3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Opinions... dont know anything about 3rd gens.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 09:07 AM

Post Opinions... dont know anything about 3rd gens.

I curently have a 1997 Z28, but tis costring me alot in insurance and also payments for the car itself. (im 22).

Im considering getting a house and selling my car (for obvious reasons). However, I do want to get a older performance car. I really like the IROC look. Unfortunetly I cant afford much more then around 5G canadian for it.. I see plenty around here for that price. I want to know how slow it would be compared to my curent LT1(low 14 sec 1]4mile) What should I be looknig for when buying a used 3 gen..model..engine type?... and also how much would I be looking at to put the car in the mid 13's.... and what do I need?

I know plenty about the LT1's.. cc305 cam 1.6 RR hooker LT's some DR's for the track with a cutout and you can be close to the 12's (some have 12.9). But when it comes to pre 92 camaros I have no clue what to look for.

HELP guys!
Im also considering a 5.0 stang... but id prefer GM of course. Let me know your opinions on what to do.

I wouldnt be driving the car to much, probably leave it in the garage and build it up till I hit 25 or so (my insurance will go down).

HELP!

------------------
1997 Z28 M6 Stock

[This message has been edited by AAAAAAA (edited August 08, 2002).]
Old 08-08-2002, 10:21 AM

Well, Im like you man, I just bought an 87 IROC and I love it. If you have the option go witht the 350, but mine is just a 305 and it has plenty of power. If you buy the 350, it wont take much to put you in the 13's but with the 305, your lookin at a nice size stack of bills. I got a really good deal on my car, it had been setting in the guys garage for 7 months, and he pulled it out one day to get to something, and I just happened to see it, and I stopped, and it had new paint, new seats, new dash and only 85,000 original miles and I made an offer of 3,500 and got it, so 5g's is plenty to get you a nice IROC.
Old 08-08-2002, 11:28 AM

I'm 23 ... similar thing here ...

Just replaced my 95 with a 92 305. I like it Paid under 4k for it and it's just begging to be modded. Insurance is dirt cheap, and the wife won't bug me about voiding my warrenty LOL.

------------------
James D Montigny
1992 Pontiac Firebird 5.0
Bone Stock (For Now)

The members of this board are enthusiasts, not experts.
Please consider everything that you read an opinion.
Old 08-08-2002, 12:44 PM

getting a 305 into the 13's is pretty easy. low 13's or 12's will require some work. the nicest thing about thirdgens is that for about $300 you can have everythign you need to start burning your own custom chips, so your ecm is always perfect for your mods. that makes it very easy to get teh most out of your combo.

later
tim

------------------
NJ SPEEDER
91 Camaro RS
305TBI/700R4
12's Coming Soon
2nd Annual East Coast F-Body Nationals
July 20,2002
www.geocities.com/njspeeder
My MAFB.ORG Home Page
http://www.mycar.net/mafb/registry/detail.cfm?id=299
Old 08-08-2002, 12:59 PM

What do you meen burning chips? with 4th gens chips do nothing.. So Im guessing those chips or for tuning after you put a certain mod like lets say a CAM?

Also what stock 1\4 mile times would a 305 or 350 do? Wich year would be best? What should I look for when purchasing?

What mods work best with this car and what are the prices for each mod?

What are comon problems associated with 3rd gens? example, 93 to 97 problems would be: electric window motor keeps dying all the time, overheating problems...stuff like that.

any info would be great!

------------------
1997 Z28 M6 Stock
Old 08-08-2002, 01:13 PM

Also, how is the engine bay? In 4th gens they basically made a exact molding for the engine and then they slid it in to that molding that reaches into underneath the windshield. Its rediculisly tight.

How is it in 3rd gens? Is there lots of room to work, are mods easy to put in? Like are headers easy?

------------------
1997 Z28 M6 Stock
Old 08-08-2002, 01:16 PM

Well the engine isn't shoved up under the cowl like in a 4 gen bit it is still really cramped.

------------------
Rob
1985 Camaro
305 4bbl
IROC Rims
1970 Chevelle SS
396 factory Bore 402
All Numbers Match.
Old 08-08-2002, 01:36 PM

My brother owns a 95 Z28 and I have worked on it on several occasions, I have an 87 IROC and it is MUCH easier to work on, coming out of your car, you will think there is plenty of room.

