I don't really know what the other mystery box does...I just know that the wiring is easily pulled thru the under fenderwell if removed....a manual may explain it better...and tell you what the "mystery box" does...rember there is a clip..that holds the wiring harness in place in the"pass-thru" location under the fender....you can use a screw driver to pry it up and off....if you had a manual it would also tell you the pin-out of each wire on the conectors...so you know where they go...
Old 11-21-2006, 09:50 PM

...still curious to if I need the other "mystery box" next to the ECM. The harness comes through the firewall and splits into 3 different connectors (if I remember right), 2 go to the ECM, and the other goes to this other box. Sorry for the lack of detail.
If it were an '85 TPI originally I'd say the other box would be the MAF control module.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:25 PM

thanks Raul, do I need it? (assuming that's what it is)
Ryan: I ordered the haynes manual a few days ago, smart minds think alike?

Quick Reply: removing unnecessary wiring and electronics...