NJSpeeder: tell me how to put my car into the 13's, I was told it was rather hard, what do I need and how much money? I have a 220 converter, and I was thinking on MSD and headers, how close am I with that? Help me out.

------------------
Blue 87 IROC-Z Camaro,305 TPI
3" Flowmaster
Old 08-08-2002, 01:38 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AAAAAAA:
with 4th gens chips do nothing.. </font>
I had Ed Wright (fastchip) do a custom setup for my previous car (Very custom engine). We sat on the dyno for a few hours fine tuning it. Gains were very siginificant, blowing the doors off the Jet Stage II I had previously. Granted, the custom work cost quite a bit. His "generic" LT1 programs are very well done. I have heard reports that he may no nolonger be willing to take on custom work on anything other than LT1. *shrug*

I found that the ability to edit your own chip is very popular (and inexpensive) with those lucky enough to own a vehicle which can be done that way. Does anyone know where such equipement can be obtained? I'd love to take a crack at it. (no pun intended)

------------------
James D Montigny
Bone Stock (For Now)

Old 08-08-2002, 01:41 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marek85:
Well the engine isn't shoved up under the cowl like in a 4 gen bit it is still really cramped.

</font>
I absolutely love the 3rd gen engine bay. Granted, there is little room to work around it (IE spark plugs). It sure is nice to be able to see my distributor cap The 4th gen engine bay was a PITA, even with an engine hoist.

------------------
James D Montigny
Bone Stock (For Now)

Old 08-08-2002, 02:09 PM

First off, with whoever, I agree that when you get lots of mods going that getting a reprogram for betetr tuning can work wonders... I thought you were takling stock..just changing the chips. But I see you ment for when you tune.

Here are my questions:

1)Are those camaro engines carburated?

2)1\4 mile times for the 305 and 350?

3)TPI TBI... anything else out there? Whats what? Generally whats the difference. Wich camaro came with wich? Wich one do I want?

4)Wich Mods work the best? Can you put in the same CAM that you can get for LT1's? I saw some one takling about the hotcam kit...

5) Anyone think I should get a same year mustang 5.0 instead? I'm not sure but I beleive they are close to LT1 speed stock. I would much rather have t-tops and a chevy emblem... but I need info to make my decision.

thanx everyone!
Old 08-08-2002, 03:10 PM

In answer of some of your ?'s, 1) it depends on what year you get as to whether or not it's carbarated or fuel injected,2) 1/4 mile times for a 350 is anywhere from mid 14's to low 15's, and the 305 will probably run high 15's to low 16's, so about a second difference. But it wont take too awful much to put either of these in the 13's.And about the Mustan, look they are faster, but Im a die hard chevy fan, I would rather drive a 85 Celebirty than to drive a Ford Mustang, so I cant say much about that one. I hope I answered some questions, and If Im wrong on those times, someone correct me, Im new the the 3rd Gen too, I've been caught up in the LS1 hype hopeing to get one, but then money became and issue, soo.....yeah, Im not going to tell you my life story so I'll just stop. Good luck man.

------------------
3" Flowmaster
Old 08-08-2002, 03:17 PM

Whoops, I triped, The 5.0 Mustangs are faster than the 3rd gen, but for the most part, Camaro's will spank a Mustang's bottom till it's good'n'pink. That's just my point of view.

------------------
3" Flowmaster
Old 08-08-2002, 05:37 PM
WTF

If you want a eally nice 3rd Gen that will turen heads you just buy mine, it's recently for sale!

-Marc-

------------------
1992 25th anniversary edition Z28. 5.7 TPI. Slightly modded.

Check out some pics of my baby:
Pics of the car
Me, looking like a fool
I'm on the left
Old 08-08-2002, 05:39 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rage:
Whoops, I triped, The 5.0 Mustangs are faster than the 3rd gen, but for the most part, Camaro's will spank a Mustang's bottom till it's good'n'pink. That's just my point of view.

</font>

What the hell is that suppose to mean?

So Im assuming that just like the 4th gens, its best to start with full exhaust? How much to hooker long tubes cost for the 3rd gens? And aside from a new chip, what else are good power mods? Im assuming CAM and RR's? Would a LT1 stock CAM net good power increase on 3rd gens?

------------------
1997 Z28 M6 Stock

Quick Reply: Opinions... dont know anything about 3rd gens